Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Screen Display Xtremely Odd Problem [Need Help Badly!!!] :(

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • LCD
  • Graphics
  • Displays
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 5, 2009 9:23:32 PM

hey guys, today just bought a new LCD screen. havin some problem with the display.

ok. im using 2 PC connect to 1 LCD screen. using KVM switcher to switch between them...

problem is that this LCD display having some issue. Im using 24" viewsonic LCD with 1920x1080 res... i can see some kind of wave effect on my screen for my PC01. just minor but yet annoying. as for when i switch to my PC02, it is worse!!! the wave effect more obvious and sometimes i hardly read things on the screen.

note: top part of the screen don really have those wave effect thingy.... bottom part minor.. only middle part is has the obvious wave effect thingy. -.-


this i personally dont think is LCD problem as i already did some test.
1st- direct plug the cable into graphic card (without go thru KVM), i get perfect sharp screen.
2nd- using lower resolution such as 1280x720 or 1600x900, i don get those wave effect even it goes through KVM switcher. (the lower the resolution, the less wave effect.)


can anyone helps me on this?
im stucked. btw since im using KVM switcher, im using D-SUB cable. i think usually ppl call that analog?

yea... that's it about my problem...
hope to get some help pls...

More about : screen display xtremely odd problem badly

September 5, 2009 9:47:56 PM

You didn't mention whether your #2 PC works OK on the monitor when direct connected by itself.

If it does, isn't it clear that your KVM is degrading the signal to the point where the monitor cannot synch to it?
m
0
l

Best solution

September 5, 2009 10:18:49 PM

DeeteeCG said:
1st- direct plug the cable into graphic card (without go thru KVM), i get perfect sharp screen.

It seems you have already located the issue.
Does your monitor have two inputs?
If so, plug one system into each input and use the monitor it self to switch between inputs.
If it does not, you will either need a new KVM or to manually switch the cables as needed...
Share
Related resources
September 6, 2009 3:58:44 AM

The total length of the cables and the quality of those cables or the switch are probably the cause.
m
0
l
September 6, 2009 6:58:08 AM

thanks guys for the replies...

Twoboxer said:
You didn't mention whether your #2 PC works OK on the monitor when direct connected by itself.

If it does, isn't it clear that your KVM is degrading the signal to the point where the monitor cannot synch to it?

just tested on direct connect to my PC#2, no problem too.
so i guess u are right, problem must be with the kvm switcher/its cables.


outlw6669 said:
It seems you have already located the issue.
Does your monitor have two inputs?
If so, plug one system into each input and use the monitor it self to switch between inputs.
If it does not, you will either need a new KVM or to manually switch the cables as needed...

yea my monitor does have 2 inputs. but it doesnt has USB port for me to connect my keyboard and mouse. that's the only issue left if i would use inputs switching methods. unless i get 2 sets of it.

I'm not sure if new KVM swicher will help in my situation, as the kvm seems to work pretty well in lower resolution.


geofelt said:
The total length of the cables and the quality of those cables or the switch are probably the cause.

i didnt know and nvr thought of the total length of the cables will affect the display quality. Im not sure about the kvm switcher as it works good in lower resolution. so im now suspect the cable are the cause of all these crapz.

i just found there are 1 pin missing in all the cables that came along with kvm switcher.
im wondering is this the reason why my problem exist? but these cables are defaults from the kvm switche i bought.
below are the missing pin in my kvm switcher cables.
sry for the bad quality though.

m
0
l
September 6, 2009 7:34:50 AM

Pin 9 is a keying pin, no connection.

http://pinouts.ws/db15-vga-pinout.html

As you can tell from my name, I have some small experiences with 2 PCs, and IMHO a KVM is rarely the solution. I'd rather pop a second, $100 monitor and a $25 wireless mouse and keyboard on my desk, and dual connect the #2 PC to the little monitor as well as my main monitor. Use little screen for simultaneous, use main screen for clarity/size.

But I suppose if you only need to access the #2 PC rarely, then a good KVM is worthwhile.
m
0
l
September 6, 2009 9:14:59 AM

DeeteeCG said:
...yea my monitor does have 2 inputs. but it doesnt has USB port for me to connect my keyboard and mouse. that's the only issue left if i would use inputs switching methods. unless i get 2 sets of it...
[/url]

No biggie, just keep using the KVM to switch the USB :p 
It may be a little more of a PITA to switch the inputs on the monitor and throw the switch on the KVM for the keyboard/mouse but it should get the job done...
m
0
l
September 6, 2009 10:28:49 AM

Twoboxer said:
Pin 9 is a keying pin, no connection.

http://pinouts.ws/db15-vga-pinout.html

so the one im missing is pin 9? what does the [key] do? will it be the one affect my display problem thru kvm?


Twoboxer said:

As you can tell from my name, I have some small experiences with 2 PCs, and IMHO a KVM is rarely the solution. I'd rather pop a second, $100 monitor and a $25 wireless mouse and keyboard on my desk, and dual connect the #2 PC to the little monitor as well as my main monitor. Use little screen for simultaneous, use main screen for clarity/size.

But I suppose if you only need to access the #2 PC rarely, then a good KVM is worthwhile.

sorry, but i dont quite understand the bold part.
correct me if im wrong, do u mean that u using 2 pc. both pc connect to the main monitor using screen input switching between both pc while the 2nd pc u connect to little monitor for preview purpose? so for ur 2nd pc main monitor and little monitor are actually displaying the same thing?


my case is that im using 2 pc. 2 monitor. 1st pc get to connect to both monitor. 2nd pc only connect to 1 monitor. the monitor that connected by both pc are obviously im using kvm for it. as for another 1 i direct connect it into 1st pc.
rarely use 2nd pc though. it is mainly for my working purposes.


outlw6669 said:
No biggie, just keep using the KVM to switch the USB :p 
It may be a little more of a PITA to switch the inputs on the monitor and throw the switch on the KVM for the keyboard/mouse but it should get the job done...

what does PITA means/refers to?
wow, yea. that helps. lol. thanks for he suggestion, it works.. :D 
m
0
l
September 6, 2009 12:06:10 PM

PITA = Pain In The A$$ :D 
Glad to hear it is working for you now.
m
0
l
September 6, 2009 10:51:47 PM

DeeteeCG said:
so the one im missing is pin 9? what does the [key] do? will it be the one affect my display problem thru kvm?
A key pin position (in this case a missing pin in a male connector) allows for a closed up hole on the female connector. That arrangement can prevent someone from putting the connectors together backwards. Never noticed it on a VGA before though. That pin position carries no signal, makes no connection, is irrelevant to your issue.
DeeteeCG said:
sorry, but i dont quite understand the bold part.
correct me if im wrong, do u mean that u using 2 pc. both pc connect to the main monitor using screen input switching between both pc while the 2nd pc u connect to little monitor for preview purpose? so for ur 2nd pc main monitor and little monitor are actually displaying the same thing?
Yes, the signal from PC#2 is cloned, ie, 2 cables out displaying same thing. When I need to see the screen on both PCs, I use two screens. When I need only what's on PC#2, I press a button to display PC#2 on my main screen.
DeeteeCG said:
my case is that im using 2 pc. 2 monitor. 1st pc get to connect to both monitor. 2nd pc only connect to 1 monitor. the monitor that connected by both pc are obviously im using kvm for it. as for another 1 i direct connect it into 1st pc.
rarely use 2nd pc though. it is mainly for my working purposes.
My idol :)  A guy who apparently rarely works. JUST KIDDING. My setup is the reverse of yours . . . no reason why you can't connect both PCs to both monitors. And put a $30 wireless mouse/keyboard in a drawer for those rare occasions.

m
0
l
September 7, 2009 7:22:14 AM

every KVM i've had specifically stated the maximum supported resolution and refresh... and it has always been less than my normal monitor settings, naturally. grrrr.
m
0
l
September 7, 2009 8:59:25 AM

Twoboxer said:
A key pin position (in this case a missing pin in a male connector) allows for a closed up hole on the female connector. That arrangement can prevent someone from putting the connectors together backwards. Never noticed it on a VGA before though. That pin position carries no signal, makes no connection, is irrelevant to your issue.
Yes, the signal from PC#2 is cloned, ie, 2 cables out displaying same thing. When I need to see the screen on both PCs, I use two screens. When I need only what's on PC#2, I press a button to display PC#2 on my main screen.
My idol :)  A guy who apparently rarely works. JUST KIDDING. My setup is the reverse of yours . . . no reason why you can't connect both PCs to both monitors. And put a $30 wireless mouse/keyboard in a drawer for those rare occasions.

i see. thanks for the clear explanation.
and btw i do have my fix job. :p  this 2nd pc of mine are just for freelance job purposes at home. ^^;; this year not much freelance i got. lol.


tmike said:
every KVM i've had specifically stated the maximum supported resolution and refresh... and it has always been less than my normal monitor settings, naturally. grrrr.

i see... probably my kvm switcher doesnt support HD. hmm...
m
0
l
!