Sign in with
Your question

IDE Hard Drive and a SATA DVD drive

Last response: in Storage
June 3, 2011 6:12:58 PM

Is it possible to connect the hard drive to IDE and connect the DVD drive to SATA? When I try to do that, the DVD drive is not recognized in BIOS at all.
a c 302 G Storage
June 3, 2011 6:16:45 PM

Whether or not you have an IDE drive connected to your IDE controller should not make a difference in recognizing the DVD drive.

For some combinations of motherboard / DVD drive, you have to go into the BIOS and set the particular SATA port's mode to IDE. This just means a compatible command set, not actually an IDE device.

For some nasty awful rotten motherboards, you have to go into BIOS and actually activate the individual SATA port that you connected the DVD drive to.

The more information we have, the better.
m
l
June 3, 2011 6:26:45 PM

The motherboard is a Biostar P4VMA-M. How exactly do I set the SATA port's mode to IDE? When I go into BIOS it only shows my hard drive as primary master. There's nothing else there.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 3, 2011 7:07:38 PM

Learn more about the Biostar P4VMA-M
Model

Brand
BIOSTAR

Model
P4VMA-M

Supported CPU

CPU Socket Type

CPU Type
Pentium 4 / Celeron

FSB
800/533MHz

Supported CPU Technologies
Hyper-Threading Technology

Chipsets

North Bridge
VIA PM800

South Bridge
VIA VT8237

Memory

Number of Memory Slots
2×184pin

Memory Standard
DDR 400

Maximum Memory Supported
2GB

Expansion Slots

AGP Slots
1 x AGP 4X / 8X

PCI Express x16
None

PCI Slots

Storage Devices

PATA
2 x ATA100 4 Dev. Max

SATA 1.5 Gb/s

SATA RAID
0/1

Onboard Video

Onboard Video Chipset
S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

Onboard Audio

Audio Chipset
AC97 Codec

Audio Channels
6 Channels

Onboard LAN

LAN Chipset
VIA VT6103

Max LAN Speed
10/100Mbps

Rear Panel Ports

PS/2

COM

LPT

Video Ports
D-Sub

USB 1.1/2.0
4 x USB 2.0

Audio Ports
3 Ports

Onboard USB

Onboard USB
4 x USB 2.0

Physical Spec

Form Factor
Micro ATX

Dimensions
9.1" x 7.9"

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts
3 years limited

Labor
2 years limited

m
l
a b G Storage
June 3, 2011 7:16:08 PM

Your motherboard supports sata 1.5 gig. What is your DVD drive? This is an older board and may not support the newer 3.0 or 6.0 gig DVD drive. What you can try is make sure your cables are pluged in right and set the bios to boot first from the DVD or you can get an IDE DVD drive and set it to slave.

I copied and pasted the spec for your motherboard above
m
l
June 3, 2011 7:34:26 PM

The DVD drive is an ASUS DRW-24B1ST. How do I check the gigs on that DVD drive? The cables are plugged in right. I already tried booting first from the DVD drive. Didn't work, it goes straight to booting from hard drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 3, 2011 8:23:06 PM

If the drive is not showing in the bios then you won't be able to set it up to boot first. I went to Newegg.com and Asus.com and looked up this drive but all it says is it is a sata drive so i don't know what it is either. This is a cd/dvd burner is all I could find. This drive may be dead. I still think you would be better off with an IDE drive with this old of a motherboard. This would be up to you.
m
l
June 3, 2011 8:26:54 PM

I know the drive is not dead, because I can open DVDs with it when I'm in Windows, but I can't see it in BIOS. Thanks for help. I think I'll just get an IDE drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 3, 2011 8:35:42 PM

Check your bios and see if your sata ports are enabled if not then enable them and set the DVD to boot first.. I did not know you can see it in windows.
m
l
June 3, 2011 9:22:55 PM

Sorry, I'm not good at BIOS. How do I check if my SATA ports are enabled? Is it under Integrated Peripherals?
m
l
June 3, 2011 9:35:58 PM

Okay, I went to Integrated Peripherals and I enabled OnChip SATA. The problem persists.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 3, 2011 10:33:18 PM

Sorry I couldn't help. I have 2 dvd drives 1 is an IDE and the other is Sata and 2 IDE hard drives and 1 sata hard drive and never ran into a problem like this. I think the IDE DVD will be your best bet with the older motherboard....Have you tried this drive in another computer to see if it shows up in the bios?
m
l
June 3, 2011 11:28:13 PM

No, I haven't. Maybe I'll try that, but I think I'll just end up getting an IDE drive. Thanks.
m
l
!