Sign in with
Your question

BSOD, atapi.sys and new sata II hddd

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2011 2:26:08 PM

Hi,
I had problems on laptop Siemens mobile esprimo with HDD (Seagate Momentus 5400.3 ST980811AS 80GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 1.5Gb/s). It was S.M.A.R.T. warning "SMART failure predicted", after few days the error was "Disk read error occurred" and I have bought new hdd, (320 GB, WD3200BEVT, 2.5", SATA-2).
I made two partitions and installed winxp. Everything was OK during windows installation, but later, after installation of many program and drivers there is BSOD 0x0000007B and BSOD atapi.sys....I checked the memory by memtest86+, and memory is OK...

Does anybody have any idea?

Maybe new hdd, which is sata-2 has a problem with the sata-1 controller?
June 4, 2011 4:21:03 PM

I tried some other sata-1 hdd in this laptop and it works OK. No restarts, no BSOD...

How I can make this sata-1 controller to work with this sata-2 hdd?
June 4, 2011 8:59:00 PM

Look for a jumper on the drive -- I'm not sure if laptop hard drives have them, but often there's a little tiny clip that you can move to force the hard drive into SATA-1 mode.

If there isn't a jumper, there might be some kind of firmware configuration utility for the drive that you can use to tell it to go into SATA-1 mode and stay there -- but you might need to run that from a newer computer before you can put the drive into this one.

~Felix.
!