Tags:
  • Configuration
  • DVD Burner
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
September 30, 2011 11:33:53 PM

Hi guys,
I have a problem and I hope you guys can help me. By mistake, I purchased an Sony IDE DVD burner/writer with no cables from a discount store in Toronto. I can't return the item. I got an IDE to SATA adapter,connected everything and fired up and I get the power to the drive as I can open the DVD drawer, but the machine first gets stuck at the HP splash screen on my HP Compaq dx2300 mini tower, offering me standard options to enter the BIOS setings. If I don't do anything, machine continues to boot into Windows 7 with no further problems because secondary booting device is hard drive right after CD which is primary (as set up in BIOS by HP factory), but you can't use that brand new Sony IDE DVD burner.

How to make the machine recognize it? I set the jumper on the IDE DVD burner to MASTER, but some people on internet say you should remove the jumper completely and let the machine sort it out. Also, in control panel under 'Device Manager' it says I have IDE ATA/ATAPI channels 0 and 1 working properly. To me, it seems also like I have an IDE 40-pin connector on the motherboard.

In BIOS however, all I see is 4 SATA ports although if I go into any of them, there is an option to auto-detect IDE hard drives. The only thing is that I don't need IDE hard drive detection, but IDE DVD-RW drive detection. Are there any differences between setting up IDE optical drives versus setting up IDE hard drives. Do I even have to be concerned about BIOS?

Thanks a lot guys and please ask me if you need anything else.

More about : ide dvd burner connection sata motherboard

a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
October 1, 2011 6:07:05 AM

Hi coilaman,

What is the burner model name?

m
l
October 1, 2011 4:28:30 PM

nikorr said:
Hi coilaman,

What is the burner model name?

It's a Sony DRU-820A. Thanks for responding, by the way.
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
a c 376 $ Windows 7
October 3, 2011 4:12:30 PM

If you have an IDE connection on the motherboard, hook up the drive to that, set it as the Master, should be set. The ATA to SATA connectors don't always work.
m
l
October 3, 2011 5:53:34 PM

If you don't have an IDE connection on the motherboard set the burner's jumpers to Cable-Select

...that's what worked for my old IDE burner with a IDE-to-SATA adapter.
m
l
October 4, 2011 5:57:30 AM

halcyon said:
If you don't have an IDE connection on the motherboard set the burner's jumpers to Cable-Select

...that's what worked for my old IDE burner with a IDE-to-SATA adapter.

Actually, what I thought was an IDE port on my motherboard is something else. The jumper set to 'Cable-Select' or 'Master' doesn't work via IDE to SATA converter so no go for this IDE DVD Burner. I will purchase a SATA DVD burner and I will try to sell the IDE Sony to somebody on Craigslist.

Thanks a lot for your help.
m
l
!