ajkjr

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Going to build first system. Figure it is safe since I still have my old PC to fall back on as I screw things up.

I do not have unlimited budget, but 5K-6K or so is okay. Not a big gamer. More Adobe CS4 stuff, image editing, photo stitching, AutoCAD.

Plan to build it in October when Windows 7 comes out as do not want to reload OS. Gives me plenty of time to do research.

I want to build something that I can play with (overclock) upgrade, swap out etc. as technology changes. Here is what I think I am going with so far.

i7 975 CPU
12GB DDR3 1866 memory (brand recommnedation?)
EVGA X58 SLI classified or Rampage II extreme MB (thoughts)
ATI Firepro V8700 GPU
(2) WD 150GB Velocirapotor in Raid 1 (For OS and APPS only)
1.5TB Barracuda

Things I am unsure of:

Chassis - Should I air or water cool. Some camps seem to think really good air cooling is best. Since I have never had a machine like this I am not sure how loud all the fans can be. Liquid is quieter, yes/no? But more of a hassle? Don't mind spending 500-600 on case if necessary.

Should I get a fan controller, temp monitor etc? NZXT etc.

No idea on DVD/CD etc. Not a big priority.

What am I missing?

Whos going to help me build it? :)

Thanks

Joe

ajkjr

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

One big OOPS, PSU, thats really greek to me. I know its important but really need help with that one.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
get a nice 120-160GB SSD instead of the VRaptor's, it will be a lot faster.

or swap the VRaptor's for Caviar blacks, Seagate .12's or Samsung F series as they are just as fast.

ajkjr

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I thought about a pair of SSD's but seemed to get conflicting feedback on their speed versus the smaller HDD like the Velociraptor. Thought about Intel X25's but 80GB is not enough space and the 160's are pricey. Who's SSD would you suggest. Do I really need Raid 1 with a SSD if it is only for reduncacy backup? Thanks

ok to give you answers for the kinda cash you spending the 975 is a waste i'd be seriously looking at a xeon for pure muscle nothing beats it but if you set on the i series wait for the i9 to drop it will be a hexacore series on water cooling its probly the best solid option on the market ssd the intels are fine but the patriots are bit faster but good value are the ocz ssd

4745454b

Titan
6K all at once isn't a good idea. Get something good now, and use the extra money 2years from now to update. You'll spend ~$4k total, and it will work a lot better years from now then if you had spent all 6k. Changes I would make;

Drop down to the i7 920. Yes the 975 is faster, but not wonderfully so. I'd pick up the 80GB Intel SSD. Small size overall, but just fine for windows OS and your scratch disks. Get a good sized 7200.12/WD for your programs, and back everything up on a large external 2TB drive. Get whatever case you like, I'd stick with air cooling, and get a quality 500-750W PSU. (Antec, Corsair, PCP&C, Seasonic.)

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'd save a lot of money for upgrades. Spending $1000 for a CPU is crazy to me when you can get similar performance for so much less.

+1 for the i7 920 and SSDs if you're spending that cash.

Another +1 for Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, etc for your PSU.