Your question
Solved

Combining two hard drives

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 3, 2011 1:04:09 PM

I want to combine two drives namely local disk d and f. I have 500GB HDD which has been split into five drives i.e local disk c,d,e,f and g. Presently, I have installed FSX in f drive and it has already taken more than 60 GB of space after installing many addons especially ORBX, they are realeasing many addons and I am sure that one day my whole drive will get filled. Is there any way to combine local disk D (empty) and local disk F (FSX) so that it will resize to 200GB (2 X 100GB), if so then please reply to my answer, in case I can backup whole FSX in E drive, so losing data isn't a problem. Thanks!

More about : combining hard drives

Best solution

a c 324 G Storage
June 3, 2011 4:11:02 PM

Hmm, I think you already answered my first question. If both F and D had installed apps, the apps on the disappeared drive letter wouldn't run any more. But D is empty, so the combined drive can be F.

First of all, after you eliminate the D partition all the letters will drop one unless you go into Disk Manager and assign drive letters. You will want to do this at the end so that all of your configuration and shortcuts are pointing to the right places.

Now the meat. There are several ways to do this. If I were doing it, I would
  • Back up everything!
  • Run a bootable partition tool. I would prefer not to do this while Win7 is running. However, you can do these steps with the Disk Manager if you wish; I haven't tested this.
  • Use a partition tool such as EASEUS Partition Master to delete the D partition.
  • Slide the E partition (which is probably labeled D now) to the left, so that it starts where the D partition used to start.
  • Expand the F partition (which is probably labeled E now) to the left, taking up the space the your E partition moved off when it slid into the D partition's space.
  • Verify the drive
  • If you are not in Win7, boot to Win7 safe mode.
  • Use Disk Mangler to ensure that the remaining partitions have drive letters C, D, F, and G

A question: Which of these are primary partitions and which are logical partitions in an extended partition (or is this the other way around?) This will not work if D, E, and F are not all logical or all primary.

Edit: You may want to consider reducing the number of partitions. Why are you installing software anywhere but on your C: partition, which you could make larger by deleting D and expanding C?
    June 4, 2011 3:28:18 AM

WyomingKnott said:
    Hmm, I think you already answered my first question. If both F and D had installed apps, the apps on the disappeared drive letter wouldn't run any more. But D is empty, so the combined drive can be F.

First of all, after you eliminate the D partition all the letters will drop one unless you go into Disk Manager and assign drive letters. You will want to do this at the end so that all of your configuration and shortcuts are pointing to the right places.

Now the meat. There are several ways to do this. If I were doing it, I would
  • Back up everything!
  • Run a bootable partition tool. I would prefer not to do this while Win7 is running. However, you can do these steps with the Disk Manager if you wish; I haven't tested this.
  • Use a partition tool such as EASEUS Partition Master to delete the D partition.
  • Slide the E partition (which is probably labeled D now) to the left, so that it starts where the D partition used to start.
  • Expand the F partition (which is probably labeled E now) to the left, taking up the space the your E partition moved off when it slid into the D partition's space.
  • Verify the drive
  • If you are not in Win7, boot to Win7 safe mode.
  • Use Disk Mangler to ensure that the remaining partitions have drive letters C, D, F, and G

A question: Which of these are primary partitions and which are logical partitions in an extended partition (or is this the other way around?) This will not work if D, E, and F are not all logical or all primary.

Edit: You may want to consider reducing the number of partitions. Why are you installing software anywhere but on your C: partition, which you could make larger by deleting D and expanding C?

• I don't know much about partitions because I got it done by a computer engineer, anyway, thanks for reply I will try out your points, selecting best answer too.......

m
    l
    June 4, 2011 3:28:53 AM

Best answer selected by ATi RaDEoN.
    m
    l
    !