Want to max OC 2500K

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Aloha
I need and want to MAX OC my 2500k.
I am working with ram disks and doing benchmarking so I need max cpu power for these.
also if i get a few years out of my cpu and then it dies because i OC it that is fine.
I just want to make sure it does not die this year or next.
nuff said

So I am starting with 2500k and Hyper 212 plus 120 mm with two fans.

Do I need a special power supply in order to achieve the max OC?
my current power supply is right on the edge of supplying enough 12v power depending on the vcore and other stuff i have on the pc.

So I might need to consider another one.

I am going to stick with my motherboard for now which is biostar taz68a+
what about ram do i NEED to have high speed ram to OC?
right now i am just using 1333 and if possible i would rather focus on OC cpu NOT ram.

lastly what should i do if there is some instability in my computer when I OC?
is there anything i can do to fix that?

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
CPU failure is hard to predict. If losing it this year or next would be an issue, stay at stock.

Hyper 212 is a good value cooler. For high overclocks, look to water or something like the Zalman 12X

Maximus IV Extreme-Z prob has best power regulation for OC.

RAM doesn't manner.

I think the T_Junction is around 80

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
could someone please tell me how to find my previous posts
I looked all over the place for this thread and found most of my other threads but not this one. its really annoying not to have a simple place to go that shows you your post for the entire fourm in order of your most recent posts.
do i need to bookmark every post i make?

Fixing instability is part of the basics, sounds to me like you didn't read any guides (or possibly bad guides), read the ones here. Raise your vcore, use offset. Don't go above 1.4v. Don't expect to go very high with that mobo, it's a somewhat low end board. Stay below 80C in prime, temp shutoff isn't changeable afaik, you should be fine on whatever the default is. You don't need WC, air is fine.

What is your psu and rest of your specs?

It would be helpful to know exactly what you already changed in your bios. In your other thread you said you changed stuff.

To see all of your posts click your name on the left of your post and click "Access to the whole list of his/her messages."

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Aloha
Did read quite a bit in a only a few hours then it was time to give it a try.
am I doing a bad job?
stable at 100 percent load for almost 6 hours with this clock and temps.

psu is rosewill 450 watt.
it seems to be right on the edge of what i need according to extreem vision calcluator.

do i need a power supply with power correction factor or any other features for best OC?

true its low end board
so what should I shoot for as my max?

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Thanks for the info
actually i have two separate things that will shut me down at 80.
the bios has a setting
there is software in windows that also has this setting.
I trust the bios more then the software but just in case i set it up in the software since i was using it anyway to watch the temps.

I am actually wondering if I am getting accurate tempature readings.

62 C under full load (100 percent) seems lower then other numbers i see online.

With no video card, you're not even hitting 200w, if the computer doesn't get enough power, it will shut off or freeze. Use hwmonitor, realtemp and coretemp, using multiple programs assures that you are getting correct temps. Number of rails doesn't matter, it's the amps on the rails that does.

Tell me what settings you changed.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
settings
now I am increasing from 46 to 47 and from 100 to 102.

current 120
power 200
pll O enabled
spread spectrum auto
dram 1333
timing by spd
vcore fixed 1.39
phase control full on
pwm work frequency 200
pwm i out enabled
thermal report override enabled
vcore loadline enabled
dram voltage 1.55
vcc sa auto
vcc 1.150
pul pll 1.8
pch auto

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
so vcore fixed is not good?

WARNING
CHANGING FROM FIXED TO OFFSET ON THIS MOTHERBOARD WITHOUT SETTING THE FIXED BACK DOWN TO NORMAL AND RESTARTING WILL RESULT IN DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF VCORE INCREASE YOU WERE TRYING TO ATTEMPT.
this happens without and warning from the bios or change in the color of the vcore numbers like would normally happen when you try to run to much voltage through a chip.

You will want to OC the bclk separate from the multiplier so you know which is causing instability. So put it back to stock 100 and just raise the multiplier til it's unstable.

Is c1e enabled or disabled? Offset mode will save power by letting your voltage change depending on the load state. If c1e is off then I'm going to assume power doesn't matter and fixed voltage is fine.

Note that for biostar “CPU VCore LoadLine” means “allow droop voltage” which you want to disable.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
well that was interesting
I choose 4600 because it seemed like a nice number
seems that might be my max
i can not get it stable at 4700

i disable every power saving feature i can
i have problems very often trying to bring back sleeping machines to life and i hate it with a passion.

i tried your suggestions.

my friend who is electrical engineer and builds computer says my mobo is not going to allow much more then that.

but if you have any ideas let me know.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
expected range because of my motherboard
cause i am concerned that its cutting my OC short
especailly with that 120 amps max power limit.
the normal is 100 so 120 is not much more.
I have seen people recomend settings from 150 to 200 for that one
or just in general.
because i have seen a lot of people posting they were able to get 5200
I dropped down to 4500 because of the one error i got running prime and also one crash.

I pretty much run prime all the time on 3 cores and have only had that one error at 4600 or below. I have no slowness in using the computer to do other stuff at the same time i run prime.

actually all 4 cores was ok until i tried to run virtual machines.
they would take 15 minutes to start with all 4 cores already maxed out.

is there a way to tell if a crash is caused by OC rather then some other cause.

Recognize that the Hyper 212 gets recommended a lot cause it can be added to a buildas replacement for the stock cooler at very little increase to system price. It is a very good cooler ....it's just shouldn't be considered as more than a good budget cooler. Here's some of my fav's compared:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=797&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=4

If quiet is a concern, I'm real partial to the Silver Arrow

For max OC's three additional things come into play:

1. A tier 1 power supply with adequate wattage. Think Corsair AX/HX series, Antec SG/CP series, Seasonic X series.

2. Robust voltage controls as are found on Asus RoG series and other enthusiast boards from MSI, EVGA and Gigabyte.

To compare just how voltage control can effect MoBo performance, look at the temp and power graphs here comparing some boards competing in one market segment

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_revolution_intel_p67_express_motherboard/index12.html

To see how your PSU is doing, run the OCCT CPU and GPU tests. Look at the graphs at the end of the tests .... for the bst OC's, I look to see voltage variations of no more than 1% (ATX standard requires no more 5%) .

3. Good set of RAM. Getting a bigger CPU OC if ya gotta drop RAM timings or speed is a disappointment. Based upon my experience, I have had good luck w/ Mushkin Redline, Corsair Vengeance and Kingston Hyper X.....less so w/ Gskill, especially with 4 slots filled.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=264847

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
where do you find the most current version of occt
the one I have does not show all the readings correctly.

I did not do anything with the ram.
why would I drop my ram settings?
and how would i do that?

it might be disappointing but i would much rather have ram lower speed then the cpu.
ram speed makes little difference in performance in my experience

you might be on to something

my ramdisks were having read write errors at 4600 and higher.
now at 4500 they are working fine