Do ATI cards work better with AMD processors?

My 4850 died and although I just sent it in yesterday i've been thinking about getting a new card. A lot of the games I have say nvidia beforehand and i was thinking about trying out a GTX 280. because I have an AMD processor, is it better to get a 4870? or should i just wait a month till I get it back and keep the 4850?
I have an AMD Phenom x4 9850 processor.
13 answers Last reply
More about cards work processors
  1. ^ The statement above is false. Ati cards dont work better on amd cpu's. An amd and intel equivalent processor would give you the same result. I bet you a amd phenom 2 x4 and a 4870 would get beat buy a i7 with a 4870. (only because there in a different performance level)

So if both companies cpu's are in the same class you would gain the same results. No special treatment with amd/ati.
  2. ok. thanks for answering!
  3. Quote:
    Everyone I talk to says yes they are optimized for each other, work together better.

Everybody you talk to is wrong.
  4. AMD would like you to think so.... but not so much.
  5. well since amd owns ati hey could very well optimise the gpu+cpu interface
  6. older drivers were "shady" when it came to crossfire scaling on the intel processors, but w/ 9.8 its good as gone
  7. obsidian86 said:
    well since amd owns ati hey could very well optimise the gpu+cpu interface

I dont think they can just optimize it like that. They need to increase there work done per cycle on the cpu. They are falling behind intel.
  8. google ati fusion gpcpu hybrid its using amd an ati tech
  9. http://www.modreactor.com/english/Reviews/Test-ATI-HD-4890-1GB-CrossFire-AMD-Phenom-II-955-BE-vs-Intel-Core-i7-920/Page-3-Performance-Stormrise.html

look at all those results in depth and look at the cat drivers and tell me thats bollocks psycho.

i looked into it cuz i switched from 955 to 920 and saw a few reviews with similar resulst, and somewhere on here people were talking about it too
  10. obsidian86 said:
    google ati fusion gpcpu hybrid its using amd an ati tech

I believe all there doing is building a gpu and cpu built on one chip. There only able to fuse low end gpu onto the cpu. Not sure how much the performance would change then having a discrete standalone card.
  11. did you use both a amd and intel equivalent on same-ish-spex with same results on multiple drivers? even the older ones?
  12. yeah, but i read a few sites in agreement with what i said, otherwise i would have not said it, obviously you have a much better understanding than i and you are l33t

i got pooned no doubt
  13. thanks +1
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards AMD Processors ATI Graphics