Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Temporary Water Ice Cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
October 15, 2011 5:24:01 PM

Hello all,

I have a crazy question to ask y'all:

Would it harm my brand new CPU (an Intel Gulftown i7-980) to cool it using just water and water ice just long enough to verify a good mobo POST during an external check while prepping a new build.

I propose to cool the CPU thusly: When I'm ready to apply power to the mobo for the first time (just to check to see if it POST's), I'd like to apply two drops of water to the exposed surface of the mounted CPU. I would then carefully lay a 4" x 4" square of Saran wrap over the water, ensuring that there are no trapped bubbles. I would then apply about six drops of water to the top of the Saran wrap, right over the CPU. I would then add a few small water ice chips to the six drops of liquid water.

I would then apply power to the mobo just long enough to verify a good POST. I would then disconnect all power to the mobo, remove the Saran wrap, dry off the CPU, and, presuming a good POST, install the Intel CPU cooler IAW the pertinent installation instructions.

If you care to know the reasons behind this proposed thrash, please read on....

I bought the mobo (an Asus P6X58D Premium) from an online vendor (not Newegg or Tiger Direct). It was advertised as new. However, when I got the shipment, the item showed lots of evidence of being on "open box" item. Thus, I'm a bit suspicious. I don't want to go through the hassle of mounting the CPU cooling system, just to discover that the mobo needs to be returned.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
October 15, 2011 9:21:04 PM

justhold the heatsink on the mobo by hand, your idea is just plain stupid, sorry
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
October 15, 2011 9:59:35 PM

^yeah...or even just install the stock cooler for a few minutes...it's designed to be quick to install and remove...and it is.
Score
Related resources
October 16, 2011 12:34:47 AM

chilypepper said:
justhold the heatsink on the mobo by hand, your idea is just plain stupid, sorry

chily,

Tell me how ya really feel.....(vbg)!
Score
October 16, 2011 12:35:47 AM

rubix_1011 said:
^yeah...or even just install the stock cooler for a few minutes...it's designed to be quick to install and remove...and it is.

rub,

Do you mean there will be no messy paste to clean up? If that's the case, I see no downsides to your suggestion!
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
October 16, 2011 1:00:27 AM

You would have to clean up the thermal paste, but that is easily done with a bit of rubbing alcohol and some paper towels.
a c 220 à CPUs
a c 158 K Overclocking
October 16, 2011 2:48:33 AM

If this isn't a prank, I'd drop that idea right quick.

You bought a $600 CPU and a 3 year old MoBo from a questionable source ?

I'd return both and get a SB CPU w/ GEN3 MoBo and put $300+ back in my pocket.
Score
October 16, 2011 3:13:36 AM

I despise receiving open-box products when I pay full retail price. For something as consequential as a mobo I would place a call and RMA immediately. That very thing happened to me with Tiger Direct... I was not pleased but they sent me a new board and made good. Hopefully the vendor you went with will do the same.

And yes, don't go forward with your original idea please.
Score
October 18, 2011 2:11:43 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
If this isn't a prank, I'd drop that idea right quick.

You bought a $600 CPU and a 3 year old MoBo from a questionable source ?

I'd return both and get a SB CPU w/ GEN3 MoBo and put $300+ back in my pocket.

Forgot to mention I'm a Squeeze (32 kernel) guy. Need mature hardware......nocandoo bleeding edge mobo/SB.

$$ will be amortized over ten years of usability, thus mitigating the concerns in that department.

No worries.....
Score
October 18, 2011 2:12:35 AM

manzooka said:
I despise receiving open-box products when I pay full retail price. For something as consequential as a mobo I would place a call and RMA immediately. That very thing happened to me with Tiger Direct... I was not pleased but they sent me a new board and made good. Hopefully the vendor you went with will do the same.

And yes, don't go forward with your original idea please.

I'm workin' an RMA as we speak......thanks!
Score
October 18, 2011 11:13:16 PM

Digger1 said:
Forgot to mention I'm a Squeeze (32 kernel) guy. Need mature hardware......nocandoo bleeding edge mobo/SB.

$$ will be amortized over ten years of usability, thus mitigating the concerns in that department.

No worries.....

I have a nice 486 I'll sell you.
Score
October 24, 2011 1:42:01 AM

Best answer selected by Digger1.
Score
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 2:07:44 AM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Score
!