RAID 1 with an additional partition on 2nd HD

gabeha

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I have a computer with a primary 500 GB hard drive and a secondary 2 TB hard drive that I had a 500 GB partition for backup and used the remaining space for media and files off my old computer. I have an MSI X58 Pro-E motherboard with a built in RAID controller and all of the drivers installed and ready to go. I would like to run RAID 1 on the primary HD with the 500 GB partition on the second HD and use the rest of the space for media. Is this possible? It would not be a problem if I have to remove all of the media and put it back on after the set-up, but from everything I have read it appears you lose the ability to partition the secondary HD once the RAID is setup.

Solution

It is correct that, after you create a RAID, you cannot...

Chris051667

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

It is correct that, after you create a RAID, you cannot partition a drive. So partition the drive BEFORE you create the RAID. You have a situation that calls for a mix of a 'hardware RAID' and, a 'virtual RAID'. You will need to make sure, that your RAID drivers are capable of doing a 'virtual RAID'. Since a 'virtual RAID' will be part of the total RAID setup.

Solution