Sign in with
Your question
Solved

POST OK; Temperature Error?

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2009 2:14:54 AM

Hi All -

I'm assembling my first homebuilt and many thanks to the folks who responded to my first request for input. Now that I'm at the power-on step I have a specific problem.

I've assembled all of the components (see below) in the case. (I've read the thread on breadboarding, and now this seems like it would have been a better idea...)

I power on the machine and it comes up ok. I get video of the Asus start-up program screen and basic functionality - keyboard and mouse work, I can select and navigate, etc.

However, the machine turns itself off after a *very* short time - probably less than one minute. I think that I saw a flash across the top of the screen just once that indicated it might be a temperature shutdown condition. This occurs regardless of whether I turn the machine on and take no action or attempt to enter the BIOS.

I'm using the Intel heat sink that came with the CPU. I do not plan any overclocking in the near future, so I am thinking that the stock heat sink should be ok. The heat sink fan runs when the power is on. The Intel installation directions indicated that the heat sink has thermal material already on it, and no more is needed.

Since the machine comes on and runs, and I get video, I'm thinking the problem may be that the "stock" heat sink just didn't have enough thermal material. Since I'm going to have to remove the heat sink and CPU to clean it and apply new thermal grease (I have a tube of arctic silver), is there anything else I should try, considering the symptoms I'm seeing above?

CPU: Intel Core i7-920
MOBO: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
RAM: OCZ DDR3 3x2GB
GRAPHICS: EVGA GTX 275
PSU: Corsair HX1000W
HD: WD Black Caviar 1TB
OPTICAL: Samsung OEM Super Writemaster

Thanks!

More about : post temperature error

Best solution

August 17, 2009 2:52:54 AM

Hop into bios when you boot it and check the temperatures there, if it is a heat sink issue it should show there. Couple of questions, did you pull the plastic off the bottom of the heat sink? Is the i7 cooler a push pin cooler? If it is are all of the pins down and locked in?
August 17, 2009 5:27:42 AM

hunter315 said:
Hop into bios when you boot it and check the temperatures there, if it is a heat sink issue it should show there. Couple of questions, did you pull the plastic off the bottom of the heat sink? Is the i7 cooler a push pin cooler? If it is are all of the pins down and locked in?

Thanks for asking the obvious questions!

I went back to look at my heat sink based on your prompting. Confirmed that all of the pins were down and locked. I grasped the heat sink housing firmly and found that with slight pressure there was just a bit of latteral movement. Looked again. Ah-Ha! The pins were down and locked, but 2 of them had not engaged the holes in the MOBO. Unlocked, re-engaged, powerd up, TA-DA!

I can get into the BIOS now, and the machine was stable while I played around with the BIOS settings. BIOS reports CPU temp steady at 95F.

I guess my next steps are to load the OS and then run one of the utilities to test for stability. I know I've seen these listed on one of the forums here in a "sticky" ... memtest86 maybe?

Again, many thanks!

-GorfTheFrog
m
l
August 17, 2009 5:37:11 AM

You are very welcome. Memtest checks your memory for errors, if the system runs fine then you dont need to run that. Run Prime 95 to stress test your CPU and furmark to stress test your GPU, use HWmonitor to monitor their temps during this test, the i7 shouldnt get above 62C and the GPU shouldnt go above 95C. 35C is pretty good for an idle temp, but it would be really really nice if intel would move on from push pin coolers so we can avoid these issues.
m
l
!