Solved

Is this a good first gaming build

I recently built a new gaming computer and i want to know what people think. I am 17 years old and this is my first time building a high performance computer.

Intel Core i7 920
COOLER MASTER V8 CPU Cooler
CORSAIR 750W PSU
Thermaltake Spedo Advance Package
EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED
EVGA GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 1GB
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1866
ASUS Black 23.6" Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor
Microsoft SideWinder X8 Black USB 2.4GHz Wireless Gaming Mouse
Logitech G15 USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
Sony DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good gaming build
  1. Would have opted for one of the superclocked GTX275s which are clocked the same as GTX285s, and OCZ platinums over the dominators to save a good chunk of change. Other than that i looks like a very good build. Have you overclocked it yet?
  2. Yes i have it overclocked to 3.3Ghz now and i have reached 3.8Ghz with very good temps at about 28c idle and 39c load on 3.3Ghz
  3. Best answer
    Thats a good first gaming build. Love the Spedo Adv. Pkg. One warning about the case... Side fan is weak. Weaker than the fan up top. Recommend you buy one extra 120 mm fan to help the cooling, and put it on the adjustable fan rack. or behind the motherboard.
  4. I only say that, because both the side and top fans are the same, but some how, the side doesnt have much power... I am assuming due to its connectors.
  5. I would save money on the motherboard, but if you like it and have the cash, go for it.

-Looks good. Have fun with the build.
  6. Unless you plan to do some serious OCing (under liquid cooling, LN2,phase change,etc) the EVGA board is total overkill. Other than that, good build.

Consider getting(esp. since it's your 1st build): X58-UD3R ($175) or ASUS P6T($250)

edit: Welcome to THF! :sol:
  7. Well I went with a Rampage II Extreme... It has not let me down... I love all its features, although it is slightly bigger than an ATX and slightly smaller than an e-ATX. It fits well enough in a Spedo Adv. Pkg.
  8. Thanks for the best answer award!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Systems