Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • AMD
  • CPUs
Last response: in Memory
February 6, 2010 5:15:54 PM

AMD Athlon64 X2 5200+ processor

Stupid amd fsb rubbish is confusing and cpu-z being unhelpful. I realise AMD use some hyper transport system instead, but when cpu-z tells me it has 1ghz HT links, I have no idea what that really means. Core bus speed is 200mhz though. I just dunno how to read this stuff I guess, how to convert the 1ghz HT link to whatever its supposed to be to be useful for calculating for RAM.

Afaik, its running at 200mhz, effective 400mhz.

I have a 2gb stick of ddr2 6400 ram, which is supposed to be 800mhz effective? But from what I can tell the processor is reducing that to 400mhz.

Regardless of any of this, cpu-z claims my memory is running at 373 mhz, which sounds rather random to me.

I'm pretty confused, what's going on?

More about : ram frequency confusion

a c 81 } Memory
a c 117 à CPUs
February 6, 2010 5:45:28 PM

Quote:
Regardless of any of this, cpu-z claims my memory is running at 373 mhz, which sounds rather random to me.
373 MHz x 2 = 746 MHz. CPU-Z reports the base frequency, but you need to multiply it by 2 if you use DDR (Double Data Rate) memory.
February 6, 2010 6:15:56 PM

It's not still lacking 50mhz tho?
Related resources
a c 81 } Memory
a c 117 à CPUs
February 6, 2010 6:23:29 PM

What are the BIOS settings for the CPU and memory? You should be able to set it to 800 MHz.
February 6, 2010 7:11:07 PM

Hi, although a bit of googling would tell you everything that you need to know.

The Hyper transport takes a base clock and uses a multiplier, in this case 5.

The ram however is not running at the correct speed, as suggested above you will need to set it correctly in the BIOS. It could be a faulty SPD falsely reporting the defautls to the BIOS or something else.
February 6, 2010 8:27:43 PM

I tried google alot tbh, I must have failed if its that simple :)  alot of what I came to were similar posts as mine anyway. Im about to restart for the bios settings and ill check back.

Also, the multiplier here says 13. Dunno if thats the same multiplier youre refering to, thats quite a difference I expect.
February 6, 2010 8:54:11 PM

No, that will be the cpu multiplier, the hypertransport has it's own multiplier.
!