Sign in with
Your question

HD Channels thru integrated tv tuner. PLEASE HELP!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2009 8:00:21 PM

Ok, so I have an HP DV7t notebook that I bought in August of last year. I am running windows 7 Media Center, and have installed the latest drivers for my integrated tv tuner. My computer came with both an antenna, and an adapter connecting a coax cable straight to my computer.

The problem:
I have an HDTV in the living room of my apartment. It gets basic channels 2-98, as well as like 8 HD channels(all in the 1501-1550 range), and then some other random channels with numbers like 117-77(both numbers represent one channel) and 92-13(same). This service is through Time Warner, which is provided by my apartment. I do not have a set top box.

When connecting my computer to a cable jack via the included adapter, I only get the basic channels 2-98. The other channels do not even show up in the guide. My girlfriend(in the same apartment complex) has an external ATI tv card and it shows the other channels in the guide, but she cannot watch them. The quality of these channels is mediocre at best, but is that because my computer has a resolution of 1680x1050? Would the SD channels be fuzzier on a higher resolution? I ask because my tv has a resolution of 1366x768, and SD channels look better on that. I have also noticed that the SD channels take up the whole screen on my 16:9 tv, but no where near the whole screen on my 16:10 on my laptop. In fact, it looks more like a 4:3 than any kind of widescreen because the bars on the sides are pretty big. There is no option for 16:10 in WMC.

When I use the included antenna, I get all of the HD channels, and a few of the other random ones (they are numbered differently however), but none of the basic channels. The quality of the HD channels is great, probably almost as good as on my television.

The questions:
1) is there a way to make the picture quality of the SD channels better on my laptop? (I have my settings in WMC set to record in best quality)
2) is there a way to get the basic channels AND the HD channels on to my laptop via coax cable and adapter?

Extra Info:
When I set up my tv signal using the coax cable and adapter, it shows I am using Analog Cable.
When I set up my tv signal using the HP antenna, it shows that I have a Digital Antenna (ATSC): Digital Terrestrial Lineup (1 Tuner).

Should it be showing up as a Digital Cable signal when I connect via cable jack and adapter? I think that the cable my apartment provides is Digital, but I am not sure (remember I don't have a cable box). Is this problem as simple as me needing to try an alternate cable jack with my computer?

Thanks for any help/information you can give. This is really bugging me, because there are programs I would like to record (in good quality) and it would be kind of annoying to keep having to switch between antenna and cable jack for HD and SD channels...
September 7, 2009 8:28:25 PM

Digital cable channels need to be fed through a digital cable box to be decoded and viewed. Analog cable channels and ota digital channels don't have encryption, thus don't need and external box. That is likely your problem.
m
l
September 7, 2009 8:34:14 PM

orangegator said:
Digital cable channels need to be fed through a digital cable box to be decoded and viewed. Analog cable channels and ota digital channels don't have encryption, thus don't need and external box. That is likely your problem.

I just don't understand how I can get all channels (basic and HD) on my HDTV without a cable box then. Does that mean that my tv uses both a hard coax cable connection AND an integrated antenna inside the tv itself to get all of those channels? I really don't have very much knowledge of cable tv terms and what not. I do understand though that digital cable stations are encrypted, and therefore I cannot get them without a cable box from the company.

BTW my tv is a 32" 720p Samsung LCD.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2009 8:51:56 PM

the free channels you can get through the cable. but anything else is encoded and you cannot receive it. the free channels anybody can access by simply connecting to a tv that has a tuner. anyother channel you need a box.
m
l
September 7, 2009 8:56:05 PM

godless said:
the free channels you can get through the cable. but anything else is encoded and you cannot receive it. the free channels anybody can access by simply connecting to a tv that has a tuner. anyother channel you need a box.

Right, I get free HD channels on my tv. But I cannot seem to get those same free HD channels on WMC unless I use an over the air antenna.

Does my tv have a built in over the air feature(like a built in antenna)? If so, than this just means that I will not be able to get HD programs on my laptop without switching connection from a hard line coax to an antenna. I am starting to think this is the case.
m
l
September 7, 2009 9:56:06 PM

i know that there are some issues with the vista media center and qam ( unscrambled cable channels), mainly not all of them can read it. i believe the problem has to do with vista not supporting it. i read about these things on reviews of ati 650 tv tuners. i'm presuming that the problem is not only bound to ati, but hauppauge and the rest.

i only yesterday ordered my hauppauge 2250 tv tuner,, so i'm hoping that i will get the channels on windows 7 media center.
m
l
September 7, 2009 10:49:16 PM

godless said:
i know that there are some issues with the vista media center and qam ( unscrambled cable channels), mainly not all of them can read it. i believe the problem has to do with vista not supporting it. i read about these things on reviews of ati 650 tv tuners. i'm presuming that the problem is not only bound to ati, but hauppauge and the rest.

i only yesterday ordered my hauppauge 2250 tv tuner,, so i'm hoping that i will get the channels on windows 7 media center.

I am using Windows 7/Windows 7 MC and am having problems. Maybe it will work fine for you.
m
l
September 7, 2009 11:04:33 PM

computer tv tuners need more signal to get tv reception (or have more interference etc) - get a booster if you dont already have one

i got a booster on my arial, aswell as near my pc to sort of "reboost" the signal to help pick up every channel i can get
m
l
!