AMDs Financial Day tomorrow, some BD info coming

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I got this thread bookmarked. I'm curious to see what AMD has coming in terms of product in the near future, including their 800-series.'

Here's hoping the words 'postponed' or 'delayed' are not anywhere in their statements.

Hope is all people have. They have delayed and changed their roadmap so much in the past few years its pretty crazy.

Maybe they are on the right path though since they did get Phenom II out when they planned it.

Well if they even planned it or it was a jump for 45nm anyways.....

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I didn't see this thread when I made mine. I'll just copy the relevant bits here.

The thing I almost creamed myself over was the info about the upcoming Bulldozer in 2011. It's going to be an AM3 part. Untill now I hadn't read anything other than speculation and rumors. I have no idea what socket Intel's Sandy Bridge is going to be but if it needs a new platform AMD might have quite an advantage when they come out. Unless Bulldozer is a huge failure against Sandy Bridge I don't see myself switching to Intel in 2011.

Edit:
source http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMjR8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1 page 26

amd2009analystdayrickbe.jpg

4745454b

Titan
I'm not impressed. From the slide linked (I don't have time right now to read the links.) thats their priorities for 2010? As in all their goals for the year? Lets see, 1) winning platform could mean nearly anything. 2) Increase LAPTOP performance and battery life by 25%. Thats good, assuming your running a laptop. What do us desktop users get? 3) Expand OpenCL. Neat, maybe some products will come out in 2011? 4) Win DX11 NOTEBOOK transition. That should be easy, what does nvidia have out that's DX11? 5) Launch 12 core Opteron CPU. Great, a server chip, and even more cores that might not scale with consumer programs.

So for those of us gamers, we get what exactly? What new CPU thing is AMD planning on releasing soon to get us excited? If that's the most exciting slide showing whats coming, I'm not happy.

I think everyone agrees with you, the sooner the better.
And unfortunately, so far, no big surprises on release dates/timing
But, you have to be encouraged with the 1 TB ability at the low end, means better games down the road, thats IF LRB can keep up, and leaves nVidia cold tho for low end

randomizer

Champion

What exactly do you want? The only thing AMD can really do to potentially boost gaming performance is higher clock speeds and higher IPC. It's not like a consumer 12-core CPU is going to be useful to you. CPUs are for work, GPUs are for games, HPCGPcGPUs are for lots of work.

AMDs main focus is going to be in the server market. Remember this: A Phenom II is the same CPU as a Opteron equivalent just priced for consumers. Server chips normally start at $1K and go up to $3K sometimes. They make much more money there than they do on the DT.

If anything I would expect the 5870X2 to be the main on in 2010 then the 5890 and possibly 5890X2. Probably wont see much of a gaming boost from AMD until R900 which might not be out till 2011 since nVidias G300 is not set till next year and all ATI will have to do is a refresh of the 5800 to stay in the game.

Lol....

4745454b

Titan
Thanks guys, but I was asking you to tell me something I don't know. I know that a 12core chip isn't going to do much for me, I pointed that out earlier. If they had a slide saying something about a new process that will allow higher clocks, or a really new Arch coming that will increase IPC then I would be happy. But saying things like 12core chip and increase battery life doesn't "speak" to me.

Actually Anand had a slide on their site that did get my heart rate up 5 beats.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3674

Like hyper threading only better due to more hardware? So they to will be able to release a 4 core/8 threaded chip like the i7. I assume this will help them compete in threaded apps, and be cheaper to make then a real 6 core and definately the 12 core monster. Still won't help in gaming much. We'd need their version of Overdrive for that.

I wonder what other improvments Bulldozer has?

Itll be IPC mucho improved, itll have higher clocks. Cant find the refernces, looking now. Ill find em.
From a gaming perspective, itll have a higher connect rate, eliminating completely any Intel advantage, but we will se this before BD anyways. Its the main reason for the multi card perf differences, which show higher than IPC in some cases

Still like everything to be taken with a grain of salt. There is no 100% until its out to the testers to show us.

AMD can tout like Intel does all they want and we can swoon to it but the truth of the matter is that everything they say cannot be taken as 100%.