Sign in with
Your question

Which mATX MB to replace old regular ATX?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2010 3:31:08 PM

My first post here.

I have Compaq S3200NX ATX (about 7yrs old): full details here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=e...)

To summarize it has:

AMD Athlon XP2400+ 2.0 GHz CPU
Frontside bus speed 266 MHz
Processor architecture Socket A
Chipset Via KM266
Hard drive 230 GB, ATA
Memory 1GB DDR SDRAM

I need to put the components in a mATX case for use in a smaller room.

Can someone recommend a MB that will work with my RAM and ATA HD?, mainly will be using it for nongaming, web surfing.

thanks,

gychang

a c 435 V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 4:29:53 PM

Do you need the current windows operating system? If so, then shop for a newer hp chipset board on ebay; if you already have a regular windows dvd, then go for a 785 or 790 chipset board. Your main choice is whether to use ddr2 or ddr3; I would spend the extra $20 at this point and get a 2x2gb kit of ddr3 at the best price you can find for corsair, crucial, kingston, pqi, pny, gskill, or samsung. Those are the brands I trust.
m
l
February 6, 2010 5:12:25 PM

I don't need a new operating system (have XP DVD).

Here on newegg, will the first MB ($59) work?, I have PATA HD, and DDR memory (1G). Will this board allow use of my PATA HD and RAM?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

would appreciate specific recommendation on newegg, rather a newbie on the newer PC stuff.

thanks for helping.

gychang
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2010 6:03:26 PM

As far as I can tell, you will have to look elsewhere to find mobos that support DDR memory and/or socket A processors. If you don't mind upgrading both (which you probably would, since then you would have a 2/3 new computer) the task becomes much easier. So your options (in whatever order): 1. Abandon project 2. Upgrade CPU, mobo, and RAM 3. Look at a different e-tailer.
m
l
February 6, 2010 6:38:52 PM

thanks so much, likely 1...

gychang
m
l
!