Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New to Watercooling and looking to build

Last response: in Overclocking
October 15, 2011 10:20:14 PM

Hi everybody!

So it took a few years but I think I'm ready to watercool my build. Problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing. The hardest part is picking out all the pieces--pumps, blocks, radiators, tubing and fittings, and reservoirs!

Here's my system:
Phenom II x4 955
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
8 GB Corsair 1600 mhz
HD Radeon 6990
Antec 1200watt PSU
Antec P193 (case)

...and a bunch of other stuff that presumably isn't relevant to watercooling.

I run a 3x1920x1200 (6016x1200 with BC) and am looking to overclock both the CPU and GPU to achieve maximum or very high settings on modern games (Crysis 2, so on...). I have been overclocking on air for a few years now but it's just not sufficient anymore.

I would like to have the cooling apparatus inside the case, but my case is already pretty full (6-something harddrives and 3 disc drives and card reader, etc.) so I am willing to have an external system if necessary.

My budget is pretty much whatever it takes to achieve top performance.

So my questions is simply: what parts do I need to put together a watercooling system for my build? I'd like a plan as comprehensive as possible because I am very unfamiliar with this stuff.

Thanks a lot!

More about : watercooling build

Best solution

October 16, 2011 4:05:45 AM

Hey cklayoka,

I've seen a 240 rad mounted just below the mobo in an Antec P193 but to get the kind of cooling performance you're looking for you'll probably need to opt with a solution that involves at least one external rad.

As a newbie to watercooling myself I can empathize with the challenge of acclimating oneself to this subject. The good news is that there is boat load of information and good folks around to help you on your way, and if you're building PC's you this is already something you can do.

As for parts, while planning my build I took at look at build logs that other people already put together using my case and used that as my starting point. My initial parts list looked very different from where I ended up, but as lost as I was it really helped to have something down on paper. That allowed me to compare parts, read reviews on those parts, and eventually make more informed decisions.

I'd love to make some specific recommendations for you but I'm just not qualified to do so, lol. :pt1cable:  I will say that I'm VERY pleased with everything in my new build and you'll welcome to check out my build log, it's near the top of the water cooling page.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to put the side panels back on my rig. While typing this a huge but got sucked into a fan made awful noises. :heink: 
October 16, 2011 7:06:59 AM

Hi,

I would suggest you to first have a look around on youtube and forums to pick up some ideas and to gather some intelligence about the stuff existing like rads, CPU/ GPU blocks etc.

Then you should start drawing a diagram of what you want and how it should look/ pass in your case (or outside of it).

And finally when your done with your research/ planing, ask the questions you still need to be answered.

I'm also a newcomer in matters of watercooling but the steps above are exactly how I proceeded and it worked pretty well for me. Now I have an efficient and proof rig ( at least enough for what I'm doing with it).
m
l
October 17, 2011 10:08:54 PM

Best answer selected by cklayoka.
m
l
!