Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hardware Array Question

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2011 6:01:18 PM

I am upgrading an old Optiplex170L. It came with a IDE drive. I added a 1 TB SATA drive and discinnected the IDE drive. Now I want to add another 1 TB SATA and get this to work as a RAID 1. I am looking to order a PCI SATA Raid card. As I was researching this, I was told to have the OS in a separate drive so if the OS fails due to virus, the data will be secure. My question is: Is it possible to have a single small drive for the OS and have the two 1 TB HDD in RAID 1 through the PCI card? If this can be done do I connect the OS drive to the same PCI card or do I connect it to the mother board which has one SATA and one IDE connection? Any suggestions appreciated. The use of this computer is for home office to scan in important papers, tax papers and such.
June 4, 2011 8:45:13 PM

rocdude said:
I am upgrading an old Optiplex170L. It came with a IDE drive. I added a 1 TB SATA drive and discinnected the IDE drive. Now I want to add another 1 TB SATA and get this to work as a RAID 1. I am looking to order a PCI SATA Raid card. As I was researching this, I was told to have the OS in a separate drive so if the OS fails due to virus, the data will be secure. My question is: Is it possible to have a single small drive for the OS and have the two 1 TB HDD in RAID 1 through the PCI card? If this can be done do I connect the OS drive to the same PCI card or do I connect it to the mother board which has one SATA and one IDE connection? Any suggestions appreciated. The use of this computer is for home office to scan in important papers, tax papers and such.

Whoever told you to have the OS on a separate drive, while the data is kept on the RAID, is telling you the wrong thing. RAID, or no RAID, this is why people are told to backup their data.

They are talking about reverse use of a RAID. On my SCSI, I cannot create a RAID....AFTER creating a SPARE. The RAID setup comes first.

For my e-mail, I use my ISP's server. For music, I have all the CD's and their respective CD cases. For photos', I have them backed up on a CD-R/W.

For the OS, make use of 'System Restore'(Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/System/System Restore)
m
l
June 4, 2011 10:49:56 PM

Chris
Thanks. So all I need is an external drive to back up data? I do not even need another HDD to make the mirror, since my needs are data security for important documents. Or do you suggest a mirrored RAID 1 set up and an external back up?
Thanks.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 5, 2011 1:56:52 AM

A Raid 1 setup is intended to provide proof against hardware failure. It does nothing about software issues, if your computer get infected by a virus, it will get infected on both drives. Having a separate drive with your OS is helpful if you ever have to format it, since you won't have to erase the data drive, which means you will not need to find a place to back up you terabytes of stuff.

Also, it's not entirely true that keeping the OS on a separate drive will safeguard your data. Viruses may infect a different drive as easily as they infect your system drive, the difference is that you will be able to wipe the system drive and run your data trough an anti-virus in case things go wrong.

In a few words, RAID 1 is for hardware failproofing, and a different drive for your OS will provide you with an easier means of recovering from an infection.
June 12, 2011 2:30:15 AM

Thanks to both of you.
I am now trying to create a RAID1 on the MOBO. This has one IDE and one SATA drive. I have date on one 1TB HD. I bought one more of the same. I copied all my data on the old IDE drive and removed it. I attached a SYBA 2esata2internalsata PCI card to create a RAID 1. But I am not able to go past the system recognizing the 1 TB drives in RAID 1 but wont boot up. If I disconnect one drive and connect it to the MOBO directly then it boots up with just the one drive. I can see the BIOS of the PCI card but I can not boot from it. I can only boot from coputer's original BIOS.

I am not fed up with this PCI card. I also thought it was a hardware RAID, but it is software RAID. I hear software RAID slowly performance significantly.

Questions:
1) Any recommendations for PCI [not PCIX] hardware SATA RAID, it doesnt matter if it is expensive.
2) If I decide againts a RAID, is there a way to use the second 1TB card for backing up the data [with out RAID] from the main 1TB card?

Thanks in advance.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 18, 2011 1:50:38 AM

For RAID 1, the difference between software and hardware is minimal because there is no XOR calculation.
m
l
June 25, 2011 12:37:19 AM

Thanks to every one who took the time to answer my question. I have eventually managed to install the software RAID1. Going through windows reinstall process.
:hello:  :lol:  :bounce: 
m
l
June 25, 2011 12:51:52 PM

Best answer selected by rocdude.
m
l
!