Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Single or Dual Loop? - New to watercooling

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 16, 2011 8:54:12 PM

I have a few questions for the knowledgeable people out there :p 

I'm having a hard time deciding ... My plan is to have a dual res, one side cooling my GPU(s) and the other cooling my CPU and ram (I know that water cooling ram is hella-overkill but I have the option :p )

Loop1: Res1 > Rad1 > CPU > Ram > Res1

Loop2: Res2 > GPU1 > GPU 2 > Res2

CPU is an i7-2600k 3.4GHz @ 4.0GHz (will be 4.5GHz)
As of now i only have One GPU (GTX 560 TI Superclocked) but i'll be getting a second one shortly, which is when i'll be adding the watercooling in.

WHY SO MANY DIFFERENT TUBING DIAMETERS?! Does it make a great difference if i go for all 1\2" ID - 3\4" OD?

Would a single loop be enough to cool the lot?
Also, could I have some suggestions for loop components? I've made a selection but i'm open to change.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 16, 2011 10:49:46 PM

No reason to WC RAM..doesn't provide any benefit. DDR2 and DDR3 both run very cool to begin with.

No need to run dual loops, but I guess if you want to, you can run a dual loop hybrid using the same res (if the res has multiports) and you want to spend the money on another pump. You could easily run that all on one loop, though...even with the extra video card. I run a CPU and 2 GPU loop with 2 rads quite easily...as do a large majority of others.

Please read through the sticky (it is linked in my signature). A lot of the questions you are asking about are addressed in it.

Thanks.
October 16, 2011 10:53:48 PM

The res i'm looking at for single loop only has 1 inlet/1 outlet
Could i split the outlet and add another pump?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2011 11:28:10 PM

If you're only planning to take your 2600k to 4.5GHz then I'd say you should just set up a single loop for your graphics cards, you can hit 4.5 on a $30 air cooler.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 1:10:55 AM

IsaacKingsley said:
The res i'm looking at for single loop only has 1 inlet/1 outlet
Could i split the outlet and add another pump?


...basically every pump only has one inlet/one outlet. You'll get fine temps with one single loop with a CPU + 2 GPUs. I'm running my i5-2500K and 2x6950s on a single loop just fine. You'd only need a second loop if you're running 3-4 GPUs with OCs and a CPU with a heavy OC.

And splitting the pump for a parallel loop setup would basically halve your flow rates and hurt your temps if improperly setup.
October 17, 2011 9:34:51 AM

boiler1990 said:
...basically every pump only has one inlet/one outlet. You'll get fine temps with one single loop with a CPU + 2 GPUs. I'm running my i5-2500K and 2x6950s on a single loop just fine. You'd only need a second loop if you're running 3-4 GPUs with OCs and a CPU with a heavy OC.

And splitting the pump for a parallel loop setup would basically halve your flow rates and hurt your temps if improperly setup.


Thanks for the input :p  I'm new so i'm still learning

- Is this radiator any good?
I have a ThermalTake level 10 GT case
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 1:30:10 PM

It's an alright radiator...but you are going to need 3 of those by the time you get your 2nd GPU.
October 17, 2011 1:31:44 PM

rubix_1011 said:
It's an alright radiator...but you are going to need 3 of those by the time you get your 2nd GPU.


What Radiator would you suggest?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 1:35:04 PM

Most radiators you find are 'good radiators'...the biggest issue is determining the amount of heat watts you need to dissipate and then plan accordingly. Do you know the total amount of watts your loop is going to produce?

(Hint: TDP @100% load for CPU+GPU(s) = total heat watts)
October 17, 2011 4:16:07 PM

@ 3.4GHz its 95w
GPU is 170w = 265
with 2 GPUs its 435 ...
But i'm not sure how to work out the TDP of my CPU overclocked to 4.5GHz
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 4:38:10 PM

Well your stock TDP is a good base. Ideally you have good headroom above that, which will more than account for the OCs.
October 17, 2011 7:17:08 PM

Koolance CPU 370 CPU Waterblock
Koolance PMP-450S
XSPC 5.25" Dual Drive Bay Reservoir (single res)

Need a radiator that can handle 500 - 600 total heat watts :p  Baring in mind i'm limited to a 240mm internal radiator

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?... <---- says 700w of added heat dissipation but Rubix said no :/  Confuseeeddd =[
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 7:20:52 PM

IsaacKingsley said:
Koolance CPU 370 CPU Waterblock
Koolance PMP-450S
XSPC 5.25" Dual Drive Bay Reservoir (single res)

Need a radiator that can handle 500 - 600 total heat watts :p  Baring in mind i'm limited to a 240mm internal radiator

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?... <---- says 700w of added heat dissipation but Rubix said no :/  Confuseeeddd =[


What Koolance doesn't consider is the fans used. You'd need some seriously strong fans to get 700W of heat dissipation from a 2x120mm rad.

Take a look at these charts: http://skinneelabs.com/2011-2012-radiator-comparison/3/
October 17, 2011 7:47:31 PM

is 550 - 600 asking to much of a 2x120mm? :p 
Trying to look into a Aquacomputer airplex PRO 240, the stats on the link you posted were all 360s :/ 

Are the other components I selected alright?

I appreciate the help btw - I know it can be irritating when someone just asks questions
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 7:49:06 PM

You'd need a thick 3x120 rad and some decent fans to cool 700w. Looking at Skinnee's breakdown of the Koolance CU1020V (which I would assume to be the 3x120 version) you need some 2000 rpm fans to manage 600+ watts of heat with less than a 12 degree C delta. The fin density on these looks crazy (30+FPI), assuming it's the same design...which it appears it is.



So, let's even say you use 2000+ rpm fans on this bad boy...you are looking at ....~650watts on the 3x120 or so (depending on conditions)...you still need to take 66% of that number which would roughly estimate to ~433 watts for a 2x120 model using the same fans.

Quote:
is 550 - 600 asking to much of a 2x120mm?


Yes, sadly.

Quote:
Trying to look into a Aquacomputer airplex PRO 240, the stats on the link you posted were all 360s


Or you will just need to consider multiple 2x120's or other radiator sizes.
October 17, 2011 7:59:05 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
So, let's even say you use 2000+ rpm fans on this bad boy...you are looking at ....~650watts on the 3x120 or so (depending on conditions)...you still need to take 66% of that number which would roughly estimate to ~433 watts for a 2x120 model using the same fans.


Quote:
Trying to look into a Aquacomputer airplex PRO 240, the stats on the link you posted were all 360s


Or you will just need to consider multiple 2x120's or other radiator sizes.


2 GPUs and CPU would be 435 running at max - need a little head room for OCing the CPU, but i only have a single card atm
so that's 265w. A 2x120mm with 2000rpm fans would do me reet now, right? and I can always add a 2x120 or 3x120 outside the case later on :D 

and again, thanks
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 8:08:10 PM

If that is the case, you should, but you're going to need some high speed fans to achieve this cooling ability. Those rads are high FPI. You'd be better off with a 3x120 now and adding another 120 when you want to add the other GPU...but I know budget is a concern for everyone. Hell, you might just consider a single XSPC RX360 (or other 'thick' rad) with some 1800 rpm fans and be done with it. Then you could simply add your 2nd GPU when it's time. (this is likely the cheaper and quieter solution, and also my recommendation).
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 8:17:27 PM

rubix_1011 said:
If that is the case, you should, but you're going to need some high speed fans to achieve this cooling ability. Those rads are high FPI. You'd be better off with a 3x120 now and adding another 120 when you want to add the other GPU...but I know budget is a concern for everyone. Hell, you might just consider a single XSPC RX360 (or other 'thick' rad) with some 1800 rpm fans and be done with it. Then you could simply add your 2nd GPU when it's time. (this is likely the cheaper and quieter solution, and also my recommendation).


+1

Keep in mind that the stock cooler is meant to dissipate whatever heat the CPU/GPU is producing, so a 240 rad cooling at 100% with 2000-3000 RPM fans would be much louder than the stock fans on the coolers, and would only cool *just as well*. It kind of defeats the purpose of watercooling if you don't do it well.
October 17, 2011 8:17:40 PM

rubix_1011 said:
If that is the case, you should, but you're going to need some high speed fans to achieve this cooling ability. Those rads are high FPI. You'd be better off with a 3x120 now and adding another 120 when you want to add the other GPU...but I know budget is a concern for everyone. Hell, you might just consider a single XSPC RX360 (or other 'thick' rad) with some 1800 rpm fans and be done with it. Then you could simply add your 2nd GPU when it's time. (this is likely the cheaper and quieter solution, and also my recommendation).


Space is a bit of an issue and my case only allows for a 240, don't want my little brother pratting around near an external 360mm rad :/ 

I'll look for a thick rad with a high FPI (If logic serves, I assume the higher the FPI the better)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 8:19:27 PM

Quote:
I'll look for a thick rad with a high FPI (If logic serves, I assume the higher the FPI the better)

Sometimes. What it really affects is what kind of fans you need. High FPI = High RPM/CFM fans.
October 17, 2011 8:25:22 PM

So and RX240 with 2x120MM at 1500 - 2000, good or bad? :p  As it has a 8FPI
Or a Phobya G-Changer 240 V1.2
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 8:25:37 PM

Quote:
pace is a bit of an issue and my case only allows for a 240, don't want my little brother pratting around near an external 360mm rad


Radiator/fan grills. :) 

Can you find space for a 2x120 and a 200mm or another 120mm or 2x120? How about a 2x140...did you determine this was possible?
October 17, 2011 8:32:20 PM

"O.o look pretty pipes and fans ... ARRRGH!!!" = me dead :p 


I could get a single 200 in the place of the rear exhaust on my case
a 2x140 won't fit in the case :p  I had not considered that at all, but thanks for pointing it out :D 
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 8:48:08 PM

So, single 200mm + 2x120mm? That would work superbly.
October 17, 2011 8:48:49 PM

Fawk, no, single 120 or 140 not 200,
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 8:53:19 PM

So...next best...140mm > 120mm. If you are handcuffed to using only a 2x120 for the other rad, I strongly suggest a thick rad...they typically perform about as well as a normal 3x120 rad.
October 17, 2011 8:56:43 PM

RX240 then, that's thick, and a RX120 (or an alternate 140 rad)
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 8:57:22 PM

Ohhh....nice choices.
October 17, 2011 8:59:39 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Ohhh....nice choices.


Is that sarcasm or are they decent radiators?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 9:10:01 PM

No, they are good. I'd actually like a pair of RX360's.
October 17, 2011 9:12:58 PM

rubix_1011 said:
No, they are good. I'd actually like a pair of RX360's.

Fair enough :p  Considering getting the XSPC RX240 kit and adding stuff to it, but the pumps apparently a bit weak ... the choices :p 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 10:31:40 PM

IsaacKingsley said:
Fair enough :p  Considering getting the XSPC RX240 kit and adding stuff to it, but the pumps apparently a bit weak ... the choices :p 


I had the XSPC X2O 750 (pump in the kit) and I didn't have any issues with it. Ran quiet and strong, and got me 40C on my 6950 back when I had CPU + 1 GPU in my loop.

That said there are still better options if you're not on a super tight budget. I love my MCP655 Vario (Laing D5), though TBH I don't touch the variable speed dial at all - I bought it from Newegg with some gift cards and they didn't have the non-vario version. It doesn't make any noise compared to my fans, so don't worry about any noise complaints.

The new XSPC Raystorm block is supposed to be one of the best (if not the best) CPU blocks out there, and it's cheaper than most of its competitors too. It's worth a look.
October 17, 2011 10:38:47 PM

boiler1990 said:
I had the XSPC X2O 750 (pump in the kit) and I didn't have any issues with it. Ran quiet and strong, and got me 40C on my 6950 back when I had CPU + 1 GPU in my loop.

That said there are still better options if you're not on a super tight budget. I love my MCP655 Vario (Laing D5), though TBH I don't touch the variable speed dial at all - I bought it from Newegg with some gift cards and they didn't have the non-vario version. It doesn't make any noise compared to my fans, so don't worry about any noise complaints.

The new XSPC Raystorm block is supposed to be one of the best (if not the best) CPU blocks out there, and it's cheaper than most of its competitors too. It's worth a look.


Yah just looked at some raystorm reviews, not a lot of bad things to be said about it (if any :p ) Gunna go with buying individual parts i think, its a bit more expensive but it ends up being a better system (Just hope i haven't missed anything out!)

Looking at a Alphacool VPP655 atm
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2011 11:26:08 PM

I think that's still a D5, just with a different brand name on the label.
!