Diamond Radeon HD 4650 (AGP)

pacific27

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Just bought an diamond radeon hd 4650 (agp) card for my aged pentium 4 system with an Nvidia 64mb 2x/4x agp card. When installed I could not get any video through the card??I replaced the 350w power supply to a 500w power supply per recomendation, same results. Reinstalled old graphics card and works fine. Would like to squeeze out a few more years on this Desktop. Had similar results a year ago with a different video card. Would rather not spend another $40 to have someone install for me, like to learn as i go. Any help, Ideas would be appreciated

P4 2.4ghz
2.5GB Ram pc3200
MSI mainboard sis 640dx socket 478
Windows xp Home

pacific27

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
You are right on both fronts. It's working but, did'nt get the desired results. Did some research but not sure that "overclocking" will get me there either. Guess I should research a rebuild. Motherboard, cpu, memory, graphics card??Something relatively cheap that will handle HD, possbily blue ray down the line. Made the move to "Free" Tv just putting together a system for entertainment on the 50" 1080P, Any reccomendations??Or advice on overclocking my p4? I know my systems old but if I can get it to spit out HD I'm good.

javoec

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hi

I want to buy an AGP HD 4650 but I was wondering if you are still having problems with the results of the card. I've read somewhere that the HD 4600 series are meant to be used with dual core processors to get the best of the video card, so I want to know if this card is worth it for an old P4 like yours.

Do yo play games or are you using the PC only to output HD video?

Thanks in advance

pacific27

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I ended up taking the card back as it occasionally crashed my system. I installed it on the cheap (used my old 350w power supply) although I don't think this was the reason for the occasional crash. I guess all in all I realized (due to research and all the information on Tom's) that I would be better off building a new computer soon, but in the meanwhile I overclocked my P4 to 2.75ghz (runs a little snappier) and bought a new lower end graphics card 256mb ($19.99) and now just use it for office apps and some Hulu, netflix etc.
I've gotten 8 solid years with this computer and realized that it is what it is...time for a replacement. With components becoming pretty cheap it's a good time for a rebuild. I could have bought a new MB, Which would use newer (DDR2) memory, Graphics card etc ( for my p4)...but in the end it would not be much more to just update and build a new system.
It will still handle some of the older games I used to play but I don't game so much anymore. Was really just hoping to use the old system to watch tv & movies on my 50" tv but realized with the older processor that I would'nt get what I really wanted. I'm very happy with the system 8 solid years of service and never a crash and it's still running strong, works well enough for what I use it for.
I will rebuild with a quad core sometime next year. I have a dual core @ work to run AutoCad 3D and it's pretty quick. I'll probably spend 1/2 of what I bought that P4 system for back in 2002. I saw a triple core and motherboard @ Fry's last week for 70$ computing's has gotten much cheaper.

If your into gaming I'm pretty sure your gonna want atleast a dual core. You can get a quad core for less than a hundred bucks anymore. Hope this helps

javoec

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks a lot for the reply. My PC is also 7 years old, and is true, the cycle is complete, but I wanted to replace the XFX 7600GT AGP that is sadly kinda dead (and XFX is supposed to build good graphic cards). I bought the HD 3650 AGP since is older and may have less issues than the HD 4600 series and is kinda cheaper. I hope that when the card arrives, I'll get no issues installing it.

I also want to build a new computer next year, I'm aiming for an i7 processor, just waiting for the prices to drop a little in the country I live. Since I like to play in my PC more than in consoles, I'll try to get a new strong video card, but in the meantime I had to replace the one of my old PC to play some games.

Thanks again for the reply!