Ampere output not enough for the GPU

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hello again :)

As the topic says, I wonder if the system can cause a reboot if the GPU ain't getting enough Ampere from the PSU.

I made a mistake and bought a PSU producing less than 30A and a GPU consuming 36A.

I have rebooting problems sometimes, and it just happens. Ramvoltage setted.

Thanks alot :)

Regards

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
p5q3 MB
LGA775 Quad 2.66
600w Xilence PSU
GTX260
2x2Gb RAM

Also another question, it seems like I am not using my GPU fully, like if there's a limiter or something, causing my GPU to only use 50% of it's capacity, is there any known thing causing this?

The problem is not so much that it is not powerful enough, the problem is that it is a cheap no-name brand piece of junk. Sorry, but that is the bottom line here.
And yes, this PSU could potentially cause all sorts of problems. Random reboots, slow GPU performance are just two of the many problems you may experience, and it could end up killing other parts in your system.
Be smart, start your build with a quality brand name PSU.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I bought a new one yesterday, 800W, with up to 64A output. The brand is called Tagan, tho I havn't heard about it before, but they guaranteed it's a good one and that it Might solve the problem. and it did, for a few houres till I got another Reboot. Now I am pretty sure it's something else, could it be a setting in BIOS?

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Either my MB or CPU uses to be over 40Degrees(mostly 35) each time I check in BIOS, Is there any program I can check the current Temp with while in Windows?

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
As I wondered about this problem last night, I remembered that the in stallation of the OS occured a problem, the Comp Froze just a few minutes before it was all completed, maybe this is the cause of my reboots? Some file wasn't installed correctly? Maybe a new clean copy on the HDD of XP may solve it?

The freeze during the installation might have been caused by too low Voltage on the RAMS, but as it's set now, a complete, finished reinstall sounds possible to be a solvement :)

What do you think?

Also Linking a Screenshot in next message of the Temps

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Took a Screenshot, uploaded and here it is( not the best quality, although it's readable and understandable )

CPUIDp95.JPG

Maybe a new CPU (775) Cooler is a purchase today already?

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
After some more monitoring temperatures, it has reached 60Degrees Celsius as max now. The chassis stays cool all the time, maybe another Cooler or more grease on my current one? Every opinion is welcome :)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I manually set the RAM voltage to now 1.64V, and the Speed TImings is left on default tho. No, I have not run Memtest86+, but I can do that this evening, also with both Prime95 and CPuID at the same time :)

I think I will reformat the OS too, just to make sure it's not the problem:)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I have now Rebooted and manually reset the Voltage to 1.6V and the Speed is set to 1333MHz. The timing is 9-9-9-24-?-?-?-?. There are four other numbers which i cant remember. There are also two additional Timing lines, although I didn't wrote the numbers down.

Is there any other thing I should do to make sure it will run correctly?

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for helping me with the settings

Now for the Memtest86+, I can run it over night(and just hope for it to not freeze meanwhile), Do I need to burn it on a CD and bott up with it?

TRENDING THREADS