Sign in with
Your question

Want to OC, but not stable @ stock speeds :(

Last response: in Overclocking
October 14, 2011 10:19:02 PM

I've wanted to OC my computer for a while now, but finally am getting around to giving it a shot. So before I started I figured it'd be a good idea to make sure it is stable at stock speeds before I moved on (I'll add in comp info at end of post). So using prime95 on the "In-place large FFTs" torture test setting I let it run while monitoring my temps with HWMonitor. Idling it was sitting ~33C (ambient was ~30C.. hot day) and under full load was sitting ~47C. Prime95 keeps getting some rounding error (usually like 10 mins to an hour in) and stops one of the workers.. so I'm trying to figure out what could be causing that. The temperature seems fine, and I ended up swapping out my old 500W power supply for a brand new 700W supply in the off chance that that was the problem (the 500W PSU was like 5 years old.. didn't have the right 2x4 power connector for my motherboard.. so there were a few open pins on my motherboard). Anyway it didn't solve the problem. I then ran Memtest86+ overnight and it ran for 15 hours without an error.. so it seems like my memory is probably ok.. does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try next?

Antec 900 case
XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 water cooling kit (cpu only loop atm)
AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz
Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4P AM3 ATX
Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) XMS3 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
EVGA GeForce 9800+ GTX+
Coolmax 700W Modular Power Supply
Western Digital WD1001FALS 1TB 7200rpm Sata HDD
Running Windows 7 64bit

Thanks in advance,
gbkinum1

More about : stable stock speeds

October 14, 2011 11:14:04 PM

try running small FFT
m
l
October 14, 2011 11:46:54 PM

vigilante212 said:
try running small FFT

I started it about 20 mins ago (on small FFT) and is still going.. I need to head off to work in a few mins but I'll update how it went when I get back.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2011 9:16:22 AM

Still running when I got back (was 10 hours with no errors) with small FFT. Do I just ignore the fails in large FFT or does this narrow something down?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2011 10:14:50 AM

Nope. If your PC won't run stable under all conditions, it will crash frequently when OC'ed. You need to find the issueand correct it before OC'ing. I'd reseat the Vid card and make sure the CPU is properly seated and also the heatsink even though your temps look normal. Then try testing with OCCT severe mode as a quick check before running P95 for 24 hours. You may need to adjust the voltages slightly on the CPU or RAM to get stability depending on voltage droop under heavy/Max load.
m
l
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 15, 2011 10:22:09 AM

I think default stock speed should stable, and no shpuld ran at prime95, ran at benchmark is better, if your system in default does not stable need, fix and update bios or send back to vendor
m
l
October 16, 2011 12:37:43 AM

So just for good measure I ran yet another large FFT test (probably the 10th time?) and it has been running fine for the past 15 hours. The only thing that has changed from the previous times is the ambient temp is a little lower (closer to like 23C than like 30C). So I have to assume it is somehow temp related, but I just can't imagine the cpu is overheating without ever going higher than 47C (right now it's @ 43C with p95 running). My case has pretty decent airflow, two 120mm fans in the front, 200mm exhaust fan on top.. and all running at their max rpm. Looking through HWmonitor, it's saying my HDD hasn't gone above 33C.. which makes me think my case isn't trapping heat.. Anyway, I guess I'll probably look into getting either some temp probes or one of those infrared temp guns and see if I can find something that's running a bit on the hot side :( 
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 16, 2011 5:11:06 AM

gbkinum1 said:
Still running when I got back (was 10 hours with no errors) with small FFT. Do I just ignore the fails in large FFT or does this narrow something down?

It narrows something down.

Good news is that your CPU settings are probably OK.

Take a look at your memory settings. Yes, I realize that you ran memtest, but there is a difference between testing the RAM and testing the memory settings.
m
l
!