Possible build and order this week

jizzles

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I've gone through some financial changes and this week I will have the money to be able to make a complete purchase. My budget has increased to $1000-1200. While browsing this forum I came across Tecmo34's thread Recommended Builds by Usage and interested in the cheaper gamer build:

Gamer: $1,088.91

* CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail
* MOBO: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
* RAM: OCZ Platinum AMD Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LVAM4GK - Retail
* HSF: Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
* HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
* PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail
* GPU: XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
* DVD: SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
* Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
* Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

This build will allow you to play games at mid. to max. settings at a monitor resolution of 1900x1200

Now I noticed the suggested ram is a "deactivated item" on newegg now. Any suggestions to ram?

And I've been reading a little about the i5 and DX11 GPUs coming out soon. Is it better to wait and see what i5 will bring along with price or just go ahead and make my purchase this week?

Also, I have an Antec 300 case along with an old e-GeForce 8800GT superclocked edition and a OCZ 500w modxstream-pro PSU. I'm thinking the PSU is insufficient seeing that the recommended PSU is 750w. I'm wondering if I would be able to hold out on buying a GPU until dx11 ones lower in price and use my current one and if I would be able to use my PSU for now as well...or if I should just purchase the above recommended parts.

tecmo34

Administrator
Thanks for pointing out the RAM. It just won't stay in stock, so I will switch it out.

The PSU is listed as 750w to allow for future Crossfire setup, but isn't required. For a highend GPU, I would recommend at least 650w but a 550w can be used depending on your other components. You can use the Antec 300 with my components... Most people spending that money normally purchase a little higher end/bigger case for their builds.

You can use you 8800GT until DX11 cards come out. I would still recommend upgrading to at least a 750w PSU to allow for more future growth on your PC.

jizzles

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I already have the antec 300 because originally I was going to go for their 720 CPU. For now I was thinking of using my current gpu and later upgrading both the psu and gpu.

Thanks for the info and reply

jizzles

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
You think the price drop will be significant enough to wait? Is the i5 really going to change things up?

Also what's the difference between your ram suggestion and tecmo's?

jizzles

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
ok so i purchased everything and put it all together...works great and fast =] buuuuuuut....i posted this in the other section but got no replies so i'm trying my luck here...

K, so I put together a new system...using the Crosshair III mobo and the supremefx card that came with it. I was trying to use the front panel headset and mic (I have the razer carcharias and antec 300) but it wouldn't work. I tried configuring the bios for both hda and ac97 (switching the front panel connections to either hda/ac97) but had no luck with either settings. So my front panel connections don't work.

Now I tried plugging my headset through the back and the sound works but the mic doesn't. Windows is showing that the rear mic jack is unavailable and the front panel one is available...but i unplugged the front panel completely...so now I'm lost on what to do...help please?

oh ya i've checked to make sure mic is enabled...i can't even change anything with the rear mic input because its showing as unavailable...

using:
asus crosshair III w/supremefx x-fi card that came with it
windows vista 32bit

help please??? =]