Sign in with
Your question

Task Manager Memory Issues

Last response: in Memory
February 7, 2010 11:34:56 PM

My Task Manager is taking up 100% of CPU memory, this just started abruptly. I thought it was
a virus at first. As a result my machine is very, very sluggish. I have posted all week long in
Virus\Malware forums, I think my machine is clean. I was suggested to me, my two 512 MB
sticks of RAM total (1024MB) is not enough anymore, can somebody help me determine that,
and suggest a good way to test my RAM. Be advised my machine runs so slow a simple scan
can take a day or more.

Specs

O/S: Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
Processor: 3.20 gigahertz Intel Celeron
Mother Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7104 20A
RAM 1024 MB DDR
a c 80 } Memory
February 8, 2010 1:11:35 AM

What process in Task Manager is using the CPU?
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:43:31 AM

Well the Malware forum guys helped me make some adjustments it ran a lot better for a half an hour but now CPU memory is back at 100% taskmgr.exe and iexplore.exe.
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 } Memory
February 8, 2010 1:52:39 AM

Taskmanager.exe shouldn't use much CPU resources; all it does is monitor system resources. If iexplorer.exe uses close to 100% CPU resources, then it's running something that's very CPU intensive. If you close Internet Explorer, does CPU utilization drop to normal? I presume that you have an old system with a single core CPU?
m
l
February 8, 2010 3:02:14 AM

Snap a picture of your taskbar so we can take a look at what programs are running and whats running 100% of a time.
m
l
February 8, 2010 6:41:49 AM

GhislainG said:
Taskmanager.exe shouldn't use much CPU resources; all it does is monitor system resources. If iexplorer.exe uses close to 100% CPU resources, then it's running something that's very CPU intensive. If you close Internet Explorer, does CPU utilization drop to normal? I presume that you have an old system with a single core CPU?

Yes when IE closes the usgae drops. Also yes my processor is a single.
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
February 8, 2010 11:06:34 AM

What additional module(s) did you install in IE? Check in Tools, Internet Options, Programs, Manage Add-ons. Select "Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer". Disable them one at a time until you figure out which one keeps your CPU very busy. Document what you're doing so that you can re-enable add-ons that don't cause problems by selecting "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer".
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:23:51 PM

sarsoft said:
Snap a picture of your taskbar so we can take a look at what programs are running and whats running 100% of a time.

Not sure how i post a picture, i have three jpg's i want to post!
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:29:50 PM

Chala said:
Not sure how i post a picture, i have three jpg's i want to post!

You can use - http://imageshack.us/ - make an account and you can upload your pictures. When you have uploaded your picture to image shack just copy and paste where its says - Embed this image - Forum - there is a link below it.
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:49:09 PM

If you need more help on how to upload your pictures to this forum with image shack let me know.
m
l
February 8, 2010 2:40:07 PM

sarsoft said:

Task Manager without IE

With IE bottom part

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
February 8, 2010 2:46:15 PM

GhislainG said:
What additional module(s) did you install in IE? Check in Tools,

Internet Options, Programs, Manage Add-ons. Select "Add-ons currently loaded in Internet

Explorer". Disable them one at a time until you figure out which one keeps your CPU very

busy. Document what you're doing so that you can re-enable add-ons that don't cause

problems by selecting "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer".

No Add-on's i lthink i need RAM, but before i go out and spend money i want to make sure

thats what i need, and i need the communities help in that!

Quote:
Quote:
My Task Manager is taking up 100% of CPU

memory

1st there is no such thing as CPU memory, they are separate components.

Do you run anti-virus software? If not you should. After doing a complete scan you should do

the following.

Do a disk cleanup and cleanup EVERYTHING, including cookies, offline web pages and temp

files.

Then do a disk defrag.

Then reboot and the system should run much faster if you dont do this regularly.

The best thing you could do is to just format your hdd and re-install Windows.

Well at the bottom of the Task Managerit says CPU usage with a percentage next to it, thats

what i am refering to, sorry if i referred to it as memory.

Secondly, i do run anti-virus, my computer has a clean bill of health after spending a week in

Malware forums. also i have already ran disk clean-up, and defragmented. I will NOT

re-install windows!

sarsoft said:
If you need more help on how to upload your pictures to this forum with image shack let me know.

I did my best Sarsoft if not acceptable let me know i will try again later, thanks!
m
l
February 8, 2010 2:52:44 PM

How bout i go out right now and buy two 1GB sticks of DDR which is the max this machine can hold right now?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
February 8, 2010 3:06:44 PM

There's something really wrong with your system. Task Manager uses a lot of CPU, but it shouldn't. What CPU do you have?

If you can't figure out why Task Manager is so busy, then reinstalling, as suggested by zipzoomflyhigh, might be your best option.

Adding memory won't help. Your system doesn't even use 1/2 of the available physical memory.
m
l
February 8, 2010 3:36:43 PM

GhislainG said:
There's something really wrong with your system. Task Manager uses a lot of CPU, but it shouldn't. What CPU do you have?

If you can't figure out why Task Manager is so busy, then reinstalling, as suggested by zipzoomflyhigh, might be your best option.

Adding memory won't help. Your system doesn't even use 1/2 of the available physical memory.

So how do i figuire out whats going ? Go to a software forum? This is crazy!

O/S: Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
Processor: 3.20 gigahertz Intel Celeron
Mother Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7104 20A
RAM 1024 MB DDR
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
February 8, 2010 4:19:40 PM

You don't have to go to a software forum. Please download CPU-Z and verify how fast your system actually is running. Are your system chipset drivers the latest version? Reinstalling Windowes XP would probably resolve the issue, but if it's caused by a driver, then you'll have the issue again as soon as you load that same driver.
m
l
February 8, 2010 7:47:17 PM

GhislainG said:
You don't have to go to a software forum. Please download CPU-Z and verify how fast your system actually is running. Are your system chipset drivers the latest version? Reinstalling Windowes XP would probably resolve the issue, but if it's caused by a driver, then you'll have the issue again as soon as you load that same driver.

What information do you need from CPUZ? Yes chipset drivers are updated!
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
February 8, 2010 7:53:40 PM

How fast is your CPU running at? That info is on the first screen that comes up in CPU-Z.
m
l
February 8, 2010 8:43:39 PM

Core speed 3200.4 MHz
Muliplier x24.0
Bus Speed 133.3 MHz
Rated FSB 533.4 MHz
m
l
February 10, 2010 4:24:02 AM

Quote:
Why do you have 3 Internet explorer and 3 notepads open?

You still have not answered any of my questions about your anti-virus software. Nor have you answered weather you do regular disk cleanups and defrags. Hard to help someone when they dont want to try what's suggested.

I have a few pages open on different tabs, been using the tabs since IE introduced them, they never caused me problems. I keep notepads open for notes. I thought i answered those questions sorry, but to say i am not trying what has been suggested your a little off base. I did a disk clean-up and defragmented before i even tried to post in this forum. I do not have realtime Anti Virus protection for the time being i am using online scanners. But i do have a clean bill of health from malware forum experts, so i am not infected. No rootkits, malware or anything.

Quote:
Like I said earlier, this must have something to do with your AOL software. Uninstall that crap.

As for AOL, that will be a last resort.
m
l
February 10, 2010 4:33:49 AM

Dont waste your money on ram memory that wont fix the problem. This looks to me to be software related problem. Something is causing it to use your cpu work load. I seen cpu use its work load on explorer and couple of other but never on task manager. Your best bet would to try what othes have said. Run anti virus, spyware and other cleaning software and uninstall programs that you dont use. If that doesnt work you best bet in fresh install of your OS. Do you have maybe recovery cds or you can do a system restore when you think this problem starter happening.

GL
m
l
February 17, 2010 5:28:49 PM

Zippy you would be surprised what you could do on AOL I dont think you would really understand anyway...lol

Sara...thanks for your help i had to reinstall windows, and i also upgraded my RAM cause i wanted to, no more sluggish computer thanks!
m
l
February 18, 2010 11:54:37 PM

Its good to see that you got it fixed. Usually fresh install does the job and yes in your case more ram does improve system performance in some catagories.
m
l
!