Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to fix dell optiblex 620 no boot device available

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
January 23, 2012 4:49:39 PM

I can't restart computer any more with Windows xp. It always shows no boot device available. Recently a have used windows 7 from another hard disk installed instead of the original. Windows 7 starts without problem. When shifting to thye original harddisk with Windos xp it doesn't work anymore. It worked though well before. I guess I need different drivers for the different windows systems.
I appreciate your help, thanks
Peter
January 23, 2012 9:27:34 PM

Peter Kallfelz said:
I can't restart computer any more with Windows xp. It always shows no boot device available. Recently a have used windows 7 from another hard disk installed instead of the original. Windows 7 starts without problem. When shifting to thye original harddisk with Windos xp it doesn't work anymore. It worked though well before. I guess I need different drivers for the different windows systems.
I appreciate your help, thanks
Peter

Do you have both XP & Win7 drives active at same time, or do you take Win7 drive out, and replace it with the XP and try to boot ?
January 24, 2012 7:12:00 AM

the HDD one for Win xp and the other for Win7 are plugged in individually when in use. The idle one is unplugged. I have an external HDD for backing up data. It seems that this one has taken over the boot of Win xp for some reason. I will try to analyse what has happened and will revert.
Related resources
January 24, 2012 7:53:44 AM

Peter Kallfelz said:
the HDD one for Win xp and the other for Win7 are plugged in individually when in use. The idle one is unplugged. I have an external HDD for backing up data. It seems that this one has taken over the boot of Win xp for some reason. I will try to analyse what has happened and will revert.


Verify your boot sequence in setup (F2)
January 25, 2012 6:26:10 PM

Hi,

From the sound of it, I’m going to assume that you are running a dual boot configuration also known as a multiboot configuration between Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 7.

It is possible that the bootmgr (formerly known as the boot.ini in Windows XP) no longer contains the latest information. If this is the case, I recommend the Microsoft KB article How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows as a helpful resource to ensure the Windows 7 boot record is fully up-to-date.

You will also want to ensure that the boot order for both hard drives is properly configured. You will likely want the Windows 7 hard disk drive to be the boot volume as you are repairing the boot record on it. The secondary hard drive would be the remaining Windows XP hard disk drive.

Performing these steps will allow you to have a selectable boot menu containing options for both the Windows 7 operating system as well as the Windows XP operating system.

If the above outlined steps do not result in the desired solution you may want to ensure the disk is visible within the BIOS of your system.

The next step would be to perform a chkdsk scan on the hard drive in question. To perform this scan, you will want to boot from the Windows 7 Installation Media and select the “repair your computer” option in the left hand corner. Next you will select the “Command Prompt” option under the five system recovery options included within Windows 7. You will want to ensure the selected disk for the scan is the Windows XP hard drive. From there, you will follow the steps outlined in the previously recommended TechNet Library resource for chkdsk.

For additional assistance with disk read errors you may find the following TechNet forums thread A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart beneficial as well.

Finally, it is important to note that Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 Support will be ending April 8th, 2014. More information on why support is ending, what end of support means to customers and how Microsoft will help customers can be found here. It is wisest to begin migrating systems and all used applications over to Microsoft Windows 7. Should you still require the use of Windows XP for legacy software and devices as you begin your transition over to Windows 7, Microsoft has made Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC available for your convenience.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
January 25, 2012 6:59:26 PM

Peter Kallfelz said:
I can't restart computer any more with Windows xp. It always shows no boot device available. Recently a have used windows 7 from another hard disk installed instead of the original. Windows 7 starts without problem. When shifting to thye original harddisk with Windos xp it doesn't work anymore. It worked though well before. I guess I need different drivers for the different windows systems.
I appreciate your help, thanks
Peter

LISTEN to Jessica - She knows the solutions - Have seen other solutions proposed ...
February 4, 2012 4:52:13 PM

My situation has been resolved by giving the HDD of Windows xp a sound check. The disk failed mechanically and electronically. That is the end of the story and I try to re- collect my lost data.
I thank very much Jessica and ksiemb for their useful contributions that were very much appreciated.
Thanks and regards - Peter
February 4, 2012 6:59:27 PM

Peter Kallfelz said:
My situation has been resolved by giving the HDD of Windows xp a sound check. The disk failed mechanically and electronically. That is the end of the story and I try to re- collect my lost data.
I thank very much Jessica and ksiemb for their useful contributions that were very much appreciated.
Thanks and regards - Peter

Peter: Give "RECUVA" utility a try for lost files.
!