Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need suggestion to upgrade from 8600 gt?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 7, 2009 4:36:06 PM

Isee prices have fallen and am looking to get a upgrade for the 8600gt. I am totally confused as there is so many..I am looking for a price around 120$ or less. I am using M2N-MX SE PLUS Motherboard SocketAM2/AM2+/AM3 with 4g ram
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2009 4:44:29 PM

ati 4850
September 7, 2009 4:55:21 PM

Thx I will check out the benchmarks vs the 8600 gt...I have been eyeing this card... I appreciate the input
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2009 4:56:15 PM

Check out the 4870 as well, but the 4850 will thrash the 8600gt you have. Even a 4670 would give you a good upgrade imo. Also, be sure to make sure your power supply is up to the task. Btw, if you want to go really cheap, check this out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

35 bucks after rebate, and still would be a decent bump up depending on resolution, then you would have room for some more memory etc.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2009 5:00:34 PM

the 4850 is the best card for under 120 the 4870 the best from 120-150
September 7, 2009 6:32:19 PM

ok I am looking for deals on the 4670, 4870 and the 4850.
This has been very helpful. I am trying to find the benchmarks for these as well...I think TOms has a link on the front page....I am leaning for the 4850 becasue of price and performance but have not found a deal on the 4870 as of this post... but still checking and sorting out the scoring differences.

Thankis so much for the post information!!!
September 7, 2009 6:42:34 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Check out the 4870 as well, but the 4850 will thrash the 8600gt you have. Even a 4670 would give you a good upgrade imo. Also, be sure to make sure your power supply is up to the task. Btw, if you want to go really cheap, check this out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

35 bucks after rebate, and still would be a decent bump up depending on resolution, then you would have room for some more memory etc.
----------------------------

Thx for the link..I opened it and got a 9600 price---http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121320 .I was interested in the rebate and offer...can you send another link? tyvm!!!
September 7, 2009 7:32:19 PM

PNY GeForce GTS 250 Video Card - 1024MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, Dual DVI,

I found this card for 129$$......I think it might be better than the 4850...any suggestions as I am slow in checking the benchmarks as there are so many similar models that as of now I getting a little confused...but 4870, 4850 and this card I am leaning on. thx again.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2009 7:39:09 PM

the gts 250 is jus a renamed 9800gtx+ its older then the 4850 an the 4850 is cheaper
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2009 7:41:55 PM

Here's a link for the 4870.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gives you a free game as well. I just sent the link for the 9600gso in case you wanted to go cheaper. It's not going to be nearly as good as the 4850, but will blow away the 8600gt you have now. What resolution do you want to play at and what does the rest of your system look like? 4850 may be a good fit here, as I think new cards are coming out shortly as well.
September 7, 2009 8:01:22 PM

obsidian86 said:
the gts 250 is jus a renamed 9800gtx+ its older then the 4850 an the 4850 is cheaper



Thank you very much.....this help me so much as I was getting a little confused.
September 7, 2009 8:02:18 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Here's a link for the 4870.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gives you a free game as well. I just sent the link for the 9600gso in case you wanted to go cheaper. It's not going to be nearly as good as the 4850, but will blow away the 8600gt you have now. What resolution do you want to play at and what does the rest of your system look like? 4850 may be a good fit here, as I think new cards are coming out shortly as well.



Thank you for giving the link....I am checking it now...so helpful..as I appreciate the patience I am getting here and the help...
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2009 8:21:15 PM

No problem. We were all newbies at one time or other, so I can understand what it's like when you're unsure and don't want to waste money.
September 7, 2009 9:37:35 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
No problem. We were all newbies at one time or other, so I can understand what it's like when you're unsure and don't want to waste money.


This has really helped me make an informed decision...I am going to get the 4870 as it is $116 after the 10$ rebate/
without your input I would have opted for the 4850 which is a great card but with this card being special priced so closeto it I am going to opt for it.

Now I am looking to my 450w power supply to see if it has 2-6 pins and what I should do if it does not...I think it has 1 6 pin....I cant get in it now as it is in use....

I will keep you informed of my progress....

This should help me not end up with another burnt graphics card and more wasted money.

I have a AMD dual core 64 bit 5000+ 4 gig ddr3 mobo is asus M2N-MX SE PLUS Motherboard SocketAM2/AM2+/AM3 .

I think I can buy an adapter for the other 6 pin. I will let you know once i get inside case.

Much much regards for the help!!

obsidian86 --- thanks for pointing me in the right direction as I was not even looking at ati.

ohiou_grad_06 ----- much appreciated for helping me get a better card on special.

But I am still a newb lol..... but now the headache is gone.




September 7, 2009 9:54:25 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Well, make sure that PSU is up to the task. If it's too weak, with a power hungry card, you could take out your rig.

This PSU is on sale but looks pretty strong.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What power supply do you currently have?


i have a 450w...i checked the asus site and that is the min requirements for that particular card.....might have to go up on it...

thanks for the link I am checking it now. Much appreciated...
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2009 9:57:15 PM

No problem. Also talk to some of the other guys here, as they may have some better ideas as well.
September 7, 2009 10:11:35 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
No problem. Also talk to some of the other guys here, as they may have some better ideas as well.


I would like to ask about the mob and this card and if I should increase the Powersupply since it just meets min. requirments...I only run a couple usb 1 hd and a cd rom which I hardly use..3 fans.

But I am afraid I probably have asked to much now...I did find the 4870 for 25$ more in 1 gig instead of 512mg....arg..

This has been a great help and I will be suggesting this site to others....I am hesitatant to ask further newbie questions as I am a brand new member here.
September 7, 2009 10:42:06 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Here's a link for the 4870.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gives you a free game as well. I just sent the link for the 9600gso in case you wanted to go cheaper. It's not going to be nearly as good as the 4850, but will blow away the 8600gt you have now. What resolution do you want to play at and what does the rest of your system look like? 4850 may be a good fit here, as I think new cards are coming out shortly as well.

ts cheap, get it OP
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2009 5:21:19 AM

tapko said:
I would like to ask about the mob and this card and if I should increase the Powersupply since it just meets min. requirments...I only run a couple usb 1 hd and a cd rom which I hardly use..3 fans.

But I am afraid I probably have asked to much now...I did find the 4870 for 25$ more in 1 gig instead of 512mg....arg..

This has been a great help and I will be suggesting this site to others....I am hesitatant to ask further newbie questions as I am a brand new member here.

Could you take a look at the sticker of the PSU and tell us the brand and model.
September 8, 2009 3:09:29 PM

amnotanoobie said:
Could you take a look at the sticker of the PSU and tell us the brand and model.



Thanks, sorry for the delay.....it is a LBJ 2 430w.....I don't see any six pins....looks like I have to get a new PSU....the more I look into this case the more I get disappointed by what I was suppose to get as opposed to what I got. :fou: 
The PSU is a 12$ unit....

I have decided from the information I gather here from so many that helped that I am going to get the 4870 512mb...I dont see much advantage in the 1 gb.

The information I am gathering here is fantastic! I go slow but get it done right..at least with this forum and its help...!
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2009 5:39:14 PM

If you need to go to a 4850 to help fit a new power supply in your budget, I doubt you will be decided.
September 8, 2009 7:39:29 PM

1984976,22,126454 said:
If you need to go to a 4850 to help fit a new power supply in your budget, I doubt you will be decided.[/quotems

Thx for the reply....the link above has a 500 w with 1 6 pin ( so I have to get a 7$ adapter for the other) is on sale after rebate 39$.
500w is the Min. that Asus calculators tell me I need...but should do the job....that is within my budget... a little over but worth it I think....but that is for the 512mb 4870 not the 1 gig as I dont see a big jump in benchmarks....

Thanks for helping me get the best for the money.....If I could find a 550w for about the same $ I would get it...still evaluating it all.

:wahoo: 
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2009 10:16:38 PM

You may not need the adapter though. In the specs it says it gives you 1 6 pin connection, and one 6+2, which means the 2nd could just be you can add 2 pins to it if you have a card that needs an 8 pin power plugin.
September 8, 2009 11:36:37 PM

I found a great deal on this...more than enough power with an awsome rebate...thanks for that info though.

Tuniq Potency PSU-POT750-BK 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817611008
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$10.00 Instant

$60.00 Mail-in Rebate17-611-008 $119.99
$109. ---end price$49.00

it has 2 x 6 pins plus several others i might need in the future.
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2009 3:50:58 AM

Another thing I might suggest is maybe check out the forums on jonnyguru.com and see if they have any info on the power supply you picked, they tend to review a lot of power supply units and may offer more info as well.
September 9, 2009 10:46:52 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Another thing I might suggest is maybe check out the forums on jonnyguru.com and see if they have any info on the power supply you picked, they tend to review a lot of power supply units and may offer more info as well.



Thx for the share on a great site for checking out psu.....now the search begins as this site has made me change my mind..now I am looking for a good osu. Very good info share:) 
September 10, 2009 2:28:08 AM

:hello: 
APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply----$49 (had a 60$ discount not a rebate with free shipping)
POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card--126$ with a 10$ rebate.
The power supply has 2 x 6 pins...so I wont need an adapter if I got a 1 x 6 pin. The Graphics card manufacter at XFX told me to get a supply that had the 2 x 6 pins already as that was the intended design and not to get one where I had to use an adapter.

I hope everyone approves as this was a little more that I wanted to spend but is also a great deal performed with the knowledge of very informed people from this forum who absolutely helped me make the right decision.
I am greatful to get the power supply suggestion and the great site to check out PSU's.

When it comes in I will come back for overclocking help...lol...naw I am not that knowledgeable...but with this kind of forum help anything is possible.

Thanks everyone. :wahoo: 
!