  • Sims
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 22, 2005 12:55:20 AM

I know this has been written about before but it is causing big time
problems for me again. I was trying to have a couple where they have ten
kids and then those ten kids have ten kids and pretty well overrun the
population of Pleasantview that way.

All was going fine with this little quest on my part until the male founder
died. He became one of those Sims who insists on lingering as a family
member. Like any other time I have had this it initially caused no problems
but eventually little bugs started to show up in the game. The a big one
where the couple attempted to adopt and the social worker couldn't leave
making it impossible to save.

I tried to delete the lot in question and move the family onto a fresh one
but the dearly departed Adam came along. When one of the Sims gave birth I
got an error message and again the build mode, buy mode and options got
greyed out.

I tried the tombstone of Life and Death as I had before but all I got was
error messages when I tried to add Adam back into the family instead of the
message indicating he had crossed over. SHould I just give up and delete the
problem family? Is there anything else that can be done? Will this bug creep
around until Pleasantview is toast?

Gareeth

More about : dead people

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:21:29 AM

On 2005-07-21 15.55.20 Gareeth wrote in reference to :

> I know this has been written about before but it is causing big time
> problems for me again. I was trying to have a couple where they have ten
> kids and then those ten kids have ten kids and pretty well overrun the
> population of Pleasantview that way.
>
> All was going fine with this little quest on my part until the male founder
> died. He became one of those Sims who insists on lingering as a family
> member. Like any other time I have had this it initially caused no problems
> but eventually little bugs started to show up in the game. The a big one
> where the couple attempted to adopt and the social worker couldn't leave
> making it impossible to save.
>
> I tried to delete the lot in question and move the family onto a fresh one
> but the dearly departed Adam came along. When one of the Sims gave birth I
> got an error message and again the build mode, buy mode and options got
> greyed out.
>
> I tried the tombstone of Life and Death as I had before but all I got was
> error messages when I tried to add Adam back into the family instead of the
> message indicating he had crossed over. SHould I just give up and delete the
> problem family? Is there anything else that can be done? Will this bug creep
> around until Pleasantview is toast?

Can you move him out with an expendable family member, or move an
expendable sim in, then out again, with Adam in tow? If you can get him
into the family bin with an expendable sim, you can delete him from
there, and that should make him properly dead.

A member of one of my extended families died, but still appeared in the
family picture, and her husband couldn't remarry because the game
thought the she was still alive. Except, she wasn't. She had a
tombstone in the back yard and floated around the house terrifying
everyone a few nights of the week. When the husband (who was the last
surviving household member) died, the lot was still "occupied" by the
dead wife, who appeared all alone in the family picture. I moved her
into the family bin (where she "manifested" a normal thumbnail picture),
then, just to see what would happen, I moved her onto a new lot. The
taxi drove up to the lot, the camera zoomed in, and...there was no one
on the sidewalk and no icon on the left of the screen. Since there was
no clickable, controllable sim, I moved the dead, invisible wife back
into the family bin and deleted her from there. Now, she's properly
dead. :D

^ Winifred B ^
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:20:41 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:55:20 GMT, "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I tried to delete the lot in question and move the family onto a fresh one
>but the dearly departed Adam came along. When one of the Sims gave birth I
>got an error message and again the build mode, buy mode and options got
>greyed out.
>
>I tried the tombstone of Life and Death as I had before but all I got was
>error messages when I tried to add Adam back into the family instead of the
>message indicating he had crossed over. SHould I just give up and delete the
>problem family? Is there anything else that can be done? Will this bug creep
>around until Pleasantview is toast?

You can delete his character file with SimPE. Use the neighbourhood
browser, then browse or sims or whatever it's called. Look for his
name. His image will likely be greyed out. Then delete his file. That
*should* work. Has for me.
July 22, 2005 10:47:06 AM

Winifred B wrote:
> > Can you move him out with an expendable family member, or move an
> expendable sim in, then out again, with Adam in tow? If you can get
> him into the family bin with an expendable sim, you can delete him
> from there, and that should make him properly dead.

I forgot to say I can't get them to move out from the house either now. They
pick up the paper and look at it but the cab never comes.

Gareeth
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:47:43 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
>> You can delete his character file with SimPE. Use the neighbourhood
> browser, then browse or sims or whatever it's called. Look for his
> name. His image will likely be greyed out. Then delete his file. That
> *should* work. Has for me.

Ah okay I will try that. I didn't redownload SimPe after my crash but I will
now. Thanks.

Gareeth
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:17:15 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> > You can delete his character file with SimPE. Use the neighbourhood
> browser, then browse or sims or whatever it's called. Look for his
> name. His image will likely be greyed out. Then delete his file. That
> *should* work. Has for me.

I must be dumb because although I can find him I can't actually figure out
how to delete him.

Gareeth
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:49:34 PM

Right click - be careful deleting some sims, especially those connected to
memories, can cause problems. You could make sure he has knows he is dead
with SimPE - sometimes that box doesn't get ticked.

I thought there was a discussion of this bug at VariousSimmers.

Best wishes
Maxon

> Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> > > You can delete his character file with SimPE. Use the neighbourhood
> > browser, then browse or sims or whatever it's called. Look for his
> > name. His image will likely be greyed out. Then delete his file. That
> > *should* work. Has for me.
>
> I must be dumb because although I can find him I can't actually figure out
> how to delete him.
>
> Gareeth

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:56:47 PM

Maxon wrote:
> Right click - be careful deleting some sims, especially those
> connected to memories, can cause problems. You could make sure he
> has knows he is dead with SimPE - sometimes that box doesn't get
> ticked.
>
> I thought there was a discussion of this bug at VariousSimmers.

I did fix this bug with SimPE before but other times I have been unable to.
I am concerned about deleting him because he is either the father or
grandfather of 70 of my other Sims. I can't find the is dead thing that I
used before it just says is ghost. I guess I will need to poke around some
more with SImPe before I resort to deleting him.

Gareeth
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:44:56 PM

That is the overflow problem again. Once I got the hack from variousimmers
by Twojeffs, I was able to move people out again with the newspaper. These
problems are all interconnected with the overpopulation....

> Winifred B wrote:
>> > Can you move him out with an expendable family member, or move an
>> expendable sim in, then out again, with Adam in tow? If you can get
>> him into the family bin with an expendable sim, you can delete him
>> from there, and that should make him properly dead.
>>
> I forgot to say I can't get them to move out from the house either now.
> They pick up the paper and look at it but the cab never comes.
>
> Gareeth

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:57:07 AM

On 2005-07-22 01.47.06 Gareeth wrote in message
<KD0Ee.166526$on1.164624@clgrps13>:

> Winifred B wrote:
>> Can you move him out with an expendable family member, or move an
>> expendable sim in, then out again, with Adam in tow? If you can get
>> him into the family bin with an expendable sim, you can delete him
>> from there, and that should make him properly dead.
>>
> I forgot to say I can't get them to move out from the house either now. They
> pick up the paper and look at it but the cab never comes.

That happened to one of the grown children of my invisible dead sim who
tried to get his own place. Taxi never came. I had to have his SO
invite him to move in. Got the option to move his undead mother with
him. Didn't want to move the undead mother to a lot with non-expendable
sims, so I let her be. Didn't have the same problem with the other sims
on the lot, though. After the son moved in with his SO, the other kids
got a taxi when they tried to move (as well as the option to move the
dead mom out with them).

^ Winifred B ^
!