Sign in with
Your question

Fan Noise

Last response: in Components
November 10, 2009 10:45:28 PM

I have a CM 690 case, and the side panel fan makes a lot of noise. I ordered 2 new fans (one for the top of the case) to replace the noisy fan. I put the fan in, and when I started the computer, the noise started again. Granted, it was quieter, but it still sounds like it is vibrating. So after trying other positions, I put the original fan back and the two new fans on top of the case.

When I put my hand right over the fan, it stops vibrating. Should I put something over the fan to quiet it down, or would that block airflow? Is there another solution?

Also, my temperatures on speedfan are the same, if not slightly warmer. How should I arrange them to get the cooling I want?
The current positions are: the original fan in the original side panel and the two new fans on top

Thanks a lot guys!

More about : fan noise

a c 144 ) Power supply
November 11, 2009 4:52:07 AM

clayton_95 said:

When I put my hand right over the fan, it stops vibrating. Should I put something over the fan to quiet it down, or would that block airflow? Is there another solution?

The fan is coupling its vibration to the case which then is acting like a sounding board. You need to come up with a way to shock mount the fan - mount it with rubber or something to isolate the fan vibration from the case.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2009 7:05:17 AM

you could try use foam tape if you have any, also what fans are you using.

Use one of these recomended fans if you want it to be really quiet.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

I got the Nexus Real Silent Case Fan D12SL-12, its very quiet.

Another point is that having a side panel fan is of no use and can actually make temps go up, ill try and find the article.
m
l
November 11, 2009 11:44:50 AM

Alright, I'll try to come up with a way to shock mount it. Those fan silencers that JackNaylorPE recommended have problems with installing, according to the reviews.

Would a rubber eraser with a screw hole in it be isolating? That's all I can think of home-made wise.

@shrex: that article would really help. Or is there a possibility that these fans are on intake, and exhaust would be a more effective job for them?
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 11, 2009 7:03:03 PM

clayton_95 - I've used both silicone and rubber silencers for case fans and power supplies. I never had any problem installing them. The silencers do shift a bit but it should not be a problem. The harder rubber ones are easier to work with than the softer silicone ones.

I have another solution for you - rubber grommets installed in the mounting holes in the case. I buy them at my local hardware store. They are much cheaper than what the online pc vendors charge.

And one more solution - small rubber washers on the inside of the case between the fan and the panel - also available at local hardware stores for a few pennies each
m
l
November 12, 2009 2:36:34 AM

JohnnyLucky, you are a winner :)  I will be sure to try that when I can.

Now I have a really stupid question... Do I just flip the fan over and install it that way to change from intake to exhaust?
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 12, 2009 3:21:46 AM

Yes, just reverse/flip the fan.
m
l
!