Core and Shader Clocks

karma211

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I overclocked my palit 8500gt sonic and I've gotten some pretty good results. I would like to push it a bit further though to get some more performance. I've been doing some reading and have seen posts where some people claim that by unlinking the core and shader clocks and turning the core higher i can get better performance, while some posts say the opposite.
I have yet to try but i would just like to know what you guys think. Will unlinking those two clocks and turning up the core give me better performance or will it not make a difference?

Solution
D
I would say its card by card just like all overclocks. Some will do well one way some the other so try it both ways and see what works best for you. I usually leave them linked but im starting with a much stronger card and dont need to squeeze as much out of it ;) . I dont know what you play but i cant believe that 8500 is good for much even overclocked to the melting point lol.
D

Deleted member 217926

I would say its card by card just like all overclocks. Some will do well one way some the other so try it both ways and see what works best for you. I usually leave them linked but im starting with a much stronger card and dont need to squeeze as much out of it ;) . I dont know what you play but i cant believe that 8500 is good for much even overclocked to the melting point lol.

Solution

karma211

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Surprisingly i get decent performance out of it. Some of the games i play:

Call of Duty 4
max settings @1280x1024 (max anistropy no aa) - 30 to 40 fps

Crysis
High settings except shader at medium @ 1024x768 (no af no aa) - 25 to 30 fps

Bioshock
max settings 1280x1024 - 25 to 30 fps

O/C - 730 core 1460 shader and 730 mem