Bad Graphics Card?

bigmarksr

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I have been working with a friends computer a HP . The display a ASUS 512MB SIKORSKI 8500GT (so the HP site says) has lines though it as soon as it starts up. Just after it shows the windows symbol as Vista is starting up it gives the blue memory dump screen and restarts. I go in the BIOS and make it start with the intergrated VGA video and all is fine. I thought it might be a driver issue and tried to load the driver from the HP site, with no luck.

I put this card in a seperate computer and it started with the lines. They then went away for a few minutes after the computer fully started and found the new hardware. I then thought it was the driver for sure untill not even 10 minutes after the computer was on the lines came back on that computer. The second computer also displays the blue screen of death now with this card in it.

I am now thinking this is just a bad card. Any thoughts?

|

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Cheap solution, clean the GPU, apply new thermal paste. If that doesn't work next solution.

More expensive solution, get a new card. HP computers suck anyways, it's all about building it yourself now. Maybe you can help your friend.

It may or may not be a good idea to talk someone else into building a new computer. If the build goes well, and the odds are pretty high that they will, you will look really good. If the build goes bad for whatever reason (DOA components, bad component choices, just plain bad luck), you may have serious problems with your friend, because the build will have been your idea.

Now, if you can get your friend to suggest building, it will be different because it will be his idea.
----------
Building computers since 1977.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Funny, if the friend blames everything on you because of DOA components, bad component choices..bad luck..etc, it's not your fault. Rather the friend is not a true friend if he blames it on you, because you are just trying to help him. The final decision will be your friend's anyways to try to build the computer. What are we 5th graders? blaming on each other? I'm sure his friend's EQ isn't that pathetically low. jsc just wasted time on this irrelevant post of his, you should of used brackets for the whole paragraph.