Overclocking can only use 60% of cpu??

kylo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
here is a pic with prime 95 running
pctemptest.jpg
[/img]

so should i put it back to stock speeds or can i get a h100 water cooler or something to lower load temps??

beenthere

Distinguished
Intel CPUs run hot by comparison to AMDs. I'd use Core Temp to monitor the CPU temps as other software tends to give incorrect temps IME.

I would not suggest the H100 or similar Corsair or Antec or other brands of closed loop H2O coolers as they are relatively inefficient and prone to leaks that can destroy your PC hardware.

The link below shows most of the popular HSFs and a few H2O coolers for comparison. The better quality HSFs will serve most people quite well for serious OC'ing. Beyond that you'd want to jump to a premium priced open loop water-cooled system as a "hobby" or even to refrigerant cooling if you like extreme OC'ing.

You'll note that Frosty Tech supplies HSF test data for both AMD and Intel CPUs as the different heat spreader area impacts the efficiency of the HSF, so read the data for the brand of CPU you are using. Also read the complete HSF review for possible clearance/noise issues.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSINK

kylo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
i had core temp running along side to make sure temps where accurate. (they stayed around +1c/-1c of each other the whole time)

I was looking at a NH-D14 and the H100 (which is not an option now) and im not interested in complete water cooling yet (maybe next computer)

beenthere

Distinguished
The NH-D14 is a good HSF. The issue I have with it is the dual fans. The Xigmatek Aegir 128264 with a single fan and new stacked heatpipe design does pretty much as good a job for less money. I don't think .5 degree F under full load is worth the extra $20 IMO.