Dead people

I know this has been written about before but it is causing big time
problems for me again. I was trying to have a couple where they have ten
kids and then those ten kids have ten kids and pretty well overrun the
population of Pleasantview that way.

All was going fine with this little quest on my part until the male founder
died. He became one of those Sims who insists on lingering as a family
member. Like any other time I have had this it initially caused no problems
but eventually little bugs started to show up in the game. The a big one
where the couple attempted to adopt and the social worker couldn't leave
making it impossible to save.

I tried to delete the lot in question and move the family onto a fresh one
but the dearly departed Adam came along. When one of the Sims gave birth I
got an error message and again the build mode, buy mode and options got
greyed out.

I tried the tombstone of Life and Death as I had before but all I got was
error messages when I tried to add Adam back into the family instead of the
message indicating he had crossed over. SHould I just give up and delete the
problem family? Is there anything else that can be done? Will this bug creep
around until Pleasantview is toast?

Gareeth
9 answers Last reply
More about dead people

    On 2005-07-21 15.55.20 Gareeth wrote in reference to :

    > I know this has been written about before but it is causing big time
    > problems for me again. I was trying to have a couple where they have ten
    > kids and then those ten kids have ten kids and pretty well overrun the
    > population of Pleasantview that way.
    >
    > All was going fine with this little quest on my part until the male founder
    > died. He became one of those Sims who insists on lingering as a family
    > member. Like any other time I have had this it initially caused no problems
    > but eventually little bugs started to show up in the game. The a big one
    > where the couple attempted to adopt and the social worker couldn't leave
    > making it impossible to save.
    >
    > I tried to delete the lot in question and move the family onto a fresh one
    > but the dearly departed Adam came along. When one of the Sims gave birth I
    > got an error message and again the build mode, buy mode and options got
    > greyed out.
    >
    > I tried the tombstone of Life and Death as I had before but all I got was
    > error messages when I tried to add Adam back into the family instead of the
    > message indicating he had crossed over. SHould I just give up and delete the
    > problem family? Is there anything else that can be done? Will this bug creep
    > around until Pleasantview is toast?

    Can you move him out with an expendable family member, or move an
    expendable sim in, then out again, with Adam in tow? If you can get him
    into the family bin with an expendable sim, you can delete him from
    there, and that should make him properly dead.

    A member of one of my extended families died, but still appeared in the
    family picture, and her husband couldn't remarry because the game
    thought the she was still alive. Except, she wasn't. She had a
    tombstone in the back yard and floated around the house terrifying
    everyone a few nights of the week. When the husband (who was the last
    surviving household member) died, the lot was still "occupied" by the
    dead wife, who appeared all alone in the family picture. I moved her
    into the family bin (where she "manifested" a normal thumbnail picture),
    then, just to see what would happen, I moved her onto a new lot. The
    taxi drove up to the lot, the camera zoomed in, and...there was no one
    on the sidewalk and no icon on the left of the screen. Since there was
    no clickable, controllable sim, I moved the dead, invisible wife back
    into the family bin and deleted her from there. Now, she's properly
    dead. :D

    ^ Winifred B ^

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:55:20 GMT, "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I tried to delete the lot in question and move the family onto a fresh one
    >but the dearly departed Adam came along. When one of the Sims gave birth I
    >got an error message and again the build mode, buy mode and options got
    >greyed out.
    >
    >I tried the tombstone of Life and Death as I had before but all I got was
    >error messages when I tried to add Adam back into the family instead of the
    >message indicating he had crossed over. SHould I just give up and delete the
    >problem family? Is there anything else that can be done? Will this bug creep
    >around until Pleasantview is toast?

    You can delete his character file with SimPE. Use the neighbourhood
    browser, then browse or sims or whatever it's called. Look for his
    name. His image will likely be greyed out. Then delete his file. That
    *should* work. Has for me.

    Winifred B wrote:
    > > Can you move him out with an expendable family member, or move an
    > expendable sim in, then out again, with Adam in tow? If you can get
    > him into the family bin with an expendable sim, you can delete him
    > from there, and that should make him properly dead.

    I forgot to say I can't get them to move out from the house either now. They
    pick up the paper and look at it but the cab never comes.

    Gareeth

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    >> You can delete his character file with SimPE. Use the neighbourhood
    > browser, then browse or sims or whatever it's called. Look for his
    > name. His image will likely be greyed out. Then delete his file. That
    > *should* work. Has for me.

    Ah okay I will try that. I didn't redownload SimPe after my crash but I will
    now. Thanks.

    Gareeth

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > > You can delete his character file with SimPE. Use the neighbourhood
    > browser, then browse or sims or whatever it's called. Look for his
    > name. His image will likely be greyed out. Then delete his file. That
    > *should* work. Has for me.

    I must be dumb because although I can find him I can't actually figure out
    how to delete him.

    Gareeth

    Right click - be careful deleting some sims, especially those connected to
    memories, can cause problems. You could make sure he has knows he is dead
    with SimPE - sometimes that box doesn't get ticked.

    I thought there was a discussion of this bug at VariousSimmers.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:
    > Right click - be careful deleting some sims, especially those
    > connected to memories, can cause problems. You could make sure he
    > has knows he is dead with SimPE - sometimes that box doesn't get
    > ticked.
    >
    > I thought there was a discussion of this bug at VariousSimmers.

    I did fix this bug with SimPE before but other times I have been unable to.
    I am concerned about deleting him because he is either the father or
    grandfather of 70 of my other Sims. I can't find the is dead thing that I
    used before it just says is ghost. I guess I will need to poke around some
    more with SImPe before I resort to deleting him.

    Gareeth

    That is the overflow problem again. Once I got the hack from variousimmers
    by Twojeffs, I was able to move people out again with the newspaper. These
    problems are all interconnected with the overpopulation....

    On 2005-07-22 01.47.06 Gareeth wrote in message
    <KD0Ee.166526$on1.164624@clgrps13>:

    > Winifred B wrote:
    >> Can you move him out with an expendable family member, or move an
    >> expendable sim in, then out again, with Adam in tow? If you can get
    >> him into the family bin with an expendable sim, you can delete him
    >> from there, and that should make him properly dead.
    >>
    > I forgot to say I can't get them to move out from the house either now. They
    > pick up the paper and look at it but the cab never comes.

    That happened to one of the grown children of my invisible dead sim who
    tried to get his own place. Taxi never came. I had to have his SO
    invite him to move in. Got the option to move his undead mother with
    him. Didn't want to move the undead mother to a lot with non-expendable
    sims, so I let her be. Didn't have the same problem with the other sims
    on the lot, though. After the son moved in with his SO, the other kids
    got a taxi when they tried to move (as well as the option to move the
    dead mom out with them).

    ^ Winifred B ^

Sims Video Games