Your question

Hybrid SSD HDD system

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2011 5:11:32 AM

I was looking into buying an ssd to add to my 500 GB WD 7200 rpm hdd and possibly making it my boot drive for windows 7 64 bit. I came across the seagate momentus hybrid drive and it seems like a smart idea. I'm looking to see if I could add an sdd to my current HD rather than just making the ssd a boot drive. I would like to do it in a way that would move the most commonly used files to the ssd for better performance. Is there a program that I could use or an adapter that I could buy that would allow me to do this?

More about : hybrid ssd hdd system

a b G Storage
June 4, 2011 5:31:35 AM

The new intel motherboards with the Z68 chipset will do it, but you'll get much better performance using the SSD as a boot drive and the hard drive for data. You can get a 60GB SSD if you want a OS only boot drive with a little extra room for applications. I prefer a 120GB SSD boot drive which has plenty of extra room for your most important apps and data files, and they're faster than the 60GB SSDs. If you decide to go with an SSD boot drive, make sure you optimize Windows to properly use your SSD. Here is a good guide by tecmo34...

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
a b G Storage
June 4, 2011 5:32:38 AM

Highpoint makes a cheap hybrid drive controller. Think LSI and a few others are adopting it as well since there's a niche for it. Could be great for a gaming setup I would imagine.

OCZ has a new Revo coming out now called the Revo Hybrid or something like that.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/ssd--hdd--pcie--ocz-revodri...
Related resources
June 4, 2011 3:16:07 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I really like the HighPoint RocketHybrid 1220 but cant find any positive reviews. If I got the RocketHybrid, I would probably go for a faster and smaller SATA 6Gb/s 60 GB ssd like the Agility 3 or M4 ($180 total). If i was just going to make a new boot drive I would be better off going with a 120 GB intel 320 ssd because of the reliability($240). I'm also not sure if my Motherboard supports SATA 6Gb/s (I have an intel H55tc). Would one of these be faster than the other? I'm leaning towards the cheaper one, but I'm open to opinions and suggestions.
a b G Storage
June 4, 2011 6:18:36 PM

I looked up your motherboard and it only supports SATA II (3 Gbps), no need to get a SATA III (6 Gbps) drive unless you plan on upgrading your motherboard soon. If you're going the RocketHybrid route, I would suggest a 40-60GB Sandforce drive, like the Agility 2 or Vertex 2. Sandforce drives are faster at lower capacities than Micron drives (C300 or M4).

An SSD cache drive should give you a boost, but keep in mind that best performance will only be obtained when using an SSD as a stand-alone drive.
June 5, 2011 5:14:45 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed that using the RocketHybrid PCIe adapter would bypass the limitations of the motherboard SATA ports. The adapter is supposed to work with SATA iii (6 Gbps). If this is true then a smaller SATA iii ssd with the RocketHybrid should be faster than a SATA ii boot drive ssd. Am I right to assume this?
a b G Storage
June 5, 2011 6:23:12 AM

the theory is sound but the comparison to that Highpoint sata chip(probably uses a Marvell chip) would not be night and day despite the faster bus speed.

Sure the reads will be higher on the 6G card.. but the writes are stronger on the Intel sata2 chip so you end up just robbing peter to pay paul there.
a b G Storage
June 5, 2011 5:55:56 PM

Sorry, had too many things going on at once. BrianU, you are correct that the RocketHybrid would have faster transfers at SATA III than your motherboard would at SATA II. However, as groberts101 stated, the RocketHybrid uses the Marvell SATA III controller which has performance issues. Also, it is a fact that a caching setup will never be as fast as a standalone SSD. Not even Intel's new Z68 chipset can cache as fast as a standalone SSD. All things being equal, you would think that the RocketHybrid SATA III caching would be equal to or greater than the speed of a SATA II standalone SSD. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
!