Sign in with
Your question

How to set storage to from mbr to gpt

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 4, 2011 11:00:51 PM

Hello, currently struggling installing windows 7 onto a raid 0 array. i discovered this is due to my array being to large 3x 1tb samsung f3's. i want this arrray to be my boot drive and storage, i have a Efi bios but i cant work out how to set th drives into gpt which will allow drives greater than 2tb

More about : set storage mbr gpt

June 5, 2011 2:00:55 PM

Quote:
Hello, currently struggling installing windows 7 onto a raid 0 array. i discovered this is due to my array being to large 3x 1tb samsung f3's. i want this arrray to be my boot drive and storage, i have a Efi bios but i cant work out how to set th drives into gpt which will allow drives greater than 2tb

GPT is a different way to format a drive from MBR - you can't turn a drive formatted one way into another with a setting - you need to reformat it. It is all down to the way that the disk indexes information and files on its surface. MBR has a maximum size of 2TB which is why you are seeing this. Look at

What's the difference between MBR and GPT?

for more info, in particular the Windows and GPT FAQ listed there
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 5, 2011 3:22:03 PM

im just looking to install windows 7 onto my 3x 1tb raid 0 array. im a complete novice and everything is written in computer speak,

is it possible? (i have efi bios)
if so how do i do it?
if not whats the best thing to do with me 3x1tb hard drives for performance only?
June 6, 2011 10:54:54 AM

It is possible, but you need to format the disks as GPT disks, not MBR. Having not done this, I am assuming you can do this as part of the Windows install process when identifying the disk/partitions in which to install windows. (I am guessing you'll need to remove the MBR partitions, and replace with a GPT partition).
!