My pc cant stay on for more then 10 sec,m Help please

t-blan

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Hello I'm a newbie but i gut the basic knowledge for fixing a computer but i just don't know it all, I had a bare bone PC , KT4AV from msi it was working perfectly and i turn it off and the day after and when i try too turn it back on it wouldn't , i try every thing , i remove all the component and the only thing left was basic components needed for it work.(CPU + CPU fan, Memory,video card , power supply , power switch and power led , I try different power supply , memory but i turn it on and the bios havent event show yet and it turn off by it self .
Comment and suggestion are welcome , because I'm using P4 PC and it ain't that good :cry:

Spec (MSI KT4AV Amd processor, 3 GB of memory, 2x 80GB HD , 1x 30GB HD , Windows XP Pro, Nvidia Geforce MX 400 )

So are you able to get into the bios? The description is a bit confusing..

It looks like you have several older hard drives. Have you tested removing one by one?
I would try using only the processor, video card if you don't have onboard video, and 1 stick of memory. If you can't get into the bios, I would suspect a bad mobo.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

outlander is most definately right.

i had the same problem (funny story), i bought a new artic cooling freezer 64 pro, i put it on my cpu and my comp stayed on for about 10-15 sec. when i got into bios, my CPU temp was at a whopping 110C!!!

i had forgotten to take off the plastic guard from the cpu heatsink. i removed it and booted up fine :p

robertwhite_51

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I dont think it is the heat shutting down this PC. It is happening too fast. 10 seconds. Try moving the jumper pins that clear the bios. Then after a minute or so, move the jumpers back. If you don't know how to do this just take out the motherboard battery and then put it back. It sounds like an unsuccessful overclock to me. When the bios screen comes up, just choose best performance defaults and things should work again.
Good luck.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

no, i dont beleive it is an unsuccessful OC. ive had my share of those and the comp just stays on without a signal to the screen. the only thing i could think it could either be would be a short or a heat issue.

t-blan

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Yeah i have check and the heatsink was perfectly attached and the fan was plug and working

t-blan

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

The hard drive work fine, I removed every thing and only the graphic card and memory, the memory are brand new been using them for couple month i tried them on an other pc and they work fine,

t-blan

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Nothing , i've tried that and i don't do overclocking , because I don't like taking risk with my pc, because the part that can be mess up in an overclocking is mostly the CPU

t-blan

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I tided an other cpu and it stay on , but this time the screen was blak , now i started having doubt on the graphic card. the one i change that was on when it wasn't working AMD ATHLON XP 3200 2.2 GHZ , i hope it isn't mess up because it cost around 130 bucks and i cant afford to replace it now