New CPU or New Videocard?

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Thinking about upgrading soon. I am either going with a new cpu or a new videocard. Currently, I'm running a Phenom 9600 @ 2.6ghz and an
ATI 3870 video card. My choice will be either a Phenom II 945 or a 5770 videocard.

So what should I get for the best boost in games like Crysis, etc?

xaira

Distinguished
the vid card would help more, but the cpu is the base upon which the pc is built, so they go hand in hand, get the 945 or the 5770, either one will increase the performance of ur rig, but you wont see full results until you get both.

N@n0

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
+1 for amnotanoobie,
GPU will give the biggest performance increase in Games...
Though that will certainly be bottlenecked by the cpu, and vice versa if you go with CPU upgrade...

Get a 5850 or a 5870 if you can splash the cash as Crysis will benefit more from a better GPU given your running a quad at 2.6 ... around 3Ghz seems to be the sweet spot though (where no more gains produce a better result given a mid to high end graphics card).

What mobo do you have there?

Can you get the dilithium crystals to resonate any higher?

9600 @ 2.6 ... is it a black?

The 5 series ATI cards are quite pricey at present ... but a fast single slot solution.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Do you just game? Any chance of getting both? Athlon II quads and Phenom II triples are in the low $100s right now, any chance of squeezing both in? If not, upgrade the CPU now and GPU when the 5XX0s pricedrop. No CPU pricedrops in sight right now, unfortunately.