Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Cable
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 3, 2011 2:23:11 AM

Hi All,

My Dell laptop was working fine but a standard diagnostics test revealed that there was a potential problem with the HDD. As a precautionary measure (since the lappy is under warranty) the Dell tech came and added a new HDD + gave me 14 days to transfer my data from the old HDD.

I happened to have 2 sets of cables lying around.

The first is a SATA-to-USB cable - which when I connect it from the old HDD to the lappy, the cable gets lighted but Win7 doesn't show a new device is connected.

I figured that it needed that it needed a power source thus, I connected the second cable which is a SATA-to-Power-Adapter cable. The thing is, when I connect the 2nd cable, the HDD starts beeping consistently beep-beep-beep-beep-beep (maybe 1/2 sec inbetween beeps) and Win7 still doesn't detect the HDD.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible that the HDD is not getting enough power - or is it something else?

First cable looks like:

Second cable looks like (plus has the additional adapter-to-power-socket cable):

Whole set up looks like:

More about : solved connecting sata hdd usb win7 recognising

a b G Storage
June 3, 2011 2:42:13 AM

First, the tech should have either transferred to files for you, or he should have left you with a known good cable. Anyway. . .

Sounds like the drive is still not getting the proper power needed. Check the power adapter or try another.
m
l
June 3, 2011 4:26:23 AM

Thanks Phil.. turns out it was the cable from the adapter to the power outlet.. switched it with my CD player's cable and its working great.

Dell did advise me to do a backup before their tech came by the next day but I forgot to backup some stuff that was outside the User directory. In any case, I'm pretty happy with Dell's support, the techie who came by changed the HDD, motherboard and laptop battery. If I had to send this to some service centre, the lappy might not see the light of day for another month heh. Really thanking Jesus its done or else it would be a huge inconvenience!

Thanks a lot Phil!

m
l
Related resources
!