Here are the specs on my system:

Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R motherboard with BIOS version F3
Intel E6758 processor
9800 GTX+ OC 512 graphics card
Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 RAM (2*2gigs)
CoolMax CUG 950B power supply
Windows XP Student Edition SP3 for OS
Corsair 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

I have the full specs from CPUID's CPU-Z if this will help.

The problem I am having is that my computer has been randomly running slowly when graphics intensive programs were running, especially if I tried to alt-tab from a full screen application such as windows media classic or a video game. It also seemed to stutter whenever a new sound was played.

While watching the system resources use from Task Manager, it never seems to go over 50%, while still slowing the system down immensely whenever I try to open a new program or alt-tab from a program.

I have had several blue screen crashes, each telling me that a thread in the graphics driver had gone into infinite loop. I tried both getting the newest drivers and reducing hardware acceleration, neither seemed to produce any good effect. Because of this, I RMA'd my card, with the same lack of results.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks!

More about : audio video problems

a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2009 12:21:15 AM

Do this for me, download Prime95 and run it. See if both cores are even running. If the task manager doesn't go over 50%, I think you're not getting both threads running. Could be a mobo or CPU issue. If prime95 does show both cores running, then download memtest and make a boot cd for that. Run it and check the memory.
August 17, 2009 7:07:15 PM

I ran Prime 95's stress test for 12 hours, both cores came back as passing all iterations for the time I was watching (not sure if it leaves a failure message, as the list only goes back for a certain number of messages). While it was running, it was using 99% of the system resource, and both cores, while page file usage was around 1.6-1.7 gigs, never getting higher than 1.73 gigs at the height.
However, when I tried to run one of the tests (the one under advanced, time, with the number 7 as the exponent to time), it told me that there was an error and Windows had to close the program.
I also ran a mem tester, and it also came back with no problems.
Related resources
August 17, 2009 7:36:34 PM

Just a thought, unless you have the 64bit version of xp you are only utilizing 3gbs of RAM. Since its free right now what I would do is upgrade to the win7 RC. Chances are it will fix your issue going with a fresh install anyways:) 
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2009 5:01:25 AM

The ram and XP 32bit isn't an issue. XPs footprint is 500-800megs leaving over 2 gigs for programs. That's more than any game uses including the poorly optimized GTA IV.

This is stretching, but found this with similar problems as you are experiencing.
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/636877-sol...

Problem here is the ram you have (found in your other post) is JDEC standard 1.8v. That should be what the bios defaults to. So check the bios for ram voltage. How long did you run memtest?
August 18, 2009 5:48:22 AM

True about the ram usage of xp, and his symptoms are strange but, correct me if I'm wrong, couldn't it just be a virus/spyware eating resources? BSOD's being a byproduct? In that case rather than track down all the virus/spyware processes, bio settings ect...wouldn't a fresh install of a new os that will utilize his system to its full potential all while being free for the next 8-9 months be the most logical way to go and if it doesn't work dig deeper? For me it would be but that's just my opinion:-D
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2009 7:38:44 AM

It certainly can be used as a diagnostic tool. But being it was prime stable for 12 and then crashes on the timed iterations says hardware before OS or viruses. But if you have the HDD space, set up a dual boot and give it a try. I did the same thing for DX10 for my gaming. Also turned out to virtually solve my fallout 3 crashing issues. (Although it just crashed for the first time in Win7 just now.)
August 20, 2009 7:03:04 PM

My hard drive is no longer booting, when I go to the boot options, it only shows the two secondary hard drives. I am attempting to install Windows to the master of the two drives that still appear in the boot options, but it keeps telling me I need to install a boot disk.
No longer owning a floppy drive, is there anything else I can do?
!