Marduke_12

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Ok, I have a question seems that I get multiple answers on this on other WWW pages, and since Tomshardware to me is dependable I am going to ask here.
Here is my delima, I bought a 850w psu from Apower and it crashed on me after 6 months. I need to know what is the watts I really need, on EVGA www page it says I need a 500w min for my graphics card, but other people says otherwise. Here is my current rig

Giabyte MA74GM-S2 MB
AMD PHENOM X3 8650 CPU
EVGA NVDIA 260 GRAPHICS CARD
2 DDR2 PC6400 4 GIG MEMORY CHIPS
5 STANDARD SATA HDS
2 IDE HDS
3 SMALL FANS FOR CASE
LIGHTS GOING AROUND FRONT OF CASE
3 USB'S BUT THEY 2 ARE SELF POWERED

I do not overclock. I know people say you get what you paid for, so I am not looking at a corsair or OZX PSU. what is the min wattage I would need, I am not planning on adding more hds, I am actuallt planing on buying a 2tb to replace 3 hds. Thanks for your time

Aaron Hart

I'm hoping the first part of that is some kind of typo.
A good quality 500-550 watt unit from either manufacturer would be more than sufficient.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are some exceptions such as the ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series card which are a little more energy efficient.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of brands with a reputation for high quality. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are stable, reliable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing other brands offering some high quality power supplies.

The high quality 500 to 550 watt power supplies are usually rated at 40 amps on the 12 volt rail(s). The high quality 700 to 750 watt power supplies are usually rated at 60 amps on the 12 volt rail(s).

The videos cards do not require all that current. In fact, most cards don't use very much current at all. The 12 volt rail(s) power many other components and account for about 75% of the power consumption.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
marduke, as dell user said, I hope you meant to say something else when you said "i am not looking for corsair or OCZ" because corsair makes outstanding powersupplies and so does OCZ....ESPECIALLY CORSAIR which consititantly earns the best or excellent ratings on most sellers. Corsair as a matter a fact would be the PSU i would recommend. I good 550 watt would do fine.