Sign in with
Your question

Worth it?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 15, 2011 2:24:36 PM

Core speed 2660mhz

Rated FSB = 1065mhz

FSB/DRAM = 5:6

DRAM Freq = 319mhz (considering I'm running ddr that's [319 x2 = 638mhz)

My RAM is supposed to run at 800mhz but it wont it just keeps crashing.

Now is there any point overclocking the CPU considering the RAM is still running much slower than the quad pumped Rated FSB which is running at 1065mhz?

Would overclocking the cpu still give any benefit?

More about : worth

October 15, 2011 5:28:13 PM

It would be nice to know what CPU and mobo that you're running. I'm assuming at this point that the CPU has an unlocked multiplier. But yes, I've found that overclocking the CPU is more important than the ram speed.
October 16, 2011 12:17:07 AM

Cheers for your reply Sailer :) 

Yes the multiplier is unlocked.

Here's some stats. I am running the following:

Mobo: gigabyte ep45ds3l
cpu: core2 duo e7300 2.66Ghz
Related resources
October 16, 2011 1:21:28 AM

Ok. Yes, overclocking the CPU will help, not only for the CPU, but for the ram speed itself as tey are linked. You will need to raise the voltage of the ram and the CPU. Can't say how much, as each component is an individual and what works for on CPU may not for another. A general guess would be someplace between 1.35v and 1.4v for the CPU (VCore). The ram voltage I used for DDR2-800 ram was 2.2v. Tom's has a general guide for overclocking:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overcl...

And for the ram:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254402-29-memory-over...

I'm assuming right now that you are new to overclocking. Not to worry, everybody was at one time.

Raise the CPU (VCore) and ram voltage one step and raise the overclock one step. If you're having trouble because the computer is crashing, its most likely not got enough voltage to the VCore and/or ram. I don't know the voltages on your setup, so you'll need to refer to the manual. You can also try Gigabyte, Intel, and the company that made you ram for specifics. As you overclock, use Coretemp to monitor the CPU temperature. If you don't have an aftermarket heatsink, get one. I used a TRUE on my QX9650 for years and it always did a good job, but there are a few other tower type heatsinks that are good as well.

After you raise the clock a bit, run Prime95 to both verify that nothing is crashing and watch the temps at the same time. Most likely you won't get the ram up to exactly 800mhz, but you can get it close. Hope all this is a help for you.
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2011 1:47:23 AM

seogoat said:
My RAM is supposed to run at 800mhz but it wont it just keeps crashing.

Your ram timings may need to be manually input and/or relaxed. Usually ram will run fine at its rated speed and timings. You shouldn't push your ram voltage too much. Find out what your ram's rated voltage is. If your ram is rated at 800mhz then it shouldn't need more than its rated voltage.
October 16, 2011 3:05:34 AM

I appreciate your responses Sailer and larkspur. All that info you provided is extremely helpful indeed.

Yah, I am new to overclocking, just fancied learning this weekend :) 

Voltage to RAM is currently 2.1v which is stock default.

Ram runs fine at 638 mhz just doesnt load windows if raised to 800mhz, so I might try either relaxing timings or tightening them...

I was kinda concerned that the 'Rated FSB' is running at 1065mhz - I didn't want to blow it up or stress it too much. The actual fsb is 266 but I read that it's quad pumped, which is, (apparently), where the figure 1065 comes from...
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 16, 2011 4:18:02 AM

Yes, indeed. FSB can be measured two ways. You can have frequency, in your case 266 MHz. Or you can have FSB clock where one bus cycle generates four clock cycles or 1066 MHz.

Memory is the same way. For DDR2 RAM, each bus cycle generates to memory clock cycles.

Sailor gave good advice.

Also check this.
Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guide. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00 to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz. That will seem low if you have DDR2-800 RAM. Don't worry about it.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio. Do not worry about trying to overclock the RAM. Performance gains will be minimal, if any. CPU speed and stability are more important than RAM speed.

Do not exceed 1.45 volts on the CPU cores and keep your load temps under 70 C.

The CoolerMaster Hiper 212+ ($30) is a very good cooler for the money. It should be all you need for a dual core CPU.

You should be able to reach 3.3 GHz or so at a minimum.

I like the G'byte Core2 boards. I have several:
GA-EP45-UD3P | Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (425 MHz X 8.5) C3 stepping :( 
GA-EP45-UD3L | Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9)
GA-EP35-DS3P | E7500 OC'd to 4.1 GHz (373 MHz X 11)

October 16, 2011 10:01:24 PM

Thanks very helpful XD

Why the miserable face near 'c3 stepping'?
October 18, 2011 3:24:27 PM

i got it to 2.8ghz, think it's stable, didn't want to **** up the pc though.

My first ever overclock :) 
October 18, 2011 3:28:53 PM

seogoat said:
i got it to 2.8ghz, think it's stable, didn't want to **** up the pc though.

My first ever overclock :) 

Welcome to the club!

You won't mess anything up. The worst that will happen is that you have to reset the CMOS to default and start over, so there's little to fear.
!