Blurry laptop lcd

toshibaboy

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
how can i fix or how to fix my laptop LCD screen when i wake this morning my lcd has a horizontal line with blurry display from almost 3/4 of my screen and the upper portion of the LCD is normal display. i put a webcam with a suction cup from the back cover of the LCD will this have a bad effect in my lcd monitor?

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Sounds like your LCD is busted. The way you can check if it is - connect the laptop to the external monitor and if the picture is fine, you have a defected LCD.

Good news, if your warranty expired, there are plenty of the laptop LCD companies that sell them for relatively cheap, depending on the model and brand of the laptop.

The process of replacement of LCD for a laptop is pretty straight forward and the seller usually has step by step process on their website.

Whatever you do, do not buy from the manufacturer of the laptop, their prices are truly outrageous. What makes it ever more outrageous is the fact that they do not manufacture those screens, its usually Samsung, and a handful of other companies. The laptop manufacturer just puts a premium on the top (a really hefty one) and sells it to you.

Also, installation does not require you to be a computer savy person, its usually is pretty straightforward (unless its an Apple, then you will have to map it out)

Source: worked for LCD repair/seller company for a year as a student.

Hey toshibaboy, welcome to Toms Hardware Forum

I had once issue like that and when I took screenshot of it, it was clear of lines. It was a cable that our twin cats got into it : )

Point is, I thought it was the video card or driver issue or monitor dying. The screenshot showed me there was no problem with PC at all.

Post the full screen screenshot and we'll go from there.

toshibaboy

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
i took a screen shot and it was clear of lines.. i'm using external monitor right now, so i guess the problem is my LCD monitor. so guys what do you think happened with my lcd, just a few weeks ago i brought my laptop to repair shop because i had a busted capacitor/resistor so their diagnostic is to to reheat that, so it went ok until last night when the horizontal lines appear i thought it because i put a webcam with suction cup at the back cover. so guys can you advice me how to fix or should i buy new lcd monitor? thanks in advance.
by the way does anyone know how to reheat capacitor/resistor b'cos i had a old Dell laptop with same problem that i experience with my toshiba. thanks.

Takes 2 minutes.

1.Go to http://imageshack.us/ create account.

2.Upload the image and view it "View full size", right click on the image and select ""
20111001035130.gif

3.Use "Edit this msg" not just "quick edit"
20111001035342.gif

4.Follow the picture...
20111001035942.gif

5. Submit

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

Now that you have tested using the external monitor, yes, the problem is most likely the LCD screen in your laptop.

What you can try to do, which is unlikely the cause, is when you disassemble the LCD screen from the laptop, try to re-attach the data feeding cable. It is a flat cable that connects on the back of your screen that feeds the image over to the LCD. Just make sure that its attached firmly on both the MB and LCD side.

LCD screens are prone to defect. Since the screen was working fine after your screen was returned, I doubt it was the tech's fault.

As far as repair, you can not repair the LCD screen on your laptop, it is a unit that no-one without the proper factory tools can repair. You'll see what I mean once you take it out. I would recommend buying a new LCD screen and re-placing the defected one.

toshibaboy

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
guys i think the reason why my LCD screen was broken because i put my webcam with suction cup base at the back of the LCD screen. i was doing some experiment so i put it again then it went black screen and the laptop hung.. i just suspected that the suction cup is responsible for the trouble which i'm to blame, because last night i live it there for over night. ahhh that's sucks.. what a waste. thanks guys.

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Do not be too harsh on yourself, we are human beings, that's just one of the ways in which we learn - through our mistakes ;) Hope you can fix your laptop. Best of luck!