Video Problem: IBM ThinkPad T41

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2004 9:39:49 AM

IBM ThinkPad T41 2379DJU (brand new)
Pent M 1.6 GHz
512 mb RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (driver updated since initial start-up)

When opening WinDVD or Windows Media Player to play a DVD, the screen will
go completely dark for a couple seconds, then it will flicker between 100%
dark and about 90% dark (you can barely make out what's on the screen) for a
few more seconds. This occurs intermittently and only when running on
battery power - even when it's fully charged. Sometimes when I reboot, the
problem goes away but that is obviously an unacceptable long term solution.
I also tried rolling back the video driver to the original condition but
that resulted in the Blue Screen at start-up, which forced me to restart in
Safe Mode and then System Restore.

This problem is extremely annoying and is definitely a deal-breaker despite
the myriad of excellent features on this notebook. I'm THIS close to System
Restoring all the way back to Day 1 but would prefer not to if possible.
I'm also considering uninstalling the ATI card (thru Device Mgr) and
re-booting to re-install it but, for some reason, that sounds risky. Any
input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer to start here
rather than have someone read a script to me, perhaps from very VERY far
away...

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2004 10:45:08 AM

Guy Quinn wrote:
> IBM ThinkPad T41 2379DJU (brand new)
> Pent M 1.6 GHz
> 512 mb RAM
> ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (driver updated since initial start-up)
>
> When opening WinDVD or Windows Media Player to play a DVD, the screen
> will go completely dark for a couple seconds, then it will flicker
> between 100% dark and about 90% dark (you can barely make out what's
> on the screen) for a few more seconds. This occurs intermittently
> and only when running on battery power - even when it's fully
> charged. Sometimes when I reboot, the problem goes away but that is
> obviously an unacceptable long term solution. I also tried rolling
> back the video driver to the original condition but that resulted in
> the Blue Screen at start-up, which forced me to restart in Safe Mode
> and then System Restore.
>
> This problem is extremely annoying and is definitely a deal-breaker
> despite the myriad of excellent features on this notebook. I'm THIS
> close to System Restoring all the way back to Day 1 but would prefer
> not to if possible. I'm also considering uninstalling the ATI card
> (thru Device Mgr) and re-booting to re-install it but, for some
> reason, that sounds risky. Any input/suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. I'd prefer to start here rather than have someone read
> a script to me, perhaps from very VERY far away...
>
> Thanks.

Take a hard look at the power management profile for battery operation
and modify settings for screen brightness, CPU speed stepping,
temperature control, etc. The CPU power control method might be at the
root of the problem. If the problem is *only* manifested on battery
power, then there is no driver problem involved.