Tags:
  • CPUs
  • DVD
  • Hewlett Packard
  • System Recovery
Last response: in CPUs
November 10, 2009 11:00:14 PM

Hello,

I need to replace the primary disk drive for my hp dv9620us laptop but I can't find the system recovery dvd. Is there any alternative to do the restore without the recovery dvd?

More about : system recovery

November 11, 2009 12:56:45 PM

fiudude57 said:
Hello,

I need to replace the primary disk drive for my hp dv9620us laptop but I can't find the system recovery dvd. Is there any alternative to do the restore without the recovery dvd?

Are you going to change that hard drive for a new one?
See if your current hard drive has a hidden restore partition.
If your hard drive has the restore partition, you can try to clone the hard drive to the new one and try to restore it like that.

Usually to do a restore like that, you will have to press one or two keys when booting (i.e. F11).
Look for how to restore to factory settings in your manual.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more problems.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2009 1:16:26 PM

Normally newish HP/Compaqs do not have recovery cd's ... They have a recovery partition on the main harddrive... for example a 250Gig harddrive will have a 30Gig recovery partition and a 220Gig OS Partition.

When you boot up you should see press F11 (or something like that) to access recovery partition.

If however you are replacing the harddrive of the laptop I can assume that you are also able to reinstall windows.

My recommendation will be a bit of work, here it is.

Know your exact version of windows... XP Pro XP Home, Vista Home Premium...
Download the installation ISO From a torrent or a friend who knows.
Install it using the CD Key under the laptop.
Once done, go here to get the drivers and install them http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?pro...
Make sure you have another pc available with a usb stick in case the network card isnt automatically detected.
Then get avira antivir from http://www.free-av.com/

When done you will see the difference between a Fresh install and a HP Install + billions of trial crap.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2009 1:19:16 PM

Quote:
When done you will see the difference between a Fresh install and a HP Install + billions of trial crap.

+1 :D 
m
l
November 11, 2009 1:53:04 PM

C00lIT said:
Normally newish HP/Compaqs do not have recovery cd's ... They have a recovery partition on the main harddrive... for example a 250Gig harddrive will have a 30Gig recovery partition and a 220Gig OS Partition.

When you boot up you should see press F11 (or something like that) to access recovery partition.

If however you are replacing the harddrive of the laptop I can assume that you are also able to reinstall windows.

My recommendation will be a bit of work, here it is.

Know your exact version of windows... XP Pro XP Home, Vista Home Premium...
Download the installation ISO From a torrent or a friend who knows.
Install it using the CD Key under the laptop.
Once done, go here to get the drivers and install them http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?pro...
Make sure you have another pc available with a usb stick in case the network card isnt automatically detected.
Then get avira antivir from http://www.free-av.co

Thanks for the info.
I did a windows complete backup before changing the diskdrive. when I press F11 for the recovery partition; no response. so i now need help to install windows vista home premium so i can later upgrade to vista ultimate (I have the ultimate upgrade dvd). can you also guide me re the "installation ISO from a torrent"...not sure what to do there....thanks
m
l
November 11, 2009 2:46:00 PM

fiudude57 said:
Thanks for the info.
I did a windows complete backup before changing the diskdrive. when I press F11 for the recovery partition; no response. so i now need help to install windows vista home premium so i can later upgrade to vista ultimate (I have the ultimate upgrade dvd). can you also guide me re the "installation ISO from a torrent"...not sure what to do there....thanks

If you go to a torrents site and look for the .iso (image) of the OS you want, and burn it to a CD, then install it using the code your laptop came with, your install will be legal, because you would be using your own CD Key.
m
l
November 11, 2009 10:52:29 PM

Thanks for all the great help.

Another question:

I bought a 250 gb harddrive to replace the defective primary harddrive. But I am now thinking to do a physical swap with my data harddrive (secondary hardrive - 120gb); so I would install the os on the 120 gb and use the 250 gb for data.

Do I need to do any config etc and should I wipe clean the 120gb before installing the os or just do a partition?
m
l
!