Why is the AMD Phenom II X4 810 a Deativated Item?

The CPU came out not to long ago and it has already been deativated on several websites including the Egg. Is there a reason for this? The CPU was selling like hotcakes so I don't understand why it would appear to be at it's EOL. The only thing that comes to my mind is the fact that the x4 620 is the same exact CPU w/o the L3 at 99.99$. So I guess they saw that the 810 was not a good choice for their lineup due to it's price tag. And I guess the x3 720 at 119.99$ was also a threat to the 810... Looks like AMD is pushing to many CPU's in the same price-range.

Solution
The Athlon II's have less than half the transistors and are just about as good. In terms of margins and being able to throw these out at ridiculously cheap prices, I don't see how the X3's or the lower end X4's can compete.

On top of that, yields on the Phenom II X4's must be really good by now so there are less parts to be cannibalised anyway.

jennyh

Splendid
The Athlon II's have less than half the transistors and are just about as good. In terms of margins and being able to throw these out at ridiculously cheap prices, I don't see how the X3's or the lower end X4's can compete.

On top of that, yields on the Phenom II X4's must be really good by now so there are less parts to be cannibalised anyway.

Solution

ric-hall

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I note that you list your prices in dollars, so not sure where you are located, but there are some nice deals on the older phenom II models just now at ebuyer(probably others as well ;). That said these processors will get new steppings/models that might be fun to overclock.

actually i have the 810 and think it works just fine, OC's to 3.5GHz on a 125w AMD cooler (the one that has copper, not the cooler that came with it) and stays under 55c at full load

i keep it at stock speeds but under volted to 1.1875v to reduce power and heat

Personally, Im of the belief that Phenom was actually made for the 45nm process, and why it did so poorly on 65nm, it certainly would explain alot of the problems.
Sometimes shrinks dont always work as well, and if it were actually for a smaller node, not sure thats possible, but if it were, it could be why those clocks just never came, and all the assurances we got from AMD, tho of course there were many critics, those assurances of the 45nm process came thru