Sign in with
Your question

Whats the Equation? to changing your Virtual memory on a 64bit OS?

Last response: in Memory
February 6, 2010 4:02:07 PM

Hey Guys, I dont know much about Overclocking or anything to do with certian things you can do to increase Performance on your PC.

I have a E6300 Dual Core CPU on a DG965WH MOBO and one of the first things id like to learn is how to change the Virtual memory/Pageing File?

Iv got 6 gigs of ram running on a 64 Bit Win 7 ultimate OS... is there an equation to figure out the best way to set your virtual memory.
Correct me of im wrong but for a 32 bit OS you simply multiply 1.5 x the amount of ram? Or is it 2.5 x ram? Thank you for any help in understanding this issue :-)
Ed
a c 80 } Memory
February 6, 2010 5:58:39 PM

Unless your system is very low on RAM, just leave it alone. To increase performance, get a faster CPU or whatever resolves the bottleneck issue you're having.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2010 6:13:53 PM

The page file trick we used years ago is meaningless now with modern hardware, and especially modern Operating Systems. Just leave it set for Windows to manage it and forget about it.
As asked, exactly what kind of performance are you looking for? How is the system not behaving to your expectations? We can give some pointers if you let us know what the problem is!
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2010 6:15:58 PM

GhislainG is exactly right. If you were really using the paging file, the speed solution would be more RAM, not more pagefile. But with 6 gigs of ram, I don't see you running out of RAM anytime in the near future.
m
l
February 7, 2010 4:38:55 PM

jitpublisher said:
The page file trick we used years ago is meaningless now with modern hardware, and especially modern Operating Systems. Just leave it set for Windows to manage it and forget about it.
As asked, exactly what kind of performance are you looking for? How is the system not behaving to your expectations? We can give some pointers if you let us know what the problem is!

Thanks for responding guys, as for what performance im looking for? Well I guess anything that would help the PC run better...Im currently taking classes at New Horrizons, (computer school) and one of the things we talked about was virtual memory. Now i do have an older dell 4600 and 4500, the 4600 has 4 gigs of ram, 1 gig in each slot. and the 4500 has 2 gigs, 1 gig in each slot.

I guess first id like to know if there is anything i can change to get better performance, and i was under the impression if i were to change the virtual memory and place it on a second drive it would help in increasing the performance of the PC?

And Second Id like to see what i can do with my E6300 Dual Core CPU which is on a Intel DG965WH board. I don't know anything about over clocking the CPU/Memory but i would like to learn? Basically anything that can be done to get more power and better performance out of it. Iv got a 500 watt antec PSU and a geforce 9600 graphics card...i currently have windows 7 ultimate 64bit installed with 6 gigs of ram installed, however i could add 8 gigs if it would matter any...I dont game or anything, i really just want to learn how to do certain things/tweaks which would increase the speed or performance.

Right now im building a new PC...iv got a i7 860 with a Asus P7P55D-E Pro so that will be a huge jump from what iv been using. Now id like to learn how to do some overclocking just to learn how its done, ya know?

So any experienced knowledge as to this issue would be greatly appreciated :-) thanks and again any thoughts and incite will definitely help me, because i dont know a thing about this topic.

Thanks again,
Ed
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
February 7, 2010 5:20:23 PM

Sorry, but you probably can't overclock on a DG965WH motheroard.
m
l
February 7, 2010 6:48:59 PM

Quote:
[...]i was under the impression if i were to change the virtual memory and place it on a second drive it would help in increasing the performance of the PC?

A dedicated drive would be "faster", but most current day computers/OS, it doesn't matter much because Windows does a VERY good job pre-fetching data and using your active memory. But in a "perfect" world, you might have a dedicated small 15krpm scsi HD just for swap.
m
l
February 7, 2010 10:35:22 PM

So all in all is there any kind of overclocking i can do to the PC i have with an Intel E6300 http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41493

which is on an Intel DG965WH

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/pr...

I hear about all kinds of overclocking, i never wanted to mess with it afraid id break something, but now i feel iv got a little more confidence and slightly more knowledge to possibly try something or change a setting in the bios.

any ideas? Thanks!
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
February 7, 2010 11:09:21 PM

You'll be able to overclock the new PC with the i7-860 and the Asus P7P55D-E Pro.
m
l
!