Sign in with
Your question

Computer Powers on by itself

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2009 11:50:09 PM

I just put together an ECS mcp61pm-am motherboard with amd 3000 proc. When I plug the power cord into the power strip all the lights and fans come on without my pressing the power button. Even if I remove all the front panel connectors it lights up and the fans start running. What could be causing this?

More about : computer powers

August 17, 2009 11:52:18 PM

My bet, you have a short across the power terminals, do you have the board on standoffs and are there any extra standoffs that may be shorting the power terminals from beneath the motherboard?
m
l
August 18, 2009 12:10:34 AM

I did mount the MB on standoffs, but I will check to verify they are proper placement
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2009 12:27:57 AM

ok, as far as I can tell there were no shorts. I took the MB out of the box and put it on a wooden board with the only connections to the board being the PSU. It still lights up when I plug it in.
m
l
August 18, 2009 12:32:55 AM

wait, it just lights up it doesnt turn on? Those are two totally different things, what you are seeing is the light on the motherboard telling you that it is receiving standby power from the PSU. If that light doesnt come on thats bad, but im not sure why your fans are spinning up when you plug it in, how are they wired up?
m
l
August 18, 2009 12:42:44 AM

The fans are connected with the 4pin power connectors that the PSU has several connectors for. Kinda look like this [o|o|o|o] when you look at it dead on. This unit has 2 LED case fans, 1 CPU fan, and the fan that is part of the PSU. All four fans and the LEDs to both the LED fans turn on once the power cord is plugged in.
m
l
August 18, 2009 12:49:25 AM

tfduke said:
I just put together an ECS mcp61pm-am motherboard with amd 3000 proc. When I plug the power cord into the power strip all the lights and fans come on without my pressing the power button. Even if I remove all the front panel connectors it lights up and the fans start running. What could be causing this?

The most likely cause is DEMONIC POSSESSION so I recommend you call a priest ASAP , or SATAN will speak to you through the computer

well, either that or a short
m
l
August 18, 2009 12:56:10 AM

Bad power supply.
m
l
August 18, 2009 1:00:11 AM

Well, I happen to have a lvl 60 priest on WOW; is there a talent or a spell I should learn, or this one of those epic drops that I will have to grind for? Seriously, what else could be shorting? I'll try unplugging all the fans so only the PSU plug connects to anything.............. and the PSU fan still comes on. This is frustrating; I'll remove the cpu and reset it along with the ram. Maybe even reposition the extra powerlines coming from the PSU.
m
l
August 18, 2009 1:01:04 AM

first thing to try is to disconnect power and reset from the mb

does it still power on?

if it doest you have a bad switch in the case

If it does its a short in the case or power supply
m
l
August 18, 2009 1:06:52 AM

Yeah, I said back in the first post that the fans and LEDs still lit up even without all the front panel connectors. So, I'm shorting in the case or the PSU. The PSU is brand new, so is that likely at all?
m
l
August 18, 2009 1:10:30 AM

more likely the mb is shorting on a stand off so check that first , but bad psu's do happen

you could try breadboarding it with the mb outside the case and that should answer the question
m
l
August 18, 2009 1:10:57 AM

It is possible, something may have gotten knocked loose in transit, can you try with another PSU to rule out the other components? If you plug in another PSU and it doesnt do the same thing then the PSU is the issue. What make and model is your new PSU?
m
l
August 18, 2009 1:15:09 AM

650W Chiefmax s/n:63037038
m
l
August 18, 2009 1:15:28 AM

I'm about to power this machine down and test it with this power supply.
m
l
August 18, 2009 1:52:04 AM

Okay, so I replaced the PSU with my own. The MB is not inside the case and the only connections to the MB are the power supply and the CPU fan. When I plug the power cord into the power strip then CPU fan starts to spin as well as the PSU fan. So, at this point I'm assuming that the MB itself is shorting?
m
l
August 18, 2009 2:11:12 AM

I suspect you have a mb fault [ assuming its on a non conductive surface ]

you have both psu power leads plugged in , the cpu and ram in the mb ?

do you have a speaker on the mb so you can hear the beeps at POST?

try removing the mb battery and/or resetting the bios and see if that makes a difference

m
l
August 18, 2009 2:23:39 AM

It is on a wooden surface with the 24 pin power lead, cpu, and ram plugged in. There is no speaker as far as I can tell. I just pulled the battery and reset the CMOS. Now nothing happens when I plug in the power cord. Now, I am really confused. When the board was tested before it was shipped to me, could the BIOS have been set to wake on LAN and that be the culprit? I am about to start putting everything back together inside the case and see where it takes me. I really appreciate your patience here and how quickly you've been responding. I'll update you once everything has been put back together and I attempt to boot it up.

Thanks,
Thomas
m
l
August 18, 2009 2:24:40 AM

Do you have the 4 or 8 pin CPU power connector plugged in?
m
l
August 18, 2009 3:01:21 AM

as hunter said
TWO power leads to a mb . theres a small 4 pin one near the cpu , dont forget that
m
l
August 18, 2009 4:08:00 AM

Well, after putting it back together and yes with the 4 pin next to the CPU, nothing comes on until I press the power button. Problem now is that CPU fan spins for about 10 seconds before it stops, there is no beep, and nothing shows up on the monitor. I can hear the hard drives spinning up though.
m
l
August 18, 2009 4:14:49 AM

if you dont have a speaker on the mb you need to get one so you can hear the beeps and see what is wrong .
Electronics or computer shops should sell them if you dont have one

We have made some progress .......
m
l
August 18, 2009 4:25:39 AM

Indeed, it is a lot closer to running properly than it had been. Sounds like you might have an overheating issue, check the heatsink and make sure that it is locked down firmly.
m
l
August 18, 2009 5:56:26 AM

There is a speaker that is part of the case which the motherboard is now back inside of. All of the cables are connected to the MB and the heatsink is firmly locked. All the other fans and LEDs operate but the CPU fan stops spinning after about 10 seconds. I never hear any beeps coming from the speaker.
m
l
August 18, 2009 3:53:43 PM

If it comes on and runs for ten seconds, then shuts off, it could be overheating. Check the HSF on the CPU to make sure it is properly mounted and making good contact.
m
l
August 18, 2009 5:21:24 PM

The HSF is firmly seated. It's only the HSF that stops spinning while all the other fans and LEDs remain on. I never hear any beeps from the speaker.
m
l
!