Sign in with
Your question

2 TB drives

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2011 8:08:11 PM

Does anyone have a comparison of 2 +TB hard drives? I'm planning on one as a storage drive but I need to be able to access video files and allow them into a conversion/editting program fairly quickly. If there are any Sata III versions that get good read and write speeds then I need your advise.

Also how are Hitachi drives at this moment in time? Reliable? Crap? Mid field? Under priced? Over priced?

More about : drives

a c 104 G Storage
June 4, 2011 11:05:24 PM

Hello,

You are looking for a 2, 2.5 or 3 TB SATA III 6Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD. The Hitachi's are great, nothing wrong with them, in fact it outran the Seagate 3 TB Barracuda in this month's Maximum PC magazine. Those new 3TB drives are around $250+

Unless you have an new UEFI BIOS in a new MB, I'd stick with the 2 TB or smaller HDD, so you don't have to deal with the 2.2TB limit.
My favorite is the WD Caviar Black 2TB SATA III. It's fast and not too expensive. Here's the listing on Amazon:

Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX

Hope that's helpful.
a c 415 G Storage
June 5, 2011 12:25:14 AM

You should know that it doesn't matter whether you buy a SATA II or a SATA III hard drive because no hard drive has platters that spin fast enough to get anywhere close to the maximum transfer rate of SATA II. The only devices that really need SATA III are some of the faster Solid State Disks (SSDs).
Related resources
June 5, 2011 10:44:43 PM

sminlal said:
You should know that it doesn't matter whether you buy a SATA II or a SATA III hard drive because no hard drive has platters that spin fast enough to get anywhere close to the maximum transfer rate of SATA II. The only devices that really need SATA III are some of the faster Solid State Disks (SSDs).

So using something like a Samsung F3 would be perfectly comparable to a Western Digital Caviar Black as a storage drive for saving and accessing saved video files and such?
a c 415 G Storage
June 6, 2011 12:17:24 AM

IMHO there's not a whole lot of difference between drives in the same performance class (i.e., one 7200rpm drive compared to another).
!