Dedicated PhysX card

bmxjumperc

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
why does it seem like my dedicated PhysX card isn't really doing anything no it dosn't just seem like it's not doing anything there is no read coming out in nVidia system monitor either with dedicated PhysX being rendered on my 9800 GT and multi-gpu mode on my GTX 295? I should have a blazing fast system with this PhysX card, I don't expect every frame to be perfect because my HDD, and maybe my RAM is probably slowing it down a little bit but I just want to see my awsome dedicated PhysX card working, it would be so awsome.

Solution
Try downloading WarMonger, Its free... It uses physix only... i have 2 nvidia 9600 gt 512mb and i get 80fps when i enable the phx, and when i turn off the option... i get Fps of 2...

try it... and get the latest 190. nvidia drivers...

bmxjumperc

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Batman: Arkham Asylum was the first game I tested once I found out that wasn't working I tried a PhysX benchmark called Fluid Mark and that didn't work, they both run but GPU #3 dosn't show any usage if I log the GPU usage with nVidia system monitor. GPU #1 and #2 do show about 50 percent usage max in that game.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Physx is only a gimmick.

I have a Ageia Card. Bought it for 17 Eurobucks. It is worthless. The few games that use it, doesn't show any big improvment. MIrrors Edge was the only one, but flags and debris were just not enough to have something drawing 30 watts in my already cramped case.

Second, it generates a lot of heat.

Third, i have my computer on the living room. It is too noisy for my Mrs.

I went 4850 CF. If you got Nvidia cards, drop the Ageia card. It is useless. You won't notice it much, it is far from ground braking. Havoc is here (Wolfenstein comes to mind), and it is more CPU bound than anything else. PhysX was a good idea, badly implemented.

It doesn't seems your card is doing nothing, is probably doing nothing really.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
nope, physix cards are one of the biggest fails of the technological world. They are pretty much useless, and only take advantage of a handful of games.

your not gonna get any real performance boost from it either

bmxjumperc

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
you're missing the point, actually the card dosn't show any usage at all 0% that means something is wrong with either nVidia system monitor or the drivers that utilize the dedicated PhysX card. it should say 0% the whole time when running a PhysX benchmark (fludi mark).

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Try downloading WarMonger, Its free... It uses physix only... i have 2 nvidia 9600 gt 512mb and i get 80fps when i enable the phx, and when i turn off the option... i get Fps of 2...

try it... and get the latest 190. nvidia drivers...

Solution

bmxjumperc

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
alright so I turned um dedicated PhysX to just my 295 and played Warmonger and the performance was way down. If PhysX is on my 9800GT there isn't a tiny weeny bit of frame rate problems. this is awsome so I am going to post all of my system components
EVGA 750i FTW
EVGA GTX 295
EVGA 9800GT
Q9550
Ballistix 800 mhz 4-4-4-12
WD Black Caviar

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
what numbers are u getting... Frame rates?
and what temps are u getting, hope they are low enough.
do u have the latest 190 nvidia drivers installed.
do u have SLI cable hooked up.???

just wondering if everything is correct... (im shure it is, but sometimes something could be over looked.)

bmxjumperc

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
the temps are pretty low nothing above 80 c I don't think (and that's after playing crysis for 2 hours) frame rates are just fine in all games, of course crysis does not get perfect frame rates everywhere in the game but most places the frame rate is great, and what is the SLI cable?

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008

ITagent0120

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

I think I know your issue. Your EVGA 750i FTW board does not have enough bandwidth in the PCI Express 2.0 lanes to handle the physx processiing and the GTX 295 board. The GTX 295 is a heavy bandwidth card and unless your are running multiple chipsets like on the EVGA X55 Classified board the GTX will hog all the bandwidth. Select 780i boards will have enough bandwidth to let the GTX 295 board run at full capacity. Sorry if this information dampers your system, but I'm still impressed with the dedication to learn.