  • Home Theatre
Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 17, 2005 7:52:22 AM

I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA receiver.
Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today. Model R10 80GB drive. I have a
few questions for you folks.
Is there just one quality setting? I seem to recall people talking about various
quality settings in the past.
I could have sworn, reading the manual that somewhere it mentioned max
recording time as "up to X minutes". Now that I'm dazed from reading the entire
book I can't find that paragraph. So I'm wondering... if there is only one
quality setting and the hard drive is 80GB why would the recording time vary.
Does it use variably bit rate?
And... I signed up for the TIVO service... but did I really have to? What
functions would I not have had I not signed up for TIVO? Could I still pause
live TV? Could I still record selected shows? Would I not have the "guide"?
At this time I only have a single LNB dish. Next week installation person will
fix me up so I can use the dual tuners. Silly question but here goes. With the
dual tuners I can record a show and watch a show at the same time. I can record
two shows at the same time but can not watch a different channel while recording
2 shows. Is this correct?
The RCA receiver had settings for multiple people. I could choose NOT to show
channels in the guide that I don't ever watch for me and other family member
could do likewise for them. Is that feature gone from the DTV Tivo boxes>
I will re-read the manual tomorrow and experiment but would appreciate any help.

More about : directv tivo questions

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 7:52:23 AM

In article <W3l8e.3687$VA3.68@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, DanR
<dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

> I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA
> receiver. Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today. Model R10
> 80GB drive. I have a few questions for you folks. Is there just one
> quality setting? I seem to recall people talking about various
> quality settings in the past.

There is no quality setting on a DirecTiVo. The unit records the
digital signal exactly as it comes in from the satellite, so the
quality is (for want of a better word) perfect.

> I could have sworn, reading the manual that somewhere it mentioned
> max recording time as "up to X minutes". Now that I'm dazed from
> reading the entire book I can't find that paragraph. So I'm
> wondering... if there is only one quality setting and the hard drive
> is 80GB why would the recording time vary. Does it use variably bit
> rate?

Pictures with lots of motion take up more disc space than pictures with
little or no motion. That's in the nature of MPEG2, and that's the
variable they're taking about. An 80 GB drive will allow you to record
around 72 hours of programming, maybe a little more.

> And... I signed up for the TIVO service... but did I really have to?
> What functions would I not have had I not signed up for TIVO? Could I
> still pause live TV? Could I still record selected shows? Would I not
> have the "guide"? At this time I only have a single LNB dish. Next
> week installation person will fix me up so I can use the dual tuners.
> Silly question but here goes. With the dual tuners I can record a
> show and watch a show at the same time. I can record two shows at the
> same time but can not watch a different channel while recording 2
> shows. Is this correct?

With a DirecTiVo and two lines going into it, you can record two things
and watch a third recording, or you can record one thing and watch
another thing live.

The unit will not work without a subscription. Some older units will
permit manual recordings and so forth, but not yours.

> The RCA receiver had settings for multiple people. I could choose NOT to show
> channels in the guide that I don't ever watch for me and other family member
> could do likewise for them. Is that feature gone from the DTV Tivo boxes>
> I will re-read the manual tomorrow and experiment but would appreciate any help.

You can set up a Favorite Channels list, but only one. You don't have
the RCA's multiple-favorites option.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 8:10:13 AM

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
>I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA
>receiver.
> Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today. Model R10 80GB drive. I
> have a
> few questions for you folks.
> Is there just one quality setting?

Yep. The DirecTivo records the satellite signal directly as received -- no
digitization or additional compression necessary, so what you'd see from the
receiver is what you'll see from the DirectTivo.

>I seem to recall people talking about various
> quality settings in the past.

Those are stand-alone models that digitize analogue signals.

> I could have sworn, reading the manual that somewhere it mentioned max
> recording time as "up to X minutes". Now that I'm dazed from reading the
> entire
> book I can't find that paragraph. So I'm wondering... if there is only one
> quality setting and the hard drive is 80GB why would the recording time
> vary.

Because MPEG, which is the storage format used, will generate smaller files
for some material than others.

> Does it use variably bit rate?

Yes, it does.

> And... I signed up for the TIVO service... but did I really have to? What
> functions would I not have had I not signed up for TIVO?

Well, lots -- getting 2 weeks of programming information, the ability to
record by program name, rather than time and channel, wish lists that look
for programs that you want,etc. Believe me, you'll be happy you have Tivo.

> Could I still pause
> live TV?

Yes, if your DVR's programming supports it. However, the Version 2 Tivos do
not, as far as I know.

> Could I still record selected shows?

No.

> Would I not have the "guide"?
> At this time I only have a single LNB dish. Next week installation person
> will
> fix me up so I can use the dual tuners. Silly question but here goes. With
> the
> dual tuners I can record a show and watch a show at the same time. I can
> record
> two shows at the same time but can not watch a different channel while
> recording
> 2 shows. Is this correct?

Not exactly. You watch a show that you've previously recorded while the
Tivo is recording 2 new shows.

> The RCA receiver had settings for multiple people. I could choose NOT to
> show
> channels in the guide that I don't ever watch for me and other family
> member
> could do likewise for them. Is that feature gone from the DTV Tivo boxes>

It's in my series 1, and I'd assume in a series 2 as well.

> I will re-read the manual tomorrow and experiment but would appreciate any
> help.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 17, 2005 5:42:15 PM

Thank you PTRAVEL and Dr. Personality for sharing your knowledge.

DanR wrote:
> I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA receiver.
> Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today. Model R10 80GB drive. I
> have a few questions for you folks.
> Is there just one quality setting? I seem to recall people talking about
> various quality settings in the past.
> I could have sworn, reading the manual that somewhere it mentioned max
> recording time as "up to X minutes". Now that I'm dazed from reading the
> entire book I can't find that paragraph. So I'm wondering... if there is only
> one quality setting and the hard drive is 80GB why would the recording time
> vary. Does it use variably bit rate?
> And... I signed up for the TIVO service... but did I really have to? What
> functions would I not have had I not signed up for TIVO? Could I still pause
> live TV? Could I still record selected shows? Would I not have the "guide"?
> At this time I only have a single LNB dish. Next week installation person will
> fix me up so I can use the dual tuners. Silly question but here goes. With the
> dual tuners I can record a show and watch a show at the same time. I can
> record two shows at the same time but can not watch a different channel while
> recording 2 shows. Is this correct?
> The RCA receiver had settings for multiple people. I could choose NOT to show
> channels in the guide that I don't ever watch for me and other family member
> could do likewise for them. Is that feature gone from the DTV Tivo boxes>
> I will re-read the manual tomorrow and experiment but would appreciate any
> help.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 8:06:06 PM

In article <W3l8e.3687$VA3.68@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

> I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA receiver.
> Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today. Model R10 80GB drive. I
> have a
> few questions for you folks.
> Is there just one quality setting? I seem to recall people talking about
> various
> quality settings in the past.

Thats for the Standalone models. DirecTivo have just one "perfect" it
copies the digital stream, and decodes on playback,.

> I could have sworn, reading the manual that somewhere it mentioned max
> recording time as "up to X minutes". Now that I'm dazed from reading the
> entire
> book I can't find that paragraph. So I'm wondering... if there is only one
> quality setting and the hard drive is 80GB why would the recording time vary.
> Does it use variably bit rate?
> And... I signed up for the TIVO service... but did I really have to? What
> functions would I not have had I not signed up for TIVO? Could I still pause
> live TV? Could I still record selected shows? Would I not have the "guide"?
> At this time I only have a single LNB dish. Next week installation person
> will
> fix me up so I can use the dual tuners. Silly question but here goes. With
> the
> dual tuners I can record a show and watch a show at the same time. I can
> record
> two shows at the same time but can not watch a different channel while
> recording
> 2 shows. Is this correct?
> The RCA receiver had settings for multiple people. I could choose NOT to show
> channels in the guide that I don't ever watch for me and other family member
> could do likewise for them. Is that feature gone from the DTV Tivo boxes>

yes

> I will re-read the manual tomorrow and experiment but would appreciate any
> help.
April 18, 2005 5:31:57 AM

Tuesday a technician is coming out to install the 2nd cable for the dual tuner
DVR. I currently have a single LNB dish with the new DVR and one older RCA
receiver connected. Will the tech need to install a different dish or just a
splitter or whatever they are called?
If a splitter is all that is needed can it be located near the DVR so that the
one cable Ys into two cables? I'm just curious about how much work he will have
to do and how much prep I will have to do.

DanR wrote:
> I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA receiver.
> Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today. Model R10 80GB drive. I
> have a few questions for you folks.
> Is there just one quality setting? I seem to recall people talking about
> various quality settings in the past.
> I could have sworn, reading the manual that somewhere it mentioned max
> recording time as "up to X minutes". Now that I'm dazed from reading the
> entire book I can't find that paragraph. So I'm wondering... if there is only
> one quality setting and the hard drive is 80GB why would the recording time
> vary. Does it use variably bit rate?
> And... I signed up for the TIVO service... but did I really have to? What
> functions would I not have had I not signed up for TIVO? Could I still pause
> live TV? Could I still record selected shows? Would I not have the "guide"?
> At this time I only have a single LNB dish. Next week installation person will
> fix me up so I can use the dual tuners. Silly question but here goes. With the
> dual tuners I can record a show and watch a show at the same time. I can
> record two shows at the same time but can not watch a different channel while
> recording 2 shows. Is this correct?
> The RCA receiver had settings for multiple people. I could choose NOT to show
> channels in the guide that I don't ever watch for me and other family member
> could do likewise for them. Is that feature gone from the DTV Tivo boxes>
> I will re-read the manual tomorrow and experiment but would appreciate any
> help.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:31:58 AM

DanR wrote:
> Tuesday a technician is coming out to install the 2nd cable for the dual tuner
> DVR. I currently have a single LNB dish with the new DVR and one older RCA
> receiver connected. Will the tech need to install a different dish or just a
> splitter or whatever they are called?

A regular dish has two outputs, so all it takes is running a new cable.

> If a splitter is all that is needed can it be located near the DVR so that the
> one cable Ys into two cables? I'm just curious about how much work he will have
> to do and how much prep I will have to do.

No, splitters do not work with DirecTV. If you plan on adding another
DirecTV receiver or two, you will need a multiswitch. But until then,
just two cables is all you need.
-Joe
April 18, 2005 6:29:12 AM

Joe Smith wrote:
> DanR wrote:
>> Tuesday a technician is coming out to install the 2nd cable for the dual
>> tuner DVR. I currently have a single LNB dish with the new DVR and one older
>> RCA receiver connected. Will the tech need to install a different dish or
>> just a splitter or whatever they are called?
>
> A regular dish has two outputs, so all it takes is running a new cable.
>
>> If a splitter is all that is needed can it be located near the DVR so that
>> the one cable Ys into two cables? I'm just curious about how much work he
>> will have to do and how much prep I will have to do.
>
> No, splitters do not work with DirecTV. If you plan on adding another
> DirecTV receiver or two, you will need a multiswitch. But until then,
> just two cables is all you need.
> -Joe

I just did some goggling and from what I read I couldn't possibly have a single
LNB dish because I currently have 2 receivers hooked up and working. When I said
single LNB I was going by how the dish "looks" to me. It just has ONE of those
thingies in front of the dish part.
So... the tech will only have to run another line to the 2 tuner DVR. Where will
it run from? The dish antenna? When this job is complete I will have the dual
tuner DVR and the old receiver in the basement running from a dual LNB dish.
Does that seem correct?
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:29:13 AM

In article <YXE8e.155$%L1.69@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, DanR
<dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

> Joe Smith wrote:
> > DanR wrote:
> >> Tuesday a technician is coming out to install the 2nd cable for the dual
> >> tuner DVR. I currently have a single LNB dish with the new DVR and one
> >> older
> >> RCA receiver connected. Will the tech need to install a different dish or
> >> just a splitter or whatever they are called?
> >
> > A regular dish has two outputs, so all it takes is running a new cable.
> >
> >> If a splitter is all that is needed can it be located near the DVR so that
> >> the one cable Ys into two cables? I'm just curious about how much work he
> >> will have to do and how much prep I will have to do.
> >
> > No, splitters do not work with DirecTV. If you plan on adding another
> > DirecTV receiver or two, you will need a multiswitch. But until then,
> > just two cables is all you need.
> > -Joe
>
> I just did some goggling and from what I read I couldn't possibly have a
> single
> LNB dish because I currently have 2 receivers hooked up and working. When I
> said
> single LNB I was going by how the dish "looks" to me. It just has ONE of those
> thingies in front of the dish part.
> So... the tech will only have to run another line to the 2 tuner DVR. Where
> will
> it run from? The dish antenna? When this job is complete I will have the dual
> tuner DVR and the old receiver in the basement running from a dual LNB dish.
> Does that seem correct?

The tech will have to install a multiswitch. Each one of the two lines
from the dish goes to one of your RCA units. The tech will take those
two lines and use them as input for the multiswitch. The multiswitch
will allow at least four output lines. Two of these will go to your
DirecTiVo. You didn't say whether you were replacing your other RCA
unit, too. If not, the third line will go there and the fourth will
wait until you get a second DirecTiVo to replace the remaining RCA
unit. You could also use that fourth line with the RCA box you're
replacing, and have DTV in another part of your house.

What's important about the single LNB is not its number of outputs (it
has two), but the fact that it can only see one satellite -- the one at
101 degrees W, which has almost all the standard-definition stuff DTV
carries.
April 18, 2005 4:55:21 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 03:52:22 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

>I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA receiver.
>Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today.

Too bad. It will be obsolete in a few months.

Sean
April 18, 2005 5:14:26 PM

Dr. Personality wrote:
> In article <YXE8e.155$%L1.69@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, DanR
> <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>
>> Joe Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> A regular dish has two outputs, so all it takes is running a new cable.

>>> No, splitters do not work with DirecTV. If you plan on adding another
>>> DirecTV receiver or two, you will need a multiswitch. But until then,
>>> just two cables is all you need.
>>> -Joe
>>
>> I just did some goggling and from what I read I couldn't possibly have a
>> single
>> LNB dish because I currently have 2 receivers hooked up and working. When I
>> said
>> single LNB I was going by how the dish "looks" to me. It just has ONE of
>> those thingies in front of the dish part.
>> So... the tech will only have to run another line to the 2 tuner DVR. Where
>> will
>> it run from? The dish antenna? When this job is complete I will have the dual
>> tuner DVR and the old receiver in the basement running from a dual LNB dish.
>> Does that seem correct?
>

> The tech will have to install a multiswitch. Each one of the two lines
> from the dish goes to one of your RCA units. The tech will take those
> two lines and use them as input for the multiswitch. The multiswitch
> will allow at least four output lines. Two of these will go to your
> DirecTiVo. You didn't say whether you were replacing your other RCA
> unit, too. If not, the third line will go there and the fourth will
> wait until you get a second DirecTiVo to replace the remaining RCA
> unit. You could also use that fourth line with the RCA box you're
> replacing, and have DTV in another part of your house.
>
> What's important about the single LNB is not its number of outputs (it
> has two), but the fact that it can only see one satellite -- the one at
> 101 degrees W, which has almost all the standard-definition stuff DTV
> carries.

That's exactly the information I was looking for. Currently I have a lot of coax
cable in the ceiling of my basement. The 2 DTV lines and an antennae line from
outside. The DTV and antennae lines run to each of my 2 DTV receivers and TV
antennae inputs for bad weather backup. A third antennae line runs to a 3rd
bedroom along with an RF out from the downstairs DTV box. I will have to decide
whether to allow the tech to use the existing antennae line for the 2nd line to
the DTV tivo. (upstairs) Otherwise he must run new cable through the floor.
(downstairs to upstairs) I guess that's what they get paid to do so should just
let him do that.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:14:27 PM

In article <SoO8e.275$l45.219@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, DanR
<dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

> That's exactly the information I was looking for. Currently I have a
> lot of coax cable in the ceiling of my basement. The 2 DTV lines and
> an antennae line from outside. The DTV and antennae lines run to each
> of my 2 DTV receivers and TV antennae inputs for bad weather backup.
> A third antennae line runs to a 3rd bedroom along with an RF out from
> the downstairs DTV box. I will have to decide whether to allow the
> tech to use the existing antennae line for the 2nd line to the DTV
> tivo. (upstairs) Otherwise he must run new cable through the floor.
> (downstairs to upstairs) I guess that's what they get paid to do so
> should just let him do that.

It's good policy to have the installer do the work for you. Most deals
call for you to have him run up to 100 feet of coax at no extra charge,
so if this is in place for you, take advantage of it.

If you have any intention of getting a second DirecTiVo in the future,
and you know where you're going to put it, have the tech run the second
line to that location now. We did that, back six years ago when we
first got DTV and only needed one line to each of our two RCA units.
We had him run the second line then. It didn't cost us anything, and
when we got the DirecTiVos about a year and a half later and they
finally upgraded the OS to handle two tuners, all I had to do was
connect the multiswitch and the second input on each unit. Ten
minutes, tops.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 8:18:18 PM

In article <9LCdnfAKBdKEif7fRVn-iw@comcast.com>, joe@inwap.com says...
> DanR wrote:
> > Tuesday a technician is coming out to install the 2nd cable for the dual tuner
> > DVR. I currently have a single LNB dish with the new DVR and one older RCA
> > receiver connected. Will the tech need to install a different dish or just a
> > splitter or whatever they are called?
>
> A regular dish has two outputs, so all it takes is running a new cable.
>
> > If a splitter is all that is needed can it be located near the DVR so that the
> > one cable Ys into two cables? I'm just curious about how much work he will have
> > to do and how much prep I will have to do.
>
> No, splitters do not work with DirecTV. If you plan on adding another
> DirecTV receiver or two, you will need a multiswitch. But until then,
> just two cables is all you need.
> -Joe

Yes, splitters do work with directv, provided they can handle the
correct frequency range.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:03:08 PM

In article <5jp761175t4db73laigqtacrn0m27us1ds@4ax.com>, Sean wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 03:52:22 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>
>>I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA receiver.
>>Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today.
>
> Too bad. It will be obsolete in a few months.

Sean the troll is posting a lie. Sean, weren't you supposed to not post
for a week for every lie you posted? His TiVo won't be obsolete for many
years. There hasn't been a TiVo made yet that's been obsoleted.
April 18, 2005 10:20:11 PM

In article <MPG.1ccd99ef254bde8c98a08d@news.easynews.com>, theyak <yak@dev.null> wrote:
>In article <9LCdnfAKBdKEif7fRVn-iw@comcast.com>, joe@inwap.com says...
>> DanR wrote:
>> > Tuesday a technician is coming out to install the 2nd cable for the dual
> tuner
>> > DVR. I currently have a single LNB dish with the new DVR and one older RCA
>> > receiver connected. Will the tech need to install a different dish or just
>> > splitter or whatever they are called?
>>
>> A regular dish has two outputs, so all it takes is running a new cable.
>>
>> > If a splitter is all that is needed can it be located near the DVR so that
> the
>> > one cable Ys into two cables? I'm just curious about how much work he will
> have
>> > to do and how much prep I will have to do.
>>
>> No, splitters do not work with DirecTV. If you plan on adding another
>> DirecTV receiver or two, you will need a multiswitch. But until then,
>> just two cables is all you need.
>> -Joe
>>

>Yes, splitters do work with directv, provided they can handle the
>correct frequency range.
What are you trying to tell the OP, yak? You are basically telling him bad
info that will most likely fry his box.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:21:26 PM

DanR <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
> working. When I said single LNB I was going by how the dish "looks" to
> me. It just has ONE of those thingies in front of the dish part. So...

There is one LNB "horn" in your round dish, pointed toward one satellite
position. There are two LNBs inside the horn, and two cables attached to
the back side.

--
---
April 18, 2005 10:41:55 PM

GMAN <glenzabr@nospamhere.xmission.com> wrote:
> theyak <yak@dev.null> wrote:

>>Yes, splitters do work with directv, provided they can handle the
>>correct frequency range.

> What are you trying to tell the OP, yak? You are basically telling him bad
> info that will most likely fry his box.

Splitters might work for two receivers, if only one is turned on at a time.
Not advisable, and "works" is loosely defined for the cheapskate.

That's not very useful for a DTivo, where the goal of two cables is to run
two separate tuners at the same time, possibly on adjacent channels.

--
---
April 18, 2005 11:38:27 PM

* Mike Hunt Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> In article <5jp761175t4db73laigqtacrn0m27us1ds@4ax.com>, Sean
> wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 03:52:22 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old
>>>RCA receiver. Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today.
>>
>> Too bad. It will be obsolete in a few months.
>
> Sean the troll is posting a lie. Sean, weren't you supposed to
> not post for a week for every lie you posted? His TiVo won't be
> obsolete for many years. There hasn't been a TiVo made yet that's
> been obsoleted.

Unlike the MANY comcast boxes that have had to be tossed (READ: Sent
back to Comcast) only to start all over again, but at least now they
have Tivo Programmers to teach them how to do it the right way.

--
David
Anonymous

In article <d40tov$h12$1@news.xmission.com>,
glenzabr@nospamhere.xmission.com says...
> In article <MPG.1ccd99ef254bde8c98a08d@news.easynews.com>, theyak <yak@dev.null> wrote:
> > tuner
> >>
> >> A regular dish has two outputs, so all it takes is running a new cable.

> > the
> > have
> >>
> >> No, splitters do not work with DirecTV. If you plan on adding another
> >> DirecTV receiver or two, you will need a multiswitch. But until then,
> >> just two cables is all you need.
> >> -Joe
> >>

> >Yes, splitters do work with directv, provided they can handle the
> >correct frequency range.
> What are you trying to tell the OP, yak? You are basically telling him bad
> info that will most likely fry his box.

What do you think a multiswitch is, eh? It's a high frequency splitter.
That's it. Go to radio shack and buy one.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:57:41 AM

In article <MPG.1ccddb6ae364236d98a08f@news.easynews.com>, theyak
<yak@dev.null> wrote:

> What do you think a multiswitch is, eh? It's a high frequency splitter.
> That's it. Go to radio shack and buy one.

This is not helpful to the OP, who's new to this and doesn't really
care about pedantism or how many electrons can dance on the horn of an
LNB.

He needs a multiswitch.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:13:43 AM

theyak <yak@dev.null> wrote:

>> >Yes, splitters do work with directv, provided they can handle the
>> >correct frequency range.

>> What are you trying to tell the OP, yak? You are basically telling him bad
>> info that will most likely fry his box.

>What do you think a multiswitch is, eh? It's a high frequency splitter.
>That's it. Go to radio shack and buy one.

That's not it. A splitter (high-frequency or otherwise) will not work
correctly for a DirecTV dish system.

DirecTV satellite feeds actually include two completely separate set
of transmissions on each frequency. The transmissions are polarized
differently - one is lefthand-circular polarized and the other is
righthand-circular polarized.

In a direct receiver-to-LNB hookup, the receiver controls which
polarization is being detected by the LNB, by changing the DC voltage
it feeds up to the LNB.

If you try to "split" a single-LNB feed between two receivers, then
the two receivers will be feeding different voltages to the LNB
roughly half of the time. When this happens, one of the two receivers
is certain to not get the set of signals it is expecting, and it'll be
unable to lock onto the channel it wants.

A Multiswitch is an actively-powered signal selector. In a simple
multi-receiver setup, the switch is hooked to two LNBs. The switch
forces one LNB into LCP mode, and the other into RCP mode, by feeding
the LNBs two different voltages. The switch then selectively feeds
one or the other of these sets of signals down to the receivers, based
on the DC voltage it sees on each of the "to receiver" ports.

You can't do this with a simple passive splitter, no matter how wide
its bandwidth. You need an active switch.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
April 19, 2005 2:42:55 AM

Dave Platt (dplatt@radagast.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> In article <MPG.1ccddb6ae364236d98a08f@news.easynews.com>,
> theyak <yak@dev.null> wrote:
>
> >What do you think a multiswitch is, eh? It's a high frequency splitter.
> >That's it. Go to radio shack and buy one.
>
> That's not it. A splitter (high-frequency or otherwise) will not work
> correctly for a DirecTV dish system.

Although it is true that by itself a high-frequency splitter will not cause
a single LNB to be able to feed two receivers arbitrary signals, there are
DirecTV installations where high-frequency splitters are used in conjunction
with one or more multiswitches.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/AngryTVGod.gif
April 19, 2005 3:38:55 AM

"theyak" <yak@dev.null> wrote in message

> What do you think a multiswitch is, eh? It's a high frequency splitter.
> That's it. Go to radio shack and buy one.

No it's not. A multi-switch and a splitter are 2 different things. The
only similarity they have is, that when properly used, will multiply
outputs. Not the same way though and that's the big difference.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:40:30 AM

theyak wrote:
> In article <9LCdnfAKBdKEif7fRVn-iw@comcast.com>, joe@inwap.com says...

>>No, splitters do not work with DirecTV. If you plan on adding another
>>DirecTV receiver or two, you will need a multiswitch. But until then,
>>just two cables is all you need.
>> -Joe
>
> Yes, splitters do work with directv, provided they can handle the
> correct frequency range.

No, they do not. A splitter cannot pass +13 volts and +18 volts
simultaneously. Each tuner needs to be able to independently
select between odd and even transponders. Splitters can't do
that - a multiswitch is needed instead.
-Joe
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:33:29 AM

In article <MPG.1cce3a3968c3536c989cbd@news.nabs.net>,
Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

>> That's not it. A splitter (high-frequency or otherwise) will not work
>> correctly for a DirecTV dish system.
>
>Although it is true that by itself a high-frequency splitter will not cause
>a single LNB to be able to feed two receivers arbitrary signals, there are
>DirecTV installations where high-frequency splitters are used in conjunction
>with one or more multiswitches.

True 'nuff. You can use simple high-frequency splitters in a
"stacked" installation.

It's possible to use a stacked setup for a home install, but it's
a very expensive solution. The only places I've heard of them being
used are for large installations (apartment houses, motels and hotels,
etc.) where the high cost of the stackers and unstackers is justified
and where using multiswitches simply isn't practical.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
April 19, 2005 4:10:46 PM

Dave Platt (dplatt@radagast.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> True 'nuff. You can use simple high-frequency splitters in a
> "stacked" installation.

You can also use them when all you have is available is 4x8 multiswitches
and need more than 8 outputs. You split the output from the 4 LNBs, use
4 splitters that only pass DC on one leg and hook those legs up to the
same multiswitch. This allows you to have up to 16 outputs using two 4x8
multiswitches and 4 splitters. Since we are talking DirecTiVos, you can see
how this might become necessary. :)

--
Jeff Rife | "I have a question that could affect our entire
| relationship...did you kill Coach Mattay?"
| "No!"
| "But, you did dress him up like a woman...?"
| "Yeah."
| "Just checking."
| -- Alex Lambert and Brian Hackett, "Wings"
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 5:19:03 PM

Jeff Rife wrote:
> Dave Platt (dplatt@radagast.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>>True 'nuff. You can use simple high-frequency splitters in a
>>"stacked" installation.
>

> You can also use them when all you have is available is 4x8 multiswitches
> and need more than 8 outputs. You split the output from the 4 LNBs, use
> 4 splitters that only pass DC on one leg and hook those legs up to the
> same multiswitch. This allows you to have up to 16 outputs using two 4x8
> multiswitches and 4 splitters. Since we are talking DirecTiVos, you can see
> how this might become necessary. :)

That's a *lot* of wires ;-).

Randy S.
April 19, 2005 10:17:22 PM

On 19 Apr 2005 10:54:23 -0700, relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:

....[snip]...

>It reminds me of a story my mother in law tells. This will only make
>full sense to Canadians out there.
>
>She was a 2nd grade teacher. During English class she did a lesson
>about the difference about "can" and "may." Essentially it was about
>the actual impications of "can I go to the bathroom" as opposed to "may
>I?" After many examples, questions thrown out to the kids, and
>probably half an hour of back and forth, she figured everybody had it.
>She asked if anybody had any last things to say, and one lone kid at
>the back of the class put up his hand.
>
>Though his name is lost to history, let's call him Sean.
>
>"Sean, would you like to say something, or ask a question about the
>word 'may'?"
>
>Sean takes a moment, then speaks.
>
>"My mom works at the Bay."
>
>(For any non Canadian readers, The Bay is a large national department
>store, kind of like Sears.)

ummm, forget Canadians, only mothers-in-law would get this 'joke'
April 19, 2005 11:35:49 PM

* Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> (For any non Canadian readers, The Bay is a large national department
> store, kind of like Sears.)

Damn, I was waiting for the punch but I still didnt get it. I was
thinking Sean was going to ask "*Can* I go to the Bathroom?"

--
David
April 20, 2005 5:57:21 AM

What is the logic behind the buffered ½ hour that is saved for two channels with
the Directivo dual tuners? I would expect it to buffer the two most recently
viewed channels. It doesn't seem to do that. Example: I'm flipping through
channels and stop on one and watch it for a minute for two. Then I directly
switch to another channel and watch it for a minute or two. When I return to the
previous channel the buffer is completely empty. If I return to a channel that I
had been watching earlier the buffered program is still there. I would like to
be able to switch back and forth between two channels and have both of them
buffered.
I suppose I'll learn about this after playing around with the box for a few
days... but I hate to wait.

DanR wrote:
> I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA receiver.
> Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today. Model R10 80GB drive. I
> have a few questions for you folks.
> Is there just one quality setting? I seem to recall people talking about
> various quality settings in the past.
> I could have sworn, reading the manual that somewhere it mentioned max
> recording time as "up to X minutes". Now that I'm dazed from reading the
> entire book I can't find that paragraph. So I'm wondering... if there is only
> one quality setting and the hard drive is 80GB why would the recording time
> vary. Does it use variably bit rate?
> And... I signed up for the TIVO service... but did I really have to? What
> functions would I not have had I not signed up for TIVO? Could I still pause
> live TV? Could I still record selected shows? Would I not have the "guide"?
> At this time I only have a single LNB dish. Next week installation person will
> fix me up so I can use the dual tuners. Silly question but here goes. With the
> dual tuners I can record a show and watch a show at the same time. I can
> record two shows at the same time but can not watch a different channel while
> recording 2 shows. Is this correct?
> The RCA receiver had settings for multiple people. I could choose NOT to show
> channels in the guide that I don't ever watch for me and other family member
> could do likewise for them. Is that feature gone from the DTV Tivo boxes>
> I will re-read the manual tomorrow and experiment but would appreciate any
> help.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 5:57:22 AM

DanR wrote:
> What is the logic behind the buffered ½ hour that is saved for two channels with
> the Directivo dual tuners? I would expect it to buffer the two most recently
> viewed channels. It doesn't seem to do that. Example: I'm flipping through
> channels and stop on one and watch it for a minute for two. Then I directly
> switch to another channel and watch it for a minute or two. When I return to the
> previous channel the buffer is completely empty. If I return to a channel that I
> had been watching earlier the buffered program is still there. I would like to
> be able to switch back and forth between two channels and have both of them
> buffered.
> I suppose I'll learn about this after playing around with the box for a few
> days... but I hate to wait.

I don't have a Directivo w/ dual tuners, but I'd imagine what's
happening is that it has a 30 minute buffer for each tuner. In the
first instance you describe (flipping to another channel and the buffer
is gone), you are probably changing the channel on the tuner you are
watching which will empty the buffer when you choose a new channel. In
the second instance (viewing a different channel, but the original
buffer is *retained*) you are probably flipping between the two
*tuners*, thus you are not changing channels on either tuner and neither
buffer is being reset.

Does that make sense?

Randy S.
April 20, 2005 6:42:45 AM

Randy S. wrote:
> DanR wrote:
>> What is the logic behind the buffered ½ hour that is saved for two channels
>> with the Directivo dual tuners? I would expect it to buffer the two most
>> recently viewed channels. It doesn't seem to do that. Example: I'm flipping
>> through channels and stop on one and watch it for a minute for two. Then I
>> directly switch to another channel and watch it for a minute or two. When I
>> return to the previous channel the buffer is completely empty. If I return
>> to a channel that I had been watching earlier the buffered program is still
>> there. I would like to be able to switch back and forth between two channels
>> and have both of them buffered.
>> I suppose I'll learn about this after playing around with the box for a few
>> days... but I hate to wait.
>
> I don't have a Directivo w/ dual tuners, but I'd imagine what's
> happening is that it has a 30 minute buffer for each tuner. In the
> first instance you describe (flipping to another channel and the buffer
> is gone), you are probably changing the channel on the tuner you are
> watching which will empty the buffer when you choose a new channel. In
> the second instance (viewing a different channel, but the original
> buffer is *retained*) you are probably flipping between the two
> *tuners*, thus you are not changing channels on either tuner and neither
> buffer is being reset.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Randy S.

Yea, that makes sense but sounds like poor engineering in that I have no control
over which channels will be buffered. I know of no way to choose which tuner to
use.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:42:46 AM

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>Yea, that makes sense but sounds like poor engineering in that I have
>no control over which channels will be buffered. I know of no way to
>choose which tuner to use.

Yes you do: Hit the down arrow to switch tuners.

Things get confusing since TiVo won't let you set both tuners to the
same channel (though, it can get in that state, for instance after a
reboot). So, if you switch tuners and then change the channel to the
same channel as the other tuner, nothing happens, you just switch
tuners again.

I do this all the time, watch something like a sports game live, and
when I'm caught up, do a bit of channel surfing on the other tuner
till I have enough buffer to skip commercials/boring plays.

--
<script language="JavaScript">// Scott Seligman
for(var i=0;i<73;i++)document.write(String.fromCharCode(("lsYrsiwb7pir~~|=~fr"+

> Yea, that makes sense but sounds like poor engineering in that I have no
> control
> over which channels will be buffered. I know of no way to choose which
> tuner to
> use.

It's not poor engineering, it's by design.

Down arrow to swap tuners. Set each tuner to the channel you want buffered
and change tuners to move back and forth. Now you have the control you
seek.

But you may find that, like many of us, that buffering becomes an almost
non-issue as you may start to watch all shows from recordings and LiveTV may
become a thing of the past.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 8:37:01 AM

DanR <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
> What is the logic behind the buffered = hour that is saved for two
> channels with the Directivo dual tuners? I would expect it to buffer the
> two most recently viewed channels. It doesn't seem to do that. Example:

It buffers each tuner. As you are "surfing", you are changing channels on
one tuner most of the time. You lose the buffer each time you change
channels.

> completely empty. If I return to a channel that I had been watching
> earlier the buffered program is still there. I would like to be able to

If the other tuner happens to already be on the channel that you switched
to, it swaps tuners instead of changing the channel. Now you are buffering
the channel you were watching last, plus the one you are watching now.
This is confusing.

> switch back and forth between two channels and have both of them
> buffered. I suppose I'll learn about this after playing around with the
> box for a few days... but I hate to wait.

You can toggle between the two tuners with the LiveTV button. Using the
down arrow also works, unless the info screen is displayed, so I don't like
to use it.

If you are watching something "live" and want to surf during a commercial,
you could deliberately swap to the other tuner, surf around, and then swap
back. This is a little hazardous, though. If you happen to surf back to
the channel you want to save, you might inadvertently change channels
instead of swapping tuners, and the buffer would be gone.

If I am going to do some alternate tuner surfing, I hit "record". That
keeps one tuner stuck on that channel. I can LiveTV, surf around, and
LiveTV back to the other channel. Or you can "list", which will display
the "now playing" list, and your desired show should be at the top of the
list.

---
April 20, 2005 2:48:33 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:38:27 GMT, SINNER
<arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:

>* Mike Hunt Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>> In article <5jp761175t4db73laigqtacrn0m27us1ds@4ax.com>, Sean
>> wrote:

>>> Too bad. It will be obsolete in a few months.
>>
>> Sean the troll is posting a lie. Sean, weren't you supposed to
>> not post for a week for every lie you posted? His TiVo won't be
>> obsolete for many years. There hasn't been a TiVo made yet that's
>> been obsoleted.
>>

>Unlike the MANY comcast boxes that have had to be tossed (READ: Sent
>back to Comcast) only to start all over again, but at least now they
>have Tivo Programmers to teach them how to do it the right way.

READ: Upgraded for FREE.

Sean
April 20, 2005 2:51:08 PM

On 19 Apr 2005 15:46:15 -0700, relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:

>> My, my. It's "Mr. I'm not going to post anymore because I'm tired of
>> getting bitch slapped."
>>
>> Welcome back, dillweed.
>>
>> Sean
>
>You just keep telling yourself that, Sean. Everybody loves you.

Are you sure you're not an abused wife?

I keep slapping you and you promise to be better and not cause any
more problems but yet you still come back for more abuse.

I think you need to find yourself a shelter to take you in.

So sad.

Sean
April 20, 2005 2:52:46 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:15:39 -0400, "Randy S."
<rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>I don't have a Directivo w/ dual tuners, but

But Randy is going to spew some gibberrish anyway.

Thanks a lot Randy, you're a big help.

Sean
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 5:01:25 PM

In article <5Gi9e.489$%L1.137@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

> What is the logic behind the buffered ½ hour that is saved for two channels
> with
> the Directivo dual tuners? I would expect it to buffer the two most recently
> viewed channels. It doesn't seem to do that. Example: I'm flipping through
> channels and stop on one and watch it for a minute for two. Then I directly
> switch to another channel and watch it for a minute or two. When I return to
> the
> previous channel the buffer is completely empty. If I return to a channel
> that I
> had been watching earlier the buffered program is still there. I would like
> be able to switch back and forth between two channels and have both of them
> buffered.
> I suppose I'll learn about this after playing around with the box for a few
> days... but I hate to wait.

If you switch between two channels using the "down" option button you'll
have 2 buffered channels.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 5:31:53 PM

Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
> If you switch between two channels using the "down" option button you'll
> have 2 buffered channels.

Unless you start changing channels on the other tuner and go to the channel
that the first tuner is already using. At that point, you will switch
tuners, and if you continue changing channels, you will lose the buffer for
the channel that you thought you had safely left buffering while you were
surfing on the other tuner.

--
---
April 20, 2005 6:38:28 PM

>>I don't have a Directivo w/ dual tuners, but
>

> But Randy is going to spew some gibberrish anyway.
>
> Thanks a lot Randy, you're a big help.
>
> Sean

Amazing, the information I provided turned out to be exactly right!?
What do you know, it seems to be possible to learn information and pass
it on without actually having to personally experience it! Sure makes
history teachers' jobs easier, does't it?

I said that at the top of my post because I realize (unlike you) that
I'm not infallible and since I couldn't test the answer I had no way of
confirming it. I was 99% sure of the answer, but I had the humility and
the honesty to post a caveat. I was also trying to convey that others
who *do* own a Directivo should correct and expand on my response.
Which they did (expand that is) very nicely.

Randy S.
April 20, 2005 7:23:51 PM

"Sean" <none> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:15:39 -0400, "Randy S."
> <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I don't have a Directivo w/ dual tuners, but
>
> But Randy is going to spew some gibberrish anyway.
>
> Thanks a lot Randy, you're a big help.

Actually he was a help. The info he gave was correct.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:50:10 PM

Randy S. <rswittNO@spamgmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have a Directivo w/ dual tuners, but I'd imagine what's
> happening is that it has a 30 minute buffer for each tuner. In the
> first instance you describe (flipping to another channel and the buffer
> is gone), you are probably changing the channel on the tuner you are
> watching which will empty the buffer when you choose a new channel. In
> the second instance (viewing a different channel, but the original
> buffer is *retained*) you are probably flipping between the two
> *tuners*, thus you are not changing channels on either tuner and neither
> buffer is being reset.

The missing piece is that you _think_ you have two separate controls on a
DirecTivo.
1- LiveTV or Down Arrow to switch tuners
2- Channel up/down or number pad to change channels on a tuner.

The problem is that while "1" always swaps tuners, "2" will also swap
tuners if the other tuner is already on the channel you are requesting.

If you don't remain aware of that, your buffer can be lost for a
channel that you wanted to buffer.

--
---
April 21, 2005 12:46:23 AM

* Sean Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:15:39 -0400, "Randy S."
> <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I don't have a Directivo w/ dual tuners, but
>
> But Randy is going to spew some gibberrish anyway.
>
> Thanks a lot Randy, you're a big help.
>
> Sean

Yet he was on the money, unlike you who has never owned a Tivo and yet
you seem to be intimately knowledgeable of the whole product line. Yeah
you're right, oust Ramsey and get shawnie boi in ther right quick now
ya hear?

--
David
Anonymous

In article <Xns963EA0ECCE322Louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.130>, SINNER
<arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:

> * Sean Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:15:39 -0400, "Randy S."
> > <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I don't have a Directivo w/ dual tuners, but
> >
> > But Randy is going to spew some gibberrish anyway.
> >
> > Thanks a lot Randy, you're a big help.
> >
> > Sean
>
> Yet he was on the money, unlike you who has never owned a Tivo and yet
> you seem to be intimately knowledgeable of the whole product line. Yeah
> you're right, oust Ramsey and get shawnie boi in ther right quick now
> ya hear?

No, he said he has a TiVo. He keeps it in the closet, where all his
friends live. Don't you remember?

What we don't know is how long Sean has been out of the closet.
April 21, 2005 12:46:52 AM

* Sean Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> READ: Upgraded for FREE.

Read: Not necessary for Tivo because I own the box and can repair it
without their help or thier restrictions.

--
David
April 21, 2005 4:07:55 AM

Thanks to all of you for your help. I'm getting the hang of this contraption.
After getting the 2nd cable hooked up after owning the box for a few days I
wanted ALL the features to work. I couldn't figure out the buffering and the
manual isn't very clear about this. I expect that the "live TV" button will work
best for me as I can bounce back and forth quickly. Using the down arrow
requires me to wait for the station info super to timeout. After living with the
Directivo for a while the buffer issue may not be that important but it is odd
that it can be lost if one is not careful. (setting both tuners to the same
channel) Everything else is very slick and pausing live TV is a hoot for someone
who never had that capability before.

DanR wrote:
> What is the logic behind the buffered ½ hour that is saved for two channels
> with the Directivo dual tuners? I would expect it to buffer the two most
> recently viewed channels. It doesn't seem to do that. Example: I'm flipping
> through channels and stop on one and watch it for a minute for two. Then I
> directly switch to another channel and watch it for a minute or two. When I
> return to the previous channel the buffer is completely empty. If I return to
> a channel that I had been watching earlier the buffered program is still
> there. I would like to be able to switch back and forth between two channels
> and have both of them buffered.
> I suppose I'll learn about this after playing around with the box for a few
> days... but I hate to wait.
>
> DanR wrote:
>> I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA receiver.
>> Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today. Model R10 80GB drive. I
>> have a few questions for you folks.
>> Is there just one quality setting? I seem to recall people talking about
>> various quality settings in the past.
>> I could have sworn, reading the manual that somewhere it mentioned max
>> recording time as "up to X minutes". Now that I'm dazed from reading the
>> entire book I can't find that paragraph. So I'm wondering... if there is only
>> one quality setting and the hard drive is 80GB why would the recording time
>> vary. Does it use variably bit rate?
>> And... I signed up for the TIVO service... but did I really have to? What
>> functions would I not have had I not signed up for TIVO? Could I still pause
>> live TV? Could I still record selected shows? Would I not have the "guide"?
>> At this time I only have a single LNB dish. Next week installation person
>> will fix me up so I can use the dual tuners. Silly question but here goes.
>> With the dual tuners I can record a show and watch a show at the same time.
>> I can record two shows at the same time but can not watch a different
>> channel while recording 2 shows. Is this correct?
>> The RCA receiver had settings for multiple people. I could choose NOT to show
>> channels in the guide that I don't ever watch for me and other family member
>> could do likewise for them. Is that feature gone from the DTV Tivo boxes>
>> I will re-read the manual tomorrow and experiment but would appreciate any
>> help.
April 21, 2005 4:49:12 AM

DanR wrote:
> Thanks to all of you for your help. I'm getting the hang of this contraption.
> After getting the 2nd cable hooked up after owning the box for a few days I
> wanted ALL the features to work. I couldn't figure out the buffering and the
> manual isn't very clear about this. I expect that the "live TV" button will
> work best for me as I can bounce back and forth quickly. Using the down arrow
> requires me to wait for the station info super to timeout. After living with
> the Directivo for a while the buffer issue may not be that important but it
> is odd that it can be lost if one is not careful. (setting both tuners to the
> same channel) Everything else is very slick and pausing live TV is a hoot for
> someone who never had that capability before.

But wait... My buffer is NOT being destroyed. Say I watch channel 2 for a while
and build up a buffer. Then I switch tuners using the "live TV" button. Now I'm
on some other channel with some leftover buffer. Then without switching tuners I
manually (or channel up/down) select channel 2 and happily my buffer is still
there.
For what it's worth my software version is 6.1-01-2-521

> DanR wrote:
>> What is the logic behind the buffered ½ hour that is saved for two channels
>> with the Directivo dual tuners? I would expect it to buffer the two most
>> recently viewed channels. It doesn't seem to do that. Example: I'm flipping
>> through channels and stop on one and watch it for a minute for two. Then I
>> directly switch to another channel and watch it for a minute or two. When I
>> return to the previous channel the buffer is completely empty. If I return to
>> a channel that I had been watching earlier the buffered program is still
>> there. I would like to be able to switch back and forth between two channels
>> and have both of them buffered.
>> I suppose I'll learn about this after playing around with the box for a few
>> days... but I hate to wait.
>>
>> DanR wrote:
>>> I am an existing Direct TV customer who until today had the old RCA
>>> receiver. Just bought the Direct TV tivo at Best Buy today. Model R10 80GB
>>> drive. I have a few questions for you folks.
>>> Is there just one quality setting? I seem to recall people talking about
>>> various quality settings in the past.
>>> I could have sworn, reading the manual that somewhere it mentioned max
>>> recording time as "up to X minutes". Now that I'm dazed from reading the
>>> entire book I can't find that paragraph. So I'm wondering... if there is
>>> only one quality setting and the hard drive is 80GB why would the recording
>>> time vary. Does it use variably bit rate?
>>> And... I signed up for the TIVO service... but did I really have to? What
>>> functions would I not have had I not signed up for TIVO? Could I still pause
>>> live TV? Could I still record selected shows? Would I not have the "guide"?
>>> At this time I only have a single LNB dish. Next week installation person
>>> will fix me up so I can use the dual tuners. Silly question but here goes.
>>> With the dual tuners I can record a show and watch a show at the same time.
>>> I can record two shows at the same time but can not watch a different
>>> channel while recording 2 shows. Is this correct?
>>> The RCA receiver had settings for multiple people. I could choose NOT to
>>> show channels in the guide that I don't ever watch for me and other family
>>> member could do likewise for them. Is that feature gone from the DTV Tivo
>>> boxes>
>>> I will re-read the manual tomorrow and experiment but would appreciate any
>>> help.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:28:50 AM

DanR <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

> But wait... My buffer is NOT being destroyed. Say I watch channel 2 for a
> while and build up a buffer. Then I switch tuners using the "live TV"
> button. Now I'm on some other channel with some leftover buffer. Then
> without switching tuners I manually (or channel up/down) select channel 2
> and happily my buffer is still there.

You're watching channel 2, and it goes to commercial. You switch to the
other tuner and start surfing, and stumble onto channel 2 which causes a
tuner swap. Channel 2 is on commercial, so you continue surfing. You lost
the buffer on channel 2. The other tuner has the buffer for the last
channel you were on before 2.

---
April 21, 2005 5:28:51 AM

dold@XReXXDirec.usenet.us.com wrote:
> DanR <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>

>>But wait... My buffer is NOT being destroyed. Say I watch channel 2 for a
>>while and build up a buffer. Then I switch tuners using the "live TV"
>>button. Now I'm on some other channel with some leftover buffer. Then
>>without switching tuners I manually (or channel up/down) select channel 2
>>and happily my buffer is still there.
>

> You're watching channel 2, and it goes to commercial. You switch to the
> other tuner and start surfing, and stumble onto channel 2 which causes a
> tuner swap. Channel 2 is on commercial, so you continue surfing. You lost
> the buffer on channel 2. The other tuner has the buffer for the last
> channel you were on before 2.

You know, I can see why they designed it like that (figuring that nobody
would want to buffer the same station twice), but I think they should
change it, it's just not as intuitive in actual practice. Better to let
a non-optimal situation occur once in a while (i.e. buffering the same
station twice) rather than risk the user blowing away a buffer they
might have wanted.

Randy S.
      • 1 / 2
      • 2