Sign in with
Your question

SATA 2 HDD work on SATA 1 Motherboard ??

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2011 9:51:42 AM

Hi everybody :) 

I have laptop which it has sata 1 HDD but i'm planning to buy (Samsung Spinpoint MT2 HM100UI) which it sata 2. does it will work on my laptop? please help .

More about : sata hdd work sata motherboard

a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2011 12:58:53 PM

g_e_ner_a_l said:
Hi everybody :) 

I have laptop which it has sata 1 HDD but i'm planning to buy (Samsung Spinpoint MT2 HM100UI) which it sata 2. does it will work on my laptop? please help .

It should as SATA II is backward compatible. A word of advice, make sure your laptop has the most up-to-date BIOS. Some older laptops may not recognize 1TB drives. Make sure yours will before you purchase it.
June 4, 2011 6:11:17 PM

Many SATA-II hard drives have a small jumper clip that can force it to operate as SATA-I.

timinator is right; they should be automatically backwards compatible, but some older motherboards have trouble telling the drive "I'm SATA-I; you need to speak SATA-I with me" and cause the drives to try SATA-II, which doesn't work.

Generally you should be fine, though.
Related resources
June 5, 2011 3:55:31 AM

(I just posted this on another thread because that's where my search led...however, I just found this so the question more properly belongs here. Please forgive the reference to older posts as that was regarding the other thread. Sorry, Ronbo13)

Hi guys. Anyone still out there? All I've seen is old posts about SATA and SATA II drives. My question is that I have an Asus P4C800E Deluxe, and it has SATA and can run Raid 0 - 3 (I think, I know it runs several numbers of Raids). I want to buy a huge new drive to use the old puter as a mega storage device for my wireless laptop and tablet. In the descriptions I see SATA, SATA II, & SATA III. I saw in the thread that SATA II will run with a SATA board and cable. What about a SATA III. Seems the larger drives run III. I've only seen a few that are SATA compatible but the max size is 500Mb and 5400rpm. Any suggestions? I don't want to pay an exorbitant price for something that isn't backwards compatable.

Thanks,

Ron K.
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2011 4:16:09 PM

Same same. The newest hard drives will still talk to older controllers. Just make sure your BIOS is doesn't have any size limitations.
June 18, 2011 1:47:33 PM

Thanks, timinator. I just didn't know if my motherboard from 2004, which had the first SATA connectors, would work with a 2011 drive.

Now if I can only get answers regarding my Audigy2 ZS Platinum sound card, and my GeForce nVidia 6800GT to get them working correctly under Vista, I'd be a happy man!
!