Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC getting slower? (or my SSD)

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2011 10:14:10 AM

Hello everyone. Ok so, getting right into it, my ? is,
is it possible that my SSD after a good 6 months or so, that it could get slower?

ofcourse there is the possibility that ive gotten used to it lol. but yeah.
reason i ask is because, i do notice however small, the occasional slowdown, like for example photoshop, when id click it to open, itd be like double click / splash screen / load BOOM done and fully operational in like 3 seconds?

now it sometimes holds there for about 5 or so........i know not a huge diff but yeah.

also to note, startup is super fast still but...........hard to explain....

is there a sure fire way to make an ssd faster, to clean it from junk etc...like one would for an HDD with defrag or dick cleanup?

thanks in advanced.

oh and real fast, my sys specs are

quad 3.4 no OC
90g SSD boot drive etc
and
16 gigs of ram

More about : slower ssd

June 4, 2011 10:47:39 AM

somdow said:
Hello everyone. Ok so, getting right into it, my ? is,
is it possible that my SSD after a good 6 months or so, that it could get slower?

The only way to be sure is to run a benchmark, and compare it to a review for the same drive where they ran the same benchmark. If it's out by more than 5-10% on any metric, something might be up. It might be that your drive is having garbage collection issues. If you're running Win 7, you need to make sure you have activated TRIM which handles this, and keeps your drive operating at maximum speed.
More information on how much performance can be impacted here.
m
l
June 4, 2011 2:11:17 PM

Do you defragment it a lot? If you do, you shouldn't.

Oh, and you could disable some start up stuff in msconfig.

What type of SSd do you have?

DId you install it as AHCI?
Open command prompt
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
1 is off, 0 is on
m
l
Related resources
June 4, 2011 2:30:30 PM

whats up gentlemen.

Ok so, to answer your ?s.

no i dont defrag ever. well not on my SSd.

as far as SSD type. i honestly cannot remember the SSD i have on this.
but its a kingston.......

crap let me open it up.... :bounce: 

ok so i have a OCZ agility 2 90gig SSD.

as for the FSUTIL its on 0.

is this good or bad or? and TRIM, i gotta do my homework... i just plugged in, and pressed play lol.

edit*** and nitrium, thanks for the link, will read in a bit.
m
l
June 4, 2011 7:56:50 PM

somdow said:
ok so i have a OCZ agility 2 90gig SSD.
as for the FSUTIL its on 0.
is this good or bad or? and TRIM, i gotta do my homework... i just plugged in, and pressed play lol.

That is good. It means TRIM is activated.
I found this benchmark for you to compare yours against. Those two benchmarks were run using AS SSD and ATTO (click links to download). Be sure to have configured ATTO the same as shown in the screenshot. If you get roughly the same scores, your drive is functioning normally.
m
l
June 4, 2011 10:41:00 PM

Also, update your firmwares if you haven't for your SSD.
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
June 5, 2011 2:22:27 PM

For a starter.
Run the AS SSD benchmark as nitrium suggested. In the upper left it will show what the controller is (in nitrium link it shows msahci) and if the SSD is properly aligned (Shows green OK). Note for this info you just need to open the program. Only run the Benchmark for comparision, and DO NOT run benchmarks on an SSD often.

The agility 2 Series uses the SF1200 controller and will perform better using the intel controller (iaStor in stead of msahci - microsoft default controller). For the Intel controller you would need to down load and install the lastest RST (Version 10) drivers.

As to the SSD equivalent to defragment is to Wipe the disk (Erase) and reload the Operating system + programs. Not as bad as it sounds with win 7. Before wiping disk:
(1) Remove any programs no longer used, Delete (a) any files you have created on C that are no longer used. (b) clear internet temp files, if on C (c) run a registry cleaner.
(2) Use windows Back-up (in control panel) to create a system image of C-drive. You can also create a Bootable restore disk - Not needed if you have Win 7 installation DVD.
(3) Perform secure erease. Look up (google it, or look at OCZ forum) on how to do a secure erease.
(4) Using either the Windows 7 installation disk, or the disk you created in step 2 to reinsall the image
(5) Walla, your done, Do NOT need to reinstall windows or your programs.

PS: I know you have already done step 2 to back up "C drive". Just incase you have a Problem with C drive booting.
June 12, 2011 12:09:54 AM

Hello again gentlemen.

thanks for a SUPER informative responses.

As for the tests and all that. will do first thing in the morning. i have several backups but, long story short, my main 1.5 tb backup drive crapped out on me after about 8 minths of use...so sending back lol... so im busy copying all the data to my two other drives.

ill run the benchmarks etc first, and if i can create an image and it keeps the EXACT setup the way i have it then ill jump on it ASAP!

quick question though, @ retiredchief., you said

" The agility 2 Series uses the SF1200 controller and will perform better using the intel controller (iaStor in stead of msahci - microsoft default controller). For the Intel controller you would need to down load and install the lastest RST (Version 10) drivers. "

i run an AMD chipset via Asus crosshair iv formula. anything recommended for that as far as the controllers?? like any pro tips to get this baby in tip-top running shape?

again thanks in advanced to all.
m
l
June 12, 2011 12:10:04 AM

Best answer selected by somdow.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
June 12, 2011 3:18:01 AM

With the AMD chipset, just use the default ms AHCI driver. You can google amd driver and SATA II SSDs to see if AMD has put out a driver that works with the SF1200 controller. Myself no experience on the current status of AMD and how they work with the SATA II SSDs - sorry not much help on that question. Maybe a amd user can answer.
m
l
July 18, 2011 4:30:28 PM

Hello again all. decided to bring this one back up to directly respond to the knowledge you all shared and direct test confirmation that my ssd is going bad?

if i posted wrong or shouldve opened another thread then sry.

so

before i had dissmissed it as like whatever, but now i dont know, i notice that although still fast i guess, its not AS fast as when i got it.
answering the call from above as far as running the AS benchmark, i found it, downloaded it, ran it and here are my results.

i dont know how to post a pic on here so i uploaded to my server (link)
and when compared to the AS benchmark shown above for reference.

mine is low.
what does this mean? trouble ahead?

heres the link from the post above to se as a reference of performance.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/attachment.php?...

and here is my actual .
http://www.somdowprod.net/as-ssd-bench.png

again my specs are:

quad 3.4ghz BE AMD no OC
16 gigs of ram
h50 cooling.

90g OCZ SSD 90g boot drive etc
i use this primarily for my boot drive.

and yeah. no slouch i dont think.
i have in addition to this, 2 internal HDDs, one for downloads only, one for games and desktop type replacement (my web work etc.. and and external 1.5tb drive to back up all else, and another smaller gaming rig with a 500g as backup aswell...
so i dont put ANYTHING on the SSD unless its a program.

is my SSD slowly dying? and if this were your drive and it IS slowly degrading after a few moths of use, is this normal wear and tear or its just going bad and i need to return it/rma it?

thanks in
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 18, 2011 4:56:21 PM

First: "and here is my actual" shows "pcide -BAD"
With the pcide controller you will get poor performance.
(a) either change to msachi - Must set BIOS to AHCI, or
(b) Check with amd to see if they have an updated ahci driver that passes trim command.

(a) OCZ has a toolbox that will allow you to "wipe" the drive. Then you can reload the operating system and your programs.
or
There is a method of changing from pcide - > msahci. it involves editing the registry.

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:
Exit all Windows-based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
(1) Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
...... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
(2) In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
.......In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
(3) On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Reboot, but go into Bios and set Controller to ahci mode.
m
l
July 18, 2011 6:04:32 PM

ok so im gonna do this now, but (ill read from my tablet jus tin casE) but what does this do?
i been readin tryin to see what other ppl did but yeah...see to get lost deeper in the matrix lol.

will it make my pc faster?
will it fix it?

does this have to do with "garbage collection" and ............ :ouch: 
m
l
July 18, 2011 6:22:00 PM

so i did what you said and index went up from 6.9 to 7.4

is it okay like this?

i read somewhere that AMD doesnt have (because of windows) proper controllers to handl trim blah blah
and strains SSD in the long run with the way i did it.?

is it tru? and if so then how long do i have like this?

edit***

heres my updated bench.
some numbers are lower but..so is this good?

current actual
http://www.somdowprod.net/as-ssd-bench2.png
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 18, 2011 8:19:16 PM

Much better.
Just use the default msahci untill amd gets a driver out, I had thought that the had - don't realy follow amd to much, all my PCs (7) are intel.

Don't run the benchmarks to often, only if you think you have a problem.
You should be good for considerable time. Performance may bounce around slightly as trim cuts in. The WEI is about right.
m
l
July 18, 2011 9:14:02 PM

thanks again. much appreciated.
m
l
July 27, 2011 2:11:54 PM

hey RetiredChief or anyone else who can asnwer....this is the problem im now having...and i assume so because its literall the only thing ive changed from the time that it was working , and wasnt.

chekc it out

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976418

any ideas on how to work around this? because i downloaded those hotfixes to try but they wouldnt run on my system.
m
l
!